Would this setup be possible/great idea? (Amp/Reactive Load/FRFR)

Any considerations? Thanks

nx9puf.png

As is always the case with such things, it is subjective and a matter of if you like it, but with that said not sure what the goal is here.

I assume you are plugging the guitar into the combo amp of some sort and sending the signal to the load box and then to the axe-fx to add effects and cab. The first question is does this amp not have an FX loop? If it has a loop you can just get the signal from there and send it to the axe-fx no need for load box. If the amp does not have such a loop I suppose this would be fine.

As is always the case with such things, it is subjective and a matter of if you like it, but with that said not sure what the goal is here.

I assume you are plugging the guitar into the combo amp of some sort and sending the signal to the load box and then to the axe-fx to add effects and cab. The first question is does this amp not have an FX loop? If it has a loop you can just get the signal from there and send it to the axe-fx no need for load box. If the amp does not have such a loop I suppose this would be fine.

Thanks for your reply. The goal is to achieve a "DIY" wet/dry setup with my existing gear (minus reactive load). I do believe tapping off the signal from the effects loop and from you speaker out is not the same thing. You would miss the entire power section of the amp et.c. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Your set up as per diagram would work signal wise - but :

Your 'wet' feed via the Axe-FX and CLR would be a modelled cab + mic tone (courtesy of the Cab block in Axe-FX) - so it would differ a lot from what you hear from your dry amp (the combo) speaker.

Even if you were to shoot your own IR of your combo's speaker and make a User Cab for use in the Axe-FX, it will still bake in the mic you used to do the capture with.

So in effect it would be something like using your combo as backline then mic'ing it up and then having the Axe-FX in your channel on the FOH console channel insert and then that signal fed back to a stage monitor which you'd then place beside your combo. Not apples and apples.

If you want true wet/dry with consistent amp/speaker tone you'd need either:

(a) 2 identical combos - put the Axe-FX in the loop of the dry combo, do not include any Cab block in it's blocks, and feed a dry signal back to the dry combo's FX return and feed the wet signal to the other combo's FX loop return. Your wet and dry signals could be engineered in the Axe-FX routing using either a FXL block to use Output 2 separate from Output 1 - or you could separate the wet and dry signal paths using left and right panning in blocks.

(b) Use the Reactive load box to pull in the attenuated combo's preamp and power amp tone to the Axe-FX - use a stereo Cab block or 2 mono cab blocks and then feed 2 powered CLRs from the AxeFX - one side dry the other side 'wet'. You would need to disconnect the speaker in the combo completely.

Easiest way - leave the combo at home and use 1 Axe-FX and 2 CLRs in FRFR mode. You could try 'tone matching' your combo in the Axe-FX if none of the current factory amp models do not meet your requirements.

Your set up as per diagram would work signal wise - but :

Your 'wet' feed via the Axe-FX and CLR would be a modelled cab + mic tone (courtesy of the Cab block in Axe-FX) - so it would differ a lot from what you hear from your dry amp (the combo) speaker.

Even if you were to shoot your own IR of your combo's speaker and make a User Cab for use in the Axe-FX, it will still bake in the mic you used to do the capture with.

So in effect it would be something like using your combo as backline then mic'ing it up and then having the Axe-FX in your channel on the FOH console channel insert and then that signal fed back to a stage monitor which you'd then place beside your combo. Not apples and apples.

If you want true wet/dry with consistent amp/speaker tone you'd need either:

(a) 2 identical combos - put the Axe-FX in the loop of the dry combo, do not include any Cab block in it's blocks, and feed a dry signal back to the dry combo's FX return and feed the wet signal to the other combo's FX loop return. Your wet and dry signals could be engineered in the Axe-FX routing using either a FXL block to use Output 2 separate from Output 1 - or you could separate the wet and dry signal paths using left and right panning in blocks.

(b) Use the Reactive load box to pull in the attenuated combo's preamp and power amp tone to the Axe-FX - use a stereo Cab block or 2 mono cab blocks and then feed 2 powered CLRs from the AxeFX - one side dry the other side 'wet'. You would need to disconnect the speaker in the combo completely.

Easiest way - leave the combo at home and use 1 Axe-FX and 2 CLRs in FRFR mode. You could try 'tone matching' your combo in the Axe-FX if none of the current factory amp models do not meet your requirements.

Thanks! Sounds reasonable with the mic being part of the IR. Would be interesting though to hear how much it would differ from the "real amp" sound. Anyway, thought I was on to something :(

Back
Top Bottom