Wondering about smooth lead synth voices

karmakarmakarma

Experienced
Hi all... Bought a Standard and am considering an Ultra (a common occurrence I'm told).

Anyway, I'm curious if any Ultra users are getting smooth, lyrical lead synth voices out of their AxeFX. Ideally, I'd love to have something that has the expressive quality of Pat Metheny's old GR-300 but that's probably asking for the moon. I know the synth is monophonic, so a Metheny type application of the synth seems like it should be in reach.

Any insight before I part with another $500 is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I'm getting some really nice synth lead tones... I often use the square wave driven with some fuzz. I'll often assign the frequency to an envelope for some rez synth type stuff. It's worth experimenting with other FX such as EQ, Chorus, Filters...

There's quite a few good presets on the exchange so jump in and check them out also...

Maybe you can post some links to examples that you're hoping to achieve and other Ultra users can chime in with their Synth experiences..

Good idea teejay...

The single note parts of this video (the beginning).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdWzJxr95Co

This video starting at 1:05 has a good basic tone with no effects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2ccc9YN7E

And of course here starting at around 3:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSONbye6n98

The important things I'm looking for are expressiveness and single note tracking. Not trying to specifically emulate the GR-300 voice here, but rather want an organic feeling core. Perhaps the violin patch example that was posted on YouTube is moving in the right direction if it were transposed an octave up.

As always, thanks for any and all insights.

This is just my opinion, but I am not at all impressed with the Ultra synth. If I had bought the Ultra just for the synth, I would personally be extremely disappointed. Nothing inherently wrong with how well it tracks or how good it is within the limitations imposed by its architecture... I think Cliff achieved very good results when you consider the limitations of a non-hex pickup system. But I personally wouldn't use *any* of the synth patches, other than just doodling around at home.

I have a Roland equipped strat and a Roland guitar synth for when I need synth sounds, and to me, the Axe-FX synth is nowhere near as usable. IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

I bought an Ultra for the extra memory and processor power, and there are some other extra goodies that justify the extra money and I'm a happy camper. If the synth had been the deciding factor, I would have returned it and bought a standard.

Daniel

Dpoirier said:
This is just my opinion, but I am not at all impressed with the Ultra synth. If I had bought the Ultra just for the synth, I would personally be extremely disappointed.
If the synth had been the deciding factor, I would have returned it and bought a standard.
Fully agreed

Thanks for the input. At one point, I had considered setting up a rig that would combine the AxeFX and my synth hardware (Axon AX50 / Roland XV 2020). Had considered that I could route the audio output of the XV2020 to the second input of the AxeFX to combine with the signal path of my standard pickups. I think using the loop control in the signal chain would accomplish this (i.e. no send to the loop, just using the return side for the XV2020).

One thing about it, I have a couple of expansion cards in the XV and one of them has a brilliant GR-300 sample. Combined with the high rend reverbs / delays of the Axe could be a very good time.

Hmmmm..... decisions, decisions....

Thanks again
p.s. Does this sort of thing EVER end???

I should add that some folks, with a lot of talent and patience, have been able to use the Axe-FX synth block to do marvelous things. I'm thinking of the wizard who did the violin patch, which is a phenomenal piece of work. Note that I am not entirely sure of the role of the synth in that patch (I think the creator of the patch pulled out all stops and used many different types of effects to achieve that violin sound). But the point here is that the Ultra's synth block can be used very creatively. And the point I was trying to make in my previous post is: if you're looking for out-of-the-box synth presets (like what you'd expect from a VG99, for example), I personally don't think the Ultra's synth comes even close to being able to seriously address those needs.

Don't get me wrong, the Ultra's Synth is nothing in comparison to a dedicated unit such as the Roland VG/GR type units but for single lead lines such as those clips you posted it is quite capable.
I'm heading to Beijing tonight for 10 days for a bunch of shows so if i get chance i will try and emulate a couple for you...

T

AxelF said:
Dpoirier said:
This is just my opinion, but I am not at all impressed with the Ultra synth. If I had bought the Ultra just for the synth, I would personally be extremely disappointed.
If the synth had been the deciding factor, I would have returned it and bought a standard.
Fully agreed

Me three. Listening to the patches that shipped with my Ultra (and came darn near close to making me want to return it), it's clear the manufacturer is obsessed with effects that deal with tracking, and transforming the sound, such as playing full chords based on a single note, or 'synth' effects similarly based on tracking. And all of them, imo, sound like a $50 Zoom pedal. If not worse. No, no, not for me.

The Ultra and Standard are good for mocking up your rig. It's the silver bullet for recording direct, but if you're thinking about getting those kinds of tracking effects, I suggest going back to MIDI guitars. For fun, I'd even think about checking out that new Moog guitar.

Gounzy,

Thanks very much for that post and sample. Nice smooth playing and excellent tone. That's exactly the type of voice I was looking for, and to your point I'm really only interested in using some mono lead type voices for a little variety in my soloing.

BTW, you should post that patch. Your playing had some Jean Luc Ponty qualities to it (meant as a compliment).

Peace!
Thanks for the patch.

I've returned my Standard and I'm going to give the Ultra a try. I've been messing with various forms of synthesis for years... some controlled by guitars and other not. Will be very interested to see what I can create that is musically useful.

Will share results in coming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom