Wish: "Return" to previous Layout option

Ugly Bunny

Power User
[Using an FC-6 for this example]

So, say I'm in Layout 1, my performance layout, then I hold a button to go to layout 3, where my individual effects can be bypassed. In order to return to layout 1 once I've turned on/off the chorus or whatever, I have to program a button to specifically return to layout 1.

Now, say I'm in a different layout (say, layout 2) for a different performance mode. I still wanna go to layout 3 to toggle effects. But now, if I hit the button to go back to my performance layout, it's going to take me to layout 1.

My wish is for a "Return To Previous Layout" option for either tap or hold. This way, you could go to any layout, do what you need to do (looper, effects, etc.) and simply hit the "Return" button to go back to your main layout rather than have to specify the destination layout.

Is this already an option and I'm too dense to have caught it in the manual? Sorry, if so. Otherwise, that's my wish :)

what if you're in Layout 2, press a button to get to Layout 3, but then need to go to Layout 1 and only have the "Previous Layout" switch programmed?

just trying to talk out situations to help make this wish happen.

Add an external switch, assign to always take you to a given layout page, ie; layout1, and that new external switch will always have the same function, regardless of what layout the other 6 internal switches are assigned to

You can also do some cool stuff with layout link buttons. On my FC-6 for example, on my preset select layout, once I tap any preset button, the unit automatically takes me back to my scenes layout.

what if you're in Layout 2, press a button to get to Layout 3, but then need to go to Layout 1 and only have the "Previous Layout" switch programmed?

just trying to talk out situations to help make this wish happen.
In that situation, you'd probably need to specifically program that. This, I guess, would more or less be a layout "Toggle" function.

What you're suggesting, actually, could be a great additional feature; like "Ordered Layout" - where you could specify which layout the button sends you to based on which one you came from. That's actually a pretty damn cool idea!

Add an external switch, assign to always take you to a given layout page, ie; layout1, and that new external switch will always have the same function, regardless of what layout the other 6 internal switches are assigned to
Sorry, man, not trying to add additional switches.

If this idea gets shot down, not a big deal; I can always just use the MLM, but that would be one extra button press. That's preferable to adding more hardware, but still not as preferable as having the function built-in :)

In that situation, you'd probably need to specifically program that. This, I guess, would more or less be a layout "Toggle" function.

What you're suggesting, actually, could be a great additional feature; like "Ordered Layout" - where you could specify which layout the button sends you to based on which one you came from. That's actually a pretty damn cool idea!
i think it would be difficult to have the FC/Axe have a running list of "last Layout." it'd complicate things at the very least. maybe they can do it. not sure.

You can also do some cool stuff with layout link buttons. On my FC-6 for example, on my preset select layout, once I tap any preset button, the unit automatically takes me back to my scenes layout.
I'm more of a "kitchen sink" type of player, though, be it having an all-in-one preset, or an all-in-one layout (or two) with a few aux layouts (looper, effects banks, etc.). So my performance layout is pretty much universally applicable to all my presets - but I'm just trying to have the layout button in my "Effects Bypass" layout return me to whatever layout I was just in.

I realize we're given enough layouts to not have to be super picky, but it'd be a super useful feature so you don't have to copy/paste a layout several times and re-program (what would be) the layout return button individually in each one.

i think it would be difficult to have the FC/Axe have a running list of "last Layout." it'd complicate things at the very least. maybe they can do it. not sure.
Yeah, I'm curious how difficult it would be to just have a little memory tag or whatever that holds onto whatever the last layout was. Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask :)

Sorry, man, not trying to add additional switches.

If this idea gets shot down, not a big deal; I can always just use the MLM, but that would be one extra button press. That's preferable to adding more hardware, but still not as preferable as having the function built-in :)

I'm going to try to build myself a little single row enclosure that will have 3/4 external switches in it, plan to have it attach right along the top of the FC-6, above where the existing cables exit out, and I was going to assign each switch a go-to function of presets, effects, scenes and looper, so I can access those those layout pages from anywhere, at any time, by pressing those dedicated switches. My goal is for it to not take any additional floor space either, by vertically building it above the space which is already taken up by the XLR jack coming out. Don't know if it will work, but my thinking is that it can add a bunch of extra versatility to the FC6, without any appreciable increase is space for the unit.

You could probably do one single switch in a little 1.5x1.5" box and have it sit just to the right or left the XLR cable coming out of the top, hardly even know its there, but it certainly could give you that "return" type of function your after.

You could probably do one single switch in a little 1.5x1.5" box and have it sit just to the right or left the XLR cable coming out of the top, hardly even know its there, but it certainly could give you that "return" type of function your after.
Tag me in your post if you make this a reality. Your idea sounds really cool.

I quoted the last bit of your post because I actually do have single button Dunlop tap-tempo switch... I wonder if that'd work? Again, I'm not interested in expanding my live setup since I got the FC-6 because of its footprint, but your idea sounds perfect: honestly, I could attach the single-button switch via command strips on either side of the main display screen!

I doubt the actual implementation of backtrack would be all that complicated. From a software standpoint, this is simply a stack data structure. It's not much different than switching to a specific layout - the difference is that instead of grabbing the layout to switch to, the code would pop it off the stack and any other code that switched layouts would push the current layout on the stack first.

The issue is that it's yet another feature to test, maintain, document, front panel UX, and Axe-Edit UX. Then you have to think about configuration for it. I think many people would prefer that the MLM be exempted from the backtrack stack. But somebody would want it. So there's more work.

On the other hand, adding backtracking for presets would be similarly handy and would be one way to get the Global preset feature people have been asking for as well. Of course, some folks would want the global preset exempted from the backtrack, others wouldn't.

Backtracking for scenes would be useful too. Practically speaking, those would probably be scoped to within a preset. Then again, it's not hard to imagine wanting to have Preset backtracking take me to the last scene as well.

And so on.

It always starts simple :)

^^ Exactly why I proposed it be just another option for the hold function; rather than, say, something global that's always active. FWIW, I love nerd talk; I took one C# class in college but never pursued it :D

It seems, more or less, like you're suggesting almost a completely different feature; that "Backtrack" be an added function to the Tap menu, rather than the hold. I +1 this as well :)

Back
Top Bottom