Wonky sound with new Q FW and monitors

tas9195

Inspired
There are a few things. The first being I don't get enough time to tweak around and grab ahold of this thing. So when problems come about I get lost. Second when I updated the quantum FW I am getting a wonky kind of sound or like there is a wah envelope filter or something on and it is on all the presets and the sound is very weak, no balls behind it. The 3rd is I recently went to a monitor setup(playing strictly thru monitors) I bought the Tannoy 5". This was pretty much at the same time I went to quantum. So what I dont know and this is after tweaking what I think needs to be tweaked It stills has that wonky sound. So what am I missing is it something with the monitor setup or am I just lost in trying to tweak this thing after the update. Can someone guide me on this and how should I set it up to play thru the monitors. I all of a sudden cant get reaper to recognize the Axe so I am trying to get that up and see how it sounds when recorded and maybe post a clip.

wow 61 views and no response. this is the third time I have posted and no responses. Am I saying it wrong. Definitely need some advice here. Is it posted in the wrong section.

wow 61 views and no response. this is the third time I have posted and no responses. Am I saying it wrong. Definitely need some advice here. Is it posted in the wrong section.

Upload a preset that you think sounds weird so we can take a look at it. The other suggestion would be to eliminate as many variables as you can. For example, can you temporarily go back to your non-Tannoy setup to see if thing also sound off there? If they don't, then you know it's the new monitors.
-
Austin

There are many possibilities.
1. Your new speakers have a funky response.
2. cab modeling is disengaged
3. something is funky with your guitar (dead battery, out of phase, etc)
4. firmware update went wrong, reload it (some people claim a reflashing fixed wonky sounds)
5 you actually have a wah engaged
6 as posted above post a patch and someone can check it out for you

The best thing about the axe is there are 10 billion ways to make it sound and far fewer to make it sound like a badly dialed in Mark series.

Tannoys are notoriously heavy in the "mids" - I have a pair and agree with that sentiment...try Warlocks' suggestions.

Thanks for the response, I will post a patch I just used and see if you guys get the same outcome. Any way to work around the heavy mids issue.

Something else that popped up is I can turn on the axe and play with no noise at all and the next day turn it on and it is a noise extravaganza. Like bad grounding problem. Any ideas what could cause that?

Any ideas what could cause that

If it just started -

1. bad guitar cable
2. short in guitar
3. maybe it's a bad monitor or monitor cable, since this started at the same time.

Try headphones to eliminate the monitors from the equation

Man what a crappy weekend, thanks for the replies. I have switched out 3 or 4 cables and tried 3 different guitars and still get the noise so who knows. I will run through some of the other stuff this week hopefully by this weekend and see what happens

Computers, routers,florescent lights or bad power can make noise sometime, or maybe theres a gate cutting in and out the Axefx2 is very reliable. You must spend some time with the unit to get patches right for gig volumes or for recording. It will get there

Maybe also try these ideas. 1. Move your AxeFX to another room in your place to see if the noise issue is any different, or perhaps to a buddy's place, as there could be an outside transformer that started having problems (creating the noise). 2. Walk around the room with your guitar, while it is plugged in and you are playing to see if there is any change in the noise, which may point to your guitar/cable picking up junk as an antenna. 3. Plug the power cable for your AxeFX into a different outlet in the room, as some aging outlets can create problems. Best of luck with this.

Yeah I know it will get there, having limited time on it is driving me crazy, it is just like playing if you don't use it consistently it is gone

Yeah I should move it to another room. I had a brain fart and should try another outlet. This is a brand new house and a pretty new neighborhood so hopefully shouldn't have any electrical issues yet. but all valid and will try

I once had a firmware I updated and it was all wonky, I redown loaded the firmware from the forum and unzipped and reloaded and all was great. maybe when you down load 2.01 this will cure your troubles.

Well some good news, I updated to the 2.01 and voila. No wonkiness. The only thing I notice that I don't like is it is not as clear as I would like but I know that is tweaking and this is my weakness. It sounds as if there is something blocking the speakers. muffling it. I also would like a little more balls behind it without more gain. Any ideas on where to start tweaking.

Well some good news, I updated to the 2.01 and voila. No wonkiness. The only thing I notice that I don't like is it is not as clear as I would like but I know that is tweaking and this is my weakness. It sounds as if there is something blocking the speakers. muffling it. I also would like a little more balls behind it without more gain. Any ideas on where to start tweaking.
Is this on all presets or just some? depth in the first amp page will add balls, presence will add high fi, if this is not a global issue.

First, realize that I am new here in the forum and I am in NO WAY speaking from any huge knowledge or authority...

Second, "Paranoid" is VERY helpful and knowledgeable. He really helped me to get started last week!

Last, I may have a take on your "wonkiness." Last week, I unboxed my XL - dialed in a great Plexi preset - tweaking got it all sounding great in my home studio - took it to band practice, plugging into a different board & speakers, and WONK WONK....

The two things that really cleaned it up was a dramatic decrease in the Plexi's GAIN, a dramatic increase in the DEPTH, and compensating as needed with the Master Vol.. I've also noticed that I hear a lot of background noise, hum, static when my midi controller is turned on at (or before) the same time as the XL... No noise when I turn on the midi controller after my XL is booted..

Good Luck!

I had time to run through a couple of rhythym channels and a lead channel they all had that muffled sound. Wondering if it is the monitors. I think I might drag out my 212 and run through it to see if it sounds the same. I will try the depth thing. I want to do this without adding gain because I am noticing alot of excess string noise. especially while I am doing vibrato I can hear the other strings when I hit them just doing vibrato so I don't want to add more and make it worse.

Back
Top Bottom