Woot Woot...Ultra finally arrived Today

grumpops

Inspired
Wish I'd just got for standard shipping and saved the dough though *sigh*...woulda got it Tomorrow.

Anway...I wasn't home when it arrived...my wife called to let me know.
When I got home, I unpacked and racked it....then started on the book before even turning it on.

Damn...at first blush, it appears rather daunting but then again...it's not an absolute necessity to get into the various patches and start editing them into oblivion either.

So, I'm going out of the Ultra into a stereo power amp (for now, a Valvestate 120/120 Marshall because it's what's here) and then into two cabinets on stage. At home I'll use my Marshall 1960A 4 X 12 which is also rigged for stereo.
Based on what I've been told, I'm going to go to the global settings and turn off the cabinet sims or it will sound wierd...or leave the cab sims on and use a speaker cab with a 15 and a horn?

Tomorrow I'll turn it on and spend a few hours just stepping through the factory presets.

Congrats! I live in stereo power amp into stereo 4x12 land and love it. I would suggest you start by building a really simple preset from scratch before going through all the presets. If you must browse the presets first, don't let it color your opinion of the Axe-Fx. There is much to learn from the factory presets but IMHO it's easier to get where you're going by starting with the fundamentals.

How can you spend a whole day NOT turning it on and just reading the manual first ???

Man, that's called fortitude and patience!

:)

I also have a stereo Marshall 1960 4x12 cab... and I for one do not like how it sounds in "stereo" mode because the stereo field is jut not wide enough on one 4x12 cab. I noticed a big difference when I hooked it up to two 4x12 mono cabs (in stereo)... I have since stacked both my cabs because my kneecaps can't hear as well as my ears... ;)

What I really want is 4 4x12 cabs (2 full stacks on each side)... monster stereo!!!!

mortega76 said:
I also have a stereo Marshall 1960 4x12 cab... and I for one do not like how it sounds in "stereo" mode because the stereo field is jut not wide enough on one 4x12 cab. I noticed a big difference when I hooked it up to two 4x12 mono cabs (in stereo)... I have since stacked both my cabs because my kneecaps can't hear as well as my ears... ;)

What I really want is 4 4x12 cabs (2 full stacks on each side)... monster stereo!!!!

What's cool about a single cab though is that the drivers physical relationship is always fixed. By utilizing delay you can create a stereo field that is crazy wide from a single cab, so wide in fact that you can swear it's not coming from the cab. That has limited utility, but it's more consistent than two cabs where you can never quite set them up so they interact the same. Try it, it's fun!

stevieray said:
mortega76 said:

What's cool about a single cab though is that the drivers physical relationship is always fixed. By utilizing delay you can create a stereo field that is crazy wide from a single cab, so wide in fact that you can swear it's not coming from the cab. That has limited utility, but it's more consistent than two cabs where you can never quite set them up so they interact the same. Try it, it's fun!
I tried it when I first got my Axe-fx with firmware 5.13... and back them I was more concerned about how bad my tones where... :lol: :lol: :lol: I was bitching and bitching about how bad it sounded... and it wasn't until 7.xx came out that I was better satisfied (because of the virtual power amp improvements) then now with 9.xx it's like sonic nirvana (at least via my headphones because since it's come out, I haven't had a chance to use it full blown during practice... I did have a gig though... :D)

mortega76 said:

That's just at home.

On stage, I'll be playing with another guy who's got a 4 X12 stereo cab.
So, he's going to send me his channel right to one side of my cab and I'm going to send him my channel left to one side of his cab.

grumpops said:
mortega76 said:

That's just at home.

So, he's going to send me his channel right to one side of my cab and I'm going to send him my channel left to one side of his cab.

That should sound interesting.

Sixstring said:
grumpops said:
mortega76 said:

That's just at home.

That should sound interesting.

We'll find out on NY Eve...but it's been sounding pretty damned cool in the practice space.
We're mostly using the cabs for onstage ambience.
Output 2 is going to be feeding FOH also in stereo of course.

Back
Top Bottom