Wish: S1/2 switch would show Preset status instead of S1/2 status

3dognate

Inspired
So I've been using my AX8 the last few gigs. The tones are there.. but the human interface needs more work. Here's a good example.

I've set up my bottom row as preset select mode with scene 1/2 switch for the currently selected preset... But when I do that. I get no LED to represent what current preset I'm on.

I pressed a preset selection button o get to the preset but the preset LED doesn't show up because in that preset I swap that button out for scene 1/2... But I'm still in that preset.. That preset light should remain lit regardless of button assignment shouldn't it?

(I know the title is not the best but I can't change it)

Last edited:
If a switch is set to S1/2, then the light it shows the status of the S1/2 function. It is no longer a preset switch.

If a switch is set to S1/2, then the light it shows the status of the S1/2 function. It is no longer a preset switch.
Yeah I know... that's my complaint... I don't have a visual cue as to what preset I have except the tiny ass bank and preset title in the display that is currently unreadable from a standing position. (I'm rocking 20/20 after Lasik too.)

Thanks for editing my title! But it should read.
S1/2 switch would show Preset status in addition to S1/2 status

I guess what he wants, is the green LED to show the preset, and then being able to see the active scene by looking at the red scene LEDs, but I might be wrong. It's a great idea though, IMO.

I guess what he wants, is the green LED to show the preset, and then being able to see the active scene by looking at the red scene LEDs, but I might be wrong. It's a great idea though, IMO.
right. the Scene lights will light up regardless of what the "main" light is doing. so technically speaking, he does mean "instead".

If you are on a preset and none of the other preset lights are on wouldn't you know that the preset that used to be on the 1/2 switch most be on?

If you are on a preset and none of the other preset lights are on wouldn't you know that the preset that used to be on the 1/2 switch most be on?
you may forget which one that would be by light status alone. he does something like

p1
s12 p2 p3 p4

p2
p1 s12 p3 p4

p3
p1 p2 s12 p4

p4
p1 p2 p3 s12

you may forget which one that would be by light status alone. he does something like

p1
s12 p2 p3 p4

p2
p1 s12 p3 p4

p3
p1 p2 s12 p4

p4
p1 p2 p3 s12

Right on... I had to nonchalantly bend over to read my patch names as I've got a couple of presets in the same bank that are similar but different effect setups.So the tones weren't a dead giveaway...

I wonder if you can change the preset names to be easier to read from standing (note - I haven't tried this)
Start by naming presets like this:
1: #######
2: _______#######
3: ______________#######
4: _____________________######
making the names long enough so that they take up about 1/4 of the width available.

I wonder if you could give you enough of a visual to see what preset you are on, with the small writing on the screen.

FAS has already said they have some plans to improve the display based on user feedback. I sure hope whatever they have in the works will be in the next FW update. I was disappointed that there were not any UI/display updates in the first FW update.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it will look like - I use one preset per amp sound (Clean, semi, crunch and drive), and once I've selected the preset, I can only know which one is active by looking at the display where the preset name is quite small.

Not really adding anything useful, but that is really good idea on your switching setup. I've currently got 1-3 as presets and 4 is amp x/y. Never even thought to change the current presets button to s1/2 or something like that since hitting preset2 if I'm already on preset2 doesn't make much sense.

On the other hand, I for one don't really agree with changing the LED setup/functions. I'm not at my unit right now & haven't had much chance to touch it at all in the past 2 weeks, so maybe I'm just not remembering everything clearly. But it seems to me the only way to accomplish what you're asking for is to change the meaning of some LED's only for particular setups where some things overlap? Seems like an easy to start confusing things to me. Hopefully the issue will be sorted out via the UI display in a FW update and this bit of confusion can be eliminated that way.

I also feel like eventually the 'wish' is going to be a new software that allows users to assign any LED and any switch to any function so that everybody can just do whatever the hell they want to :p

So I've been using my AX8 the last few gigs. The tones are there.. but the human interface needs more work. Here's a good example.

I've set up my bottom row as preset select mode with scene 1/2 switch for the currently selected preset... But when I do that. I get no LED to represent what current preset I'm on.

I pressed a preset selection button o get to the preset but the preset LED doesn't show up because in that preset I swap that button out for scene 1/2... But I'm still in that preset.. That preset light should remain lit regardless of button assignment shouldn't it?

(I know the title is not the best but I can't change it)
Man, I'm right with you there... my set up is pretty much the same and it sucks not having a visual... similarly I have a couple of presets that are very close sounding and there were times last gig that i hit the switch a second time because i didn't think it had engaged only to have triggered scene 2... not good.

It would be awesome if there was a full screen name option too...

Man, I'm right with you there... my set up is pretty much the same and it sucks not having a visual... similarly I have a couple of presets that are very close sounding and there were times last gig that i hit the switch a second time because i didn't think it had engaged only to have triggered scene 2... not good.

It would be awesome if there was a full screen name option too...

Right... Fine that I know what scene I'm on.. .but for what preset? I'm in a variety cover band that covers everything pretty much. 1 preset of 4 scenes isn't even remotely going to work for me..

It's also kinda weird. I've always gotten by with about 5-6 presets on other devices. But with the AX8 and the fact that I can't jump preset to preset thanks to the audio gap in preset and X/Y switching, I'm finding that I'm already up to 10 presets with multiple scenes in most of them... If I'm doing MORE toe tapping than in the past... I need better visual feedback from the unit.

Yeah.... more gigging and rehearsals with the AX8 and the LED & LCD status for presets is driving me nuts... I can't tell at glance where I am at sometimes.

Is an improvement going to drop soon? (I saw the FX8 video with the changes to the selection cursor and temporary large display of preset name.. but that's only part of the fix). Any changes coming to the LEDs (The Green LED)

Yeah.... more gigging and rehearsals with the AX8 and the LED & LCD status for presets is driving me nuts... I can't tell at glance where I am at sometimes.

Is an improvement going to drop soon? (I saw the FX8 video with the changes to the selection cursor and temporary large display of preset name.. but that's only part of the fix). Any changes coming to the LEDs (The Green LED)
Can you explain what the issue is again, please?

Is it still specifically that a S12 switch doesn't show the preset light?

Can you explain what the issue is again, please?

Is it still specifically that a S12 switch doesn't show the preset light?

Pretty much... And that preset name is not readable from a standing position. Even with the default

I Cant help but feel that there would always be indication as to which of the 8 presets that you are on within the current bank. (Or perhaps a mode of operation which allowed it) The little text ID in the LCD is just sad...

I can't expect that I'm the only one taking issue with the human interface.

Back
Top Bottom