Would it be worth upgrading my studio monitors?

VidarAus

Experienced
Hi,

I have a newly acquired AX8 (which I love beyond words). I am playing through a (8 year) old set of Behringer Truth 2030A monitors. I use them mainly to monitor the AX8 (and previously an Axe FX Standard), I don't do any song mixing / recording e.t.c. beyond putting my own guitar parts into backing track mixes.

I am wondering if it is time for an upgrade? Principally I would like to move a bit more air and have a bit more low end, so perhaps moving to an 8 inch woofer would work. That said, the Behringer's sport a 6 3/4" woofer.

I am looking at the Presonus Eris E8 as a possibility.

But, on a cost/benefit scale how much better would they be for my use case?

The Behringer's still function, but would a new and higher quality monitor be a lot better?

Anyone here own / heard both the Behringer's I refer to and the Eris E8 (or another similar, new 8" monitor) and care to provide their thoughts for use with fractal gear?

I know this is all subjective, and of course a newer and better monitor will sound better, but just trying to gauge what the bang for buck would be like given my current monitors do technically 'work'.

Also, would room treatment be a better investment?

Thanks for the thoughts and discussion.

VidarAus

Gday Vidaraus,
Absolutely! It would be one of the best things you could do, and will change the end result of all your music. I cannot state that strongly enough. Your monitors are to your audio, the equivilent to the lenses in your eyes.

I don't have experience with the Presonus, however the theory is sound. Get the best you can afford, and listen to people (not the Internet, and not the people that are selling them) - figure out your budget and get the most accurate you can afford.

Oh - also, your patches will sound better if you play through PA systems or other people's gear because they have been setup using accurate monitoring.
Good luck
Pauly

Gday Vidaraus,
Absolutely! It would be one of the best things you could do, and will change the end result of all your music. I cannot state that strongly enough. Your monitors are to your audio, the equivilent to the lenses in your eyes.

I don't have experience with the Presonus, however the theory is sound. Get the best you can afford, and listen to people (not the Internet, and not the people that are selling them) - figure out your budget and get the most accurate you can afford.

Oh - also, your patches will sound better if you play through PA systems or other people's gear because they have been setup using accurate monitoring.
Good luck
Pauly

Thanks for the advice Pauly.

By way of an update, I went out and got myself a set of Presonus Eris E8's. This is the BEST decision I have made, other than upgrading from the Axe Standard to the AX8. These monitors are killer. Not just for monitoring the AX8, but for general music listening and audio bliss too. I have a small room where I use them, and going for the 8 inch woofers was well worth it. For playing guitar, it gives you more thump and low end which I just couldn't get with a smaller driver.

Bottom line is, if you were like me and on the fence about getting some decent monitors get off that fence and go and do it. I am a very happy camper indeed. Oh, and don't be fooled by the idea that you need small monitors in a small room. In my own experience, and for playing guitar, this is a mistake and bigger is better :)

Back
Top Bottom