Would Someone Mind Pushing Me In The Right Direction To Emulate This Guitar Effect....

Davus PG

Inspired
I can't get it with the delay block, is there some pitch thing going on too?

Any ideas or tips greatly appreciated

It's at 3'33 on this epic track, although easiest to hear at 3'47 - for those of a certain age from the UK it reminds me of The Clangers!

Last edited:
Delay in front of the amp.

Essential to do Jimmy Page. Obviously this is a more recent video, but it's easy to forget given the abundance and ease of our current tech that most of the classic tones we worship were the result of the limitations of gear at the time. While studio recording meant reverb anywhere in the chain, live, most players we worship from the "early days" were rippin' it before fx loops became popular... or even existed. Options were simply in front of the amp or a very complex setup to do post delay anywhere except the board.

Check out the studio stem of Whole Lotta Love. It's "around." The solo has an absolutely beautiful analog delay in front of the amp that naturally ducks as the playing compresses the very stressed out amplifier and speaker.

Last edited:
Yep many vintage tones were everything out front. Put spring reverb in front of a pushed amp and it's instant Dick Dale/surf guitar wash. Country/Rockabilly slap back echo is better out front too. Changes the whole vibe. It's often a chaotic train wreck in front of a modern high gain amp though. Sometimes that's a good thing though.

Thank you for the replies guys, much appreciated

I'm a little ashamed to say that despite playing as long as I have, I have always put delay in the loop - never stopped to think how it was done on so many of those great recordings before the days of effect loops

Spent the day watching various YouTube videos on delays before the amp and of course experimenting with the Axe, haven't nailed the tone from the video quite yet, but am getting there.

One thing I've found is that with the mix as low as 3% the repeats are almost as loud as the dry signal, discovered that reducing input gain in the mix page of the delay block helps, is that the best way to control the volume of repeats when running the delay in front?

Back
Top Bottom