Within The Ruins tone

Trainwreck1446

Experienced
Does anyone know how he is pulling off those sweet harmonies? Sounds amazing, and he is the only guitar player in that band. He is using the Axe FX 2, I know that, but how the hell is that even set up? Anyone know?

That would be badass. I have tried playing with the pitch block a hundred different ways on my own to get some tones like that. But it is out of my league! haha

Which album? Which song? Creature has a distinct sound and sounds much different that their newer albums... where (if I remember correctly) they had two guitar players at that time.

I'm almost 99.9999999999% there is no 'pitch block' in their tone at all. It's at least 4 guitar tracks. Left and right 'low end' guitar tracks holding down the main riff and a left and right track each doing the different guitar harmonies. The main thing to remember here is that they definitely have a drive block and a high setting on their gate to give it that 'quick and clean choppy' feel. I would definitely recommend checking out these presets because they have that same 'quick and clean choppy' feel to them.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/news/64006-periphery-presets-now-axe-change.html

Another thought... load up one of the presets mentioned and then find a 'guitar only' section on the album and you will have a 'near perfect' tone match after running though the tone match process. If you tell me where on the album there is a 'guitar only' section I can do the TM for you.

Hey guys, stoked to be here! I'll do my best to explain how our albums are done and how my live rig is setup using the AXE-FX II.

ALBUMS:

As for all of our albums there are definitely layered guitar tracks. I don't use any pitch blocks, harmony pedals, etc. when recording. I have been the only writer/player on all of our albums since we started the band. The formula is typically 2 separate main rhythm guitars that I record and pan left/right. In most songs there are leads/solos as well that are also all separately recorded. These are panned about 60% left/right, and I sometimes add a 3rd or 4th harmony/octave buried in the middle to add depth. So yes, there's a lot going on there, but hey it ends up sounding pretty rad to me.

LIVE:

In the past we have had other touring guitarists, but since Jay's departure we decided to temporarily stay a four piece. To make this work I use two presets live, each utilizing the same 6 scenes that are controlled via midi (we run protools for click, samples, 808's, midi, etc.) The scenes contain different configurations using drive, wah, pitch, delay, and vol boost, depending on whats needed throughout any given song.

Layout for my main preset (using rear Input 1 right, cab sim off):
GATE --> 6160 amp block --> VOLUME 1 & 2 panned left/right to output 1 left/right ---> Mesa/Boogie 2:90 --> 2 Mesa cabs.

So essentially I am playing our entire set in stereo. The second preset is the same layout, except out of protools I am sending a DI (fx return input 2 left). When a harmonized section happens, my Axe-fx automatically changes to my 2nd preset (which has FX block input active in layout) allowing the DI to come through and go out of output 1 left. Output 1 left goes through one side of the power amp to one cab and plays the harmony of what I am playing live. After the harmonized section has passed, the AXE is switched back (via midi) to my main preset (me playing in stereo).

That is basically it. This is the most efficient way I have come up with to pull off our songs live with 1 guitarist. And believe me this would be near impossible to do without an Axe-fx!

I'll post pics of layouts soon. I'll also upload my patch soon for anyone interested. Any more questions feel free to post or message me!

Last edited:
Hey guys, stoked to be here! I'll do my best to explain how our albums are done and how my live rig is setup using the AXE-FX II.

ALBUMS:

As for all of our albums there are definitely layered guitar tracks. I don't use any pitch blocks, harmony pedals, etc. when recording. I have been the only writer/player on all of our albums since we started the band. The formula is typically 2 separate main rhythm guitars that I record and pan left/right. In most songs there are leads/solos as well that are also all separately recorded. These are panned about 60% left/right, and I sometimes add a 3rd or 4th harmony/octave buried in the middle to add depth. So yes, there's a lot going on there, but hey it ends up sounding pretty rad to me.

LIVE:

In the past we have had other touring guitarists, but since Jay's departure we decided to temporarily stay a four piece. To make this work I use two presets live, each utilizing the same 6 scenes that are controlled via midi (we run protools for click, samples, 808's, midi, etc.) The scenes contain different configurations using drive, wah, pitch, delay, and vol boost, depending on whats needed throughout any given song.

GATE --> 6160 amp block --> VOLUME 1 & 2 panned left/right to output 1 left/right ---> Mesa/Boogie 2:90 --> 2 Mesa cabs.

So essentially I am playing our entire set in stereo. The second preset is the same layout, except out of protools I am sending a DI (fx return input 2 left). When a harmonized section happens, my Axe-fx automatically changes to my 2nd preset (which has FX block input active in layout) allowing the DI to come through and go out of output 1 left. Output 1 left goes through one side of the power amp to one cab and plays the harmony of what I am playing live. After the harmonized section has passed, the AXE is switched back (via midi) to my main preset (me playing in stereo).

That is basically it. This is the most efficient way I have come up with to pull off our songs live with 1 guitarist. And believe me this would be near impossible to do without an Axe-fx!

I'll post pics of layouts soon. I'll also upload my patch soon for anyone interested. Any more questions feel free to post or message me!

Thanks for posting bro..! We sure appreciate hearing from the "horses mouth" so to speak! :)

A year later! Has anything changed with the new album? Would you be able to upload any patches? Love the song released today, keeping the Elite feel that I loved. Thanks a ton!

A year later! Has anything changed with the new album? Would you be able to upload any patches? Love the song released today, keeping the Elite feel that I loved. Thanks a ton!

Hey man I think they used a Mesa boogie mark V on the new album. The recent studio update had them messing with one. So I'd try the USA lead or the IIC+ cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALBUMS:

LIVE:

JOE COME BACK

i would love to know more about the recording patch that you're using along side your super thick strings these days. i have a .12 to .102 set on my 8 string right now and it can be a challenge getting the right amount of attack on high gain settings. Im not ready to give up on them yet. Plus theres already 10 million other dudes using super thin strings on low tunings

halp

Back
Top Bottom