WOOT!! Ordered my ULTRA!!

After much debate if I should get a used one for $1850 or a brand new one for $2050, I've decided to order it new!! Been lurking for sometime in this and absorbing all of the information from other forums and decided to go the axe-route.

The issue with the value knob jumping values, has that been resolved with the latest products?

I have excellent sounding (at least to my ears) a pair of DIY 2x12 cabs. I've decided that I'm going to run the axe through them. I've read very few threads about the crate powerblock. I was thinking, can I use the crate power block for a while until I get an ART SLA-2 or the Rocktron velocity 300? Or do you guys recommend not to waste time and get a ART SLA-2 while the Axe arrives? :lol: Is $260 too much to pay for a used ART SLA-2?

Also, I was thinking of getting a Behringer FCB1010. Are there any other devices that allow patch change for less than what the behringer sells? It seems a overkill. I'm not in a band anymore and just play by myself for now. I dont plan to get into a band/live playing at least for an year or so, until my kid grows up and stops jumping on me when I'm playing. :eek: :lol:

thanks!
Sam

The Ultra I received last week might have parameter acceleration issue but I've learned to feel where it kicks in. Pretty cool actually. Nothing wrong with encoders or any of the hardware. Okay, the fans are too damn noisy for a $2000 piece of studio kit.

Enjoy!

emperor_black said:
Also, I was thinking of getting a Behringer FCB1010. Are there any other devices that allow patch change for less than what the behringer sells? It seems a overkill. I'm not in a band anymore and just play by myself for now. I dont plan to get into a band/live playing at least for an year or so, until my kid grows up and stops jumping on me when I'm playing. :eek: :lol:

thanks!
Sam
I don't know how much a Behringer FCB1010 costs, so I don't know if my suggestion costs less, but the ART X-15 is a fabulous little controller, very powerful and flexible, and can be found used real cheap (less than $100). It has two built-in expression pedals, and 10 buttons that can be used either for patch selection or to enable or bypass specific effects.

Dpoirier said:
I don't know how much a Behringer FCB1010 costs, so I don't know if my suggestion costs less, but the ART X-15 is a fabulous little controller, very powerful and flexible, and can be found used real cheap (less than $100). It has two built-in expression pedals, and 10 buttons that can be used either for patch selection or to enable or bypass specific effects.

Drat! I should learn to be more patient. :roll: I just BIN on a FCB1010 that was selling for $120 shipped on the 'bay. :cry:

Sup Sam? :D

Just couldn't take it any more huh? :lol:

I'm sure you'll dig it after you spend a little quality time digging in. It truly is a brilliant piece of gear.

MOSHON
DAVE

:lol:

Guess what, I just sent you a PM on the JCF asking about your rig. Yeah man, I could not take it anymore. Someone on this board had posted a clip of a high-gain amp tone and it just drove me nuts that I grabbed my credit card and that was it! :lol:

--Sam

It has already been shipped! I ordered it on friday night. That's fast! Anyone know where they ship from? I think I read somewhere they're in california. I cant find any contact information on their website http://www.fractalaudio.com

EDIT: They ship from NASHUA, NH, US.

I got the AXE!!!! :mrgreen: And its the easiest thing to set up. Maybe its my previous experience with the Boss GT-8 that helped?? :roll: Having a Mixer at hand helps a LOT. I went stereo using Out 1 into the Mixer and all presets sound great through headphones. So much gain on the recto orange presets and yet no mush! *drools*

For playing loud; ...until my ART SLA-2 arrives, I'm connecting the mixer headphones out to the RCA inputs of a crate power block and going into two DIY 2x12 cabs. Global, power amp on, cabs off. When I first listened to the preset 'Crystal Echoes' in stereo, I almost cried! :lol:

If anyone's tried a crate powerblock and dont like the way it sounds, its because the 1/4" line in's on the crate already have cabinet simulation built in. A trick someone at the TGP forums shared. Going the RCA in's gives you the most transparent tone. :D

emperor_black said:
I got the AXE!!!! :mrgreen: And its the easiest thing to set up. Maybe its my previous experience with the Boss GT-8 that helped?? :roll: Having a Mixer at hand helps a LOT. I went stereo using Out 1 into the Mixer and all presets sound great through headphones. So much gain on the recto orange presets and yet no mush! *drools*

I struggled with a GT-10 for a year. The Axe is like hitting an unlocked door with your shoulder. :)

JWW

:lol: I believe you. Where the GT-8 used to sound thin, the axe sounds full and responds very well to picking dynamics. Almost too well. I havent heard that much detail in my picking even with high-end tube amps. :lol:

One disconcerting thing about the delivery; no signature confirmation was required. I was inside the house, hidden from view, waiting, thinking the UPS guy would wait for me to open the door and ask for signature. A $2000+ device was left outside the door just like that and he walked away. :eek:

Sup Sam? :mrgreen:

Its cool as hell isn't it? :eek:
Did it come with the 9.03 firmware?
I really want to install 9.03 but I'm in the middle of tracking a song and cant do it till I'm done :cry:

I love the way it acts to my picking,,, no other rack I have ever had felt as real as this thing. Once you get comfortable with it and the way it works,,,would you mind dialing up a bitching Uber patch based on the one you have,,,,,right there,,,with,,,you.. :lol: oh and just cause,,,,you should run out 2 into the effects return of said Uber,,and chunk an even bigger smile on your face than you could ever get out of that crate :cool:

MOSHON
DAVE

What's up Dave? I'm grinning ear to ear listening to the Uber model on this thing. I just posted a clip on another thread. The axe's uber sounds records so well...its unreal!

To be frank, I have no idea how to verify the firmware. :lol: I'll have to do some reading. I think it will have 9.02 because after i got notification of shipping, I think is noticed the thread about 9.03 released. :)

JWDubois said:
emperor_black said:

I struggled with a GT-10 for a year. The Axe is like hitting an unlocked door with your shoulder. :)

JWW

I'm with ya on that. I'm also a previous GT-8 user and although i heard clips and plenty of hype about the Axe, i still almost expected the sound to be 'digital' having used the GT-8 so much. Arrr the glory when i fired it up tho :D i've had my Ultra for nearly 6 months and i'm still blown away by it.

Back
Top Bottom