Worth getting AXE iii in 2020?

I'll just throw this out there... Fractal hardware holds its value amazingly well... when I wanted to upgrade to the III I think I sold my II on ebay in about 60 minutes after posting it. So if you were to buy a III and in 6 months the IV was released and you had some buyers remorse I think you'd be able to upgrade again at minimal financial bourdon. It's such an awesome piece of gear... I am blown away hourly by what can be done with it.

There's no point in waiting for new versions of tech, especially from Fractal. Buy whatever is available to maximize inspiration output today, when waiting for something that may or may not come means you accomplish nothing.
That reads like an instagram model platitude but it comes from real experience.

I so totally hear you, OP. I jumped into Fractal World when I paid $2,399 for a 2XL+ in Oct. 2017 — right before they dropped to $1,999. AF3 came out 3mos after that and I was not very pleased, as we all know FAS has no 90-day product/price protection policy as some (clearly larger) manufacturers do. I Reverb’d my XL+ in March 2020 and moved up to the AF3. All in all, 10/17 thru 3/20 was not a wonderful monetary introduction to this product line.

So — with the AF3 I’ve been reminded that you’re buying hardware, yes, but you’re also buying the experience of sharing (or “riding on the coattails of ...” in my case) usage expertise and the talents of some pretty amazing people. Great hardware, great community — and did i mention it sounds terrific?

Not a cheap upgrade, but the best seldom is.

Cheers,
Bruce

Axe FX III... Hands down!!!
Take the cliff dive into the cool blue
Axe III waters below!

The best guitar everything box out there in the market, hands down!!!!!

Oh yeah, it's worth it... If you're strong enough.

Ten points to the person who can identify this quote, WITHOUT GOOGLING IT.

I guessed "The Dead Pool". I saw someone else mentioned Men In Black (M.I.B.). I haven't looked it up, so I'm going to stick with "The Dead Pool".

omg is really crazy how some people ask this kind of question
If you’re referring to the OP then OMG, perhaps it’s really not. Many people these days — esp. musicians — are out of work and watching every penny. Hard to fault someone for trying to spend their money wisely.

If you’re referring to the OP then OMG, perhaps it’s really not. Many people these days — esp. musicians — are out of work and watching every penny. Hard to fault someone for trying to spend their money wisely.
come on man,do you think im rich?when i want to buy something i buy it,period,,,,,buy it,test it,if there is a new device version,sell it and get the new one,that is something that always do.

Love it so much I might buy a second one in 2020.
Seriously the most used, most fun, most well built/designed piece of gear I have ever used.
I cant believe I waited so long honestly. Bought a II used and tried it out. Sold it and bought a III. It was a great move.

I can't even imagine how the III is going to be improved upon... more horsepower maybe? Double up on the Amp/Cab blocks to run quad amp rigs?

The firmware / modeling is so stupid good that I can't imagine there being all that much more left to do.

But knowing Cliff he's got a few tricks up his sleeve

its the currency conversion from CAD to USD that hurts either way. I remember around 15 yrs ago ,IRC, there was a short time we were on par. I dream that happens again and i'll snatch a III

You are going to be waiting an awful long time for the $ to be at par, I bet!
I know with the duties and exchange, etc...it is a lot more expensive. I bought mine when it first came out at full price. The main caveat is that after more than 2 years, I still have it and still love using it every day, To me, that makes it all worth it in the end.

The tones are great of course and the signal routing capabilities have allowed me to do things I dreamed of for years but could never pull off due to the cost. Totally worth it to me. I can’t imagine getting rid of it.

You could get a used Axe FX 2 and be happy. Or get a 3 and be really happy. The tones are so good, I had complaints they were unrealistically good. Super easy to dial in as well with the right speakers.

You could get a used Axe FX 2 and be happy. Or get a 3 and be really happy. The tones are so good, I had complaints they were unrealistically good. Super easy to dial in as well with the right speakers.

He already owns an Ultra and a 2.

Axe-FX III worth getting?

To say something of substance other than "hell yes" I'll say that historically, there have been multiple versions of each Axe-Fx. The 1st had the standard and Ultra versions, then the 2nd Axe-Fx had something like 4 versions. Mark 1, Mark 2, XL, and XL+. The Mark 1 to Mark 2 was a very small update to some parts here and there. The Axe-Fx II to XL was a more significant upgrade as you could store more patches and things like that, more X/Y block functionality, slightly lower noise floor and other odds and ends, but the CPU power was the same, and the original version still had all the same amp models and the same modeling algorithms as the XL+ so from a practical standpoint there wasn't really a whole lot of difference other than that you could have like 700+ patches instead of 500+, which was already more than anybody would ever need. As far as I remember, the XL to XL+ "upgrade" was simply due to Fractal changing the vendors who produced the Axe-Fx's green screen, which necessitated a new product SKU and name. No performance differences.

The Axe-Fx III is still in its Mark I version state, so history indicates that there are still years and years worth of top-of-the-line-ness under the hood in this thing. Personally, I had an Axe-FX II Mark I and never felt any need to upgrade until the III came out.

So to answer your question... "hell yes."

Back
Top Bottom