Wondering the best between FM9 / Axe FX 3

Hi there,

Was a long time users from Fractal Audio products. I have sold a lot of amps pedals in order to keep my Rack which is composed of a Triaxis and a 290.
I want to be back in fractal world with these uses :
- 4CM with analog rig
- Be able to play with Headphone only with the fractal unit, or direct to FOH.

The idea is also not to waist too much time plugging and unplugging the fractal unit. I tend to go the FM9 because it's also a foot controler (so will control also the presets changes in the Triaxis=, but don't want to miss some power. I usually did "basic" presets.

Thanks for your help :)

The specs will tell you what the technical differences are: AxeFX has a few more features, but it also needs an FC6 or FC12 for onstage control.

The practical difference is that the FM9 needs power to the front line, and your guitar cable goes there too. The AxeFX sits at the backline, with only a single XLR cable to the frontline. However there’s one more item to carry. For festivals, and bigger gigs where PA and lights are provided I’d go FM9. For pub gigs where I’m doing PA and lights, with the risk of drunks falling on the front line, I’d go AxeFX in a rack box.

For 4CM, I would absolutely go with an AxeFX III. It's already a lot of cables across the stage with a floor unit. Add the 4CM workflow and you'll need a snake. Nothing beats a single XLR from the rack to the stage FC6 or FC12.

Hi everyone !!
Thanks a lot for your precious information XD !=)
Actually I will not do big stages, more pub gigs. Not going to take each time my whole rig (Triaxis / Fractal / 290).
Axe FX III will be "better" in 4CM than the FM9 ? 4CM will be the main use.

Hi everyone !!
Thanks a lot for your precious information XD !=)
Actually I will not do big stages, more pub gigs. Not going to take each time my whole rig (Triaxis / Fractal / 290).
Axe FX III will be "better" in 4CM than the FM9 ? 4CM will be the main use.
Either is able to work functionally in 4CM.

I think those above are saying that cabling (power, guitar input, 4CM connections) will be simpler with the AxeFx3 because it can be positioned next to your triaxis/290 and wireless receiver so that the only cable to go to your stage position is the XLR connecting a FC controller to the AxeFx3 and 4CM connections can be very short. With the FM9 all cables including power need to be routed between your stage position and that of your rack gear.

Also as noted above...with the AxeFx3 and FC controller the most expensive part can be tucked away from front of stage where it is less likely to be damaged by audience members.

Back
Top Bottom