Wish: Stop button in Looper mode

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
I know there's a way to make a stop button for the looper using a CC set to send a 0 value per this thread:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/48150-looper-question.html

But now with Looper mode on the MFC, it's such a better option than assigning CC's. I wish there was a Stop button programmed though. When I'm recording a loop, if I mess up while recording, I have to press Record 2x very quickly, which can sound and look bad! It will still play a little blip of the recording i made.

With a stop button, when I mess up (notice I said WHEN!), I could just hit stop and record again when it comes back around.

Thanks.

Reactions: npx
Yes, mfc looper mode is great but the stop button is a must for any looper!
Would be great if it comes with the next update...

I too don't understand why there is no stop button, but I just assumed I didn't understand how to use it properly since I haven't really delved too much into the looper. Are we missing something, or is the MFC in need of a stop button option?

Generally a stop button isn't "needed" when everything goes right.

The looper in the Axe was (in my opinion) designed for the basic "record play immediately" style which works for 90% of basic looping.

A stop will help for the situation I described before as well as recording but saving it for later.

If it can be added, cool. Not sure where it would go in the layout though. Something else might have to be moved or scooted over.

Generally a stop button isn't "needed" when everything goes right.

The looper in the Axe was (in my opinion) designed for the basic "record play immediately" style which works for 90% of basic looping.

I see what you are saying. When I used to loop long before the Axe-Fx I would often record a loop and then press stop and save it for later, triggering it later in the song. I would also need a Stop control in order to create a sample that I could later trigger using the Once control.

It could be called Stop or Record Once, whatever, but I'm surprised we don't have a control for this. It seems to be very much needed for certain basic looping functions. Maybe there should be a wish list item in the Axe-FXII Wish List forum as well since Stop would have to be implemented in the looper first before the MFC-101 could control it.

Ok, so pressing play during recording ends recording and starts playback. So we probably don't need Record to do the same thing. I think pressing Record during recording could end recording and stop playback essentially saving the loop for later. If you need to loop right off the bat you just press Play instead of Record. I can't remember, but I think maybe my Echoplex Digital Pro operates that way. I think it would be a very useful and useable change.

It was designed so you can press the same switch 2x to quickly record and then play the loop.

It was designed so you can press the same switch 2x to quickly record and then play the loop.

Right, so what we need is a setting on the looper like Record Ending = Play / Stop. For the current functionality it can default to "Play", and to implement Stop (without having to add separate controls) you can choose "Stop" and use the Play button to get the Play response.

I think Stop should be implemented separately anyway, but if the above idea is implemented it will make looping more useable and require less foot switches for me.

I'm surprised no one else is chiming in, I feel like some small changes like this could really make the looper a lot more useful.

Probably people who really use a looper live on stage can understand how important it is to have stop button. and it would also be great if axe looper would sync to external midi clock.
my drummer uses ableton live and would be great if i could loop guitars which keep syncronized to his click...

I have a solution for this coming in FW 10 (hopefully...just waiting for cliff to find the time to integrate my code but he's quite busy on amp stuff at the moment).

There will be a new toggle switch to determine if play-back starts immediately called "Play Immediate". It defaults to ON which is the way the Looper behaves currently.

However, if you set it to off, when you press Record again to finish a loop it will NOT start playing back immediately. If you DO want it to start playing back immediately when this switch is ON, you can hit Play to finish your loop. Also, you'll now be able to hit Overdub to finish recording a loop as well and it wil immediately go into Overdub mode.

I have a solution for this coming in FW 10 (hopefully...just waiting for cliff to find the time to integrate my code but he's quite busy on amp stuff at the moment).

There will be a new toggle switch to determine if play-back starts immediately called "Play Immediate". It defaults to ON which is the way the Looper behaves currently.

However, if you set it to off, when you press Record again to finish a loop it will NOT start playing back immediately. If you DO want it to start playing back immediately when this switch is ON, you can hit Play to finish your loop. Also, you'll now be able to hit Overdub to finish recording a loop as well and it wil immediately go into Overdub mode.

Sounds very cool Adam! Thanks for your efforts.

I sincearly love you all! Yup!

It's probably mentioned elsewhere, but any clue if this has come to fruition yet??

Edit: never mind - I got off my arse and looked in the loopers settings

Back
Top Bottom