Wish: Noob Tab

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I suppose this is a bit frivolous (and likely has been brought up and shot down before?) but...

I'd like to have a tab that displays the controls as laid out on the real amp the sim is based on. For example, I understand that a sim for an amp that doesn't have a MV will have the sim's MV set to 10. If it was just the MV, I wouldn't even mention it. But there are plenty of other controls that may not be present on the real amps: resonance, prescence, bass cut, high cut, etc. It would also be cool if the controls were labeled the same as they are on the real amp; If the amp says "depth" instead of resonance, that's what the control would say as well. If a control isn't on the real amp, it wouldn't even be displayed on the tab.

Every time I go into an amp, I can look up the controls the real amp has (the Wiki and @yek's threads are great stuff). I just think it would be cool to have a bit more accurate visual representation of the real amp's controls.

Additionally (or even alternatively), a notes page right in AE could describe differences between the sim and the real amp. "Taper on BMT is optimized. Bass adjustments will have more effect than on the real amp." Or similar. Basically, the "Cliff's Notes" on the sim.

It's probably something only of interest to the less-experienced players like myself (or maybe just myself lol)--admittedly not Fractal's primary demographic. Anyway, just something I'm thinking about while having a slow day work while itching to get home and play a bit. :)

This topic comes up all the time. So far the consensus is to not really worry about what knobs are on the original. Just use what you need to make the tone you want. Real amp doesn't have a mid knob? Use it anyway. Why limit yourself like that?

Also, generally speaking, "n00bs" can stick to the Basic tabs or first tabs of any block. Perhaps don't turn anything if you don't know what it does.

I stick to that though actually, so maybe I'm a n00b!

This topic comes up all the time. So far the consensus is to not really worry about what knobs are on the original. Just use what you need to make the tone you want. Real amp doesn't have a mid knob? Use it anyway. Why limit yourself like that?

Also, generally speaking, "n00bs" can stick to the Basic tabs or first tabs of any block. Perhaps don't turn anything if you don't know what it does.

I stick to that though actually, so maybe I'm a n00b!

Thanks for your response Chris. I love your tutorials btw.

I really do stick to the basic tab for the most part.

I understand why the general consensus would be as you say. However, I think one of the coolest things about the Axe is that I can simulate having all those amps. It's a feel thing I suppose and of course that's just an opinion.

I don't feel like it would be limiting at all--the other tabs are still right there. I guess I just like the idea of having a more "accurate" starting point from which to start with each amp. Hopefully I'm communicating the "why" for this wish.

And hey, if it comes up all the time... ;)

yup, on forums we have to constantly keep adding IMHO or :) :) :D :O or long explanations to make sure people understand we aren't stating things as fact and telling people what to do or what's correct but rather our own opinion as a discussion.

:) :O ;) :D IMHO AFAIK FWIW

It absolutely does matter what controls the original amp has to me.

Seek out @yek series about each amp model. That is a great resource about what controls in the Fractal are mapped to the real amp controls.

For example, the Deluxe Tweed just has volume and tone on the real amp. These are modeled by Input Drive / Treble in the Fractal. Drop that amp block in and crank the Treble up to 9, leave everything else at default, very authentic.

If you mess with the mid control even a little bit on the Deluxe Tweed, it stops sounding like a Deluxe Tweed to my ears. I find info like that very useful.

It absolutely does matter what controls the original amp has to me.

Seek out @yek series about each amp model. That is a great resource about what controls in the Fractal are mapped to the real amp controls.

For example, the Deluxe Tweed just has volume and tone on the real amp. These are modeled by Input Drive / Treble in the Fractal. Drop that amp block in and crank the Treble up to 9, leave everything else at default, very authentic.

If you mess with the mid control even a little bit on the Deluxe Tweed, it stops sounding like a Deluxe Tweed to my ears. I find info like that very useful.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. If I loaded up that model, I wouldn't know that. Not unless I'd read it on an external source (or had experience with the real amp of course).

So each time I want to try a different amp, If I want to get the basic vibe of the original, I should go (somewhere) and read up on at least what controls it had originally, and what those controls actually do. That's fine, but it would be so cool (IMO) if as soon as I pulled the amp up in Axe Edit, I could go, "Wow, this amp only had two knobs?" Then mouse over them to see some notes. Then mouse over other controls in AE for other tool tips.

It occurs to me that it would work (though it would be less cool IMO) if "original" controls were simply highlighted in some obvious way. Maybe just color coded or something.

Simplifying the idea even more, the tool tip or status bar (per Matt's comment) could say what the original amp's corresponding control was labeled. This way, coding-wise, you'd be highlighting a control and adding a tool tip--no need to switch what the controls are called in the unit like I was originally thinking. Though again, it seems to me that the fuller implementation would be best.

Back
Top Bottom