[wish] more simple ways to edit effects I mean it's 2022, c'mon...

macphistoo

Inspired
Hello,

I'm a long time Fractal user (I had the Ultra, Axe-FX II, AX8, Axe-FX III and now the FM9) so I'm not a complete beginner and already know how the unit behave. However, I just received my FM9 Turbo (yeah !) and there is some aspect that I don't really understand and find "over complicated" about the UI. There is a very high probability that my issues are caused by my ignorance so I prefer to ask :)

For example, I've built a simple preset with only FX that I use to replace physical pedals. Quite simple, it contains most common effects a go straight in front of my amp, easy. For a better usability I've use the layout 6 (per-preset) and I've assigned the switches to my effects.

Here comes my first interrogation : each time I restart the FM9, it default to layout 1 so each time I have to put it back to layer 6 (which is a pain, I want the unit to keep that layout for that preset !) Is it normal, did I missed something ?

Secondly, I don't really found a way to edit FX parameters with any method other than click layout / zoom / navigate / click edit / change to the second page. OMG really ? There is NO other way ? I've checked if it was possible to use the switch "hold" function to assign something like a quick edit (that would be soooo nice !) but did not found anything.

This unit is fantastic, no doubts, and if I bought it it is because I do really love Fractal products. However with the new big display on this unit I was expecting a much more easy UI and other ways to edit parameters but it did not really evolved since my old Axe-FX Ultra (you really need a laptop for editing)... I'm pretty sure all of this can be greatly improved !

Thanks a lot for reading !

Last edited by a moderator:
You can select the startup layout in FC-Edit in the Editor.

To quickly jump to the Amp, Cab, Delay, Reverb or Drive block, double-tap a Quick Entry knob:
  • A: Enters the Amp 1 menu.
  • B: Enters the Drive 1 menu.
  • C: Enters the Cab 1 menu.
  • D: Enters the Delay 1 menu.
  • E: Enters the Reverb 1 menu.
Or just press Edit at any time to jump to a block, and keep pressing Edit to jump from block to block (press twice fast to go back).

I've proposed a "quick edit" system in the past:
Proposal for a new display feature for fast effect editing

Last edited:
Thanks yek for the quick answer.

Nice tip for the Edit button to jump from block to block. Too bad it default on first page (model list).

Another thing to consider is that if you have a list of up to 20 "Go To" parameters, you can place them on the "Performance Controls" page.

Then, it's just one or two taps of PAGE RIGHT to get to your parameters from the home page.

Yes, I've explored that too but that means knowing in advance which exact parameter you want to tweak. I really believe the ideal would be a quick way to land on the second page of the "edit" mode using a single button. And if it can be assigned to the "tap and hold" of the switches then we might have something that do not seems really complicated to implement and will make things much more easier.

Hmm, I don't see why the 2nd page is so much more important.

You can select the startup layout in FC-Edit in the Editor.
I must be blind but I don't see how... :D
EDIT: ok I found but it's a global setting where I would prefer a per preset (when preset #1 is loaded use layout 6).

Last edited:
Experiment with Layout Links. These are assigned to a button on a Layout page. When you select that button, it automatically changes to the linked layout. I have it set up on my buttons to select presets. When I select a preset, it goes to the the Scenes page.

This is a bit different than what you are asking as it is per-button, not per-preset. It does have some flexibility since it's assigned to the button in each layout. So, each button can have different layout link values for each layout.

Not sure if this is what you're trying to do...

In order to have your FM9 default to a given layout or view upon startup, navigate to FC-Edit > Devices, and select which layout and view you'd like with your FM9 upon startup. For example, I've got my FM9 programmed to default to Layout 7 (Perform).

Here's what my FC-Edit > Devices page looks like:

q0hNZ97.png

Last edited:
I do really love the quick double click access on those six control knobs. It does look like if you double click and select a tab the unit remembers that tab selection and it carries across preset changes. It does revert after a power cycle of the unit so on those if you quickly access them after powering on the unit and selecting the tone or preamp tab or whatever for those blocks they might be sitting where you like them. A bit of a pain but might help a bit.

One thing I would love to see are a distinct "Performance" mode and "Editing" mode which I think could be really awesome for the FM3 and FM9 where we have the display out where we are performing. Maybe a future FC would also incorporate a full display as well for feature parity. I have a good amount of ideas around how the controllers would work in one mode vs the other. Another feature I would love to see paired with these modes is borrowed from the Helix. The Helix can sense touch on the foot switches so if you have a switch mapped to toggle an effect if you touch it the display will automatically change to edit the parameters for the effect similar to how the quick access on the A-E knobs do for the blocks they are linked to.

The Helix can sense touch on the foot switches so if you have a switch mapped to toggle an effect if you touch it the display will automatically change to edit the parameters for the effect similar to how the quick access on the A-E knobs do for the blocks they are linked to.
Yes, I had a HX Effects while waiting for my FM9 and this feature is a killer one. So easy to quick adjust.

Not sure if this is what you're trying to do...

In order to have your FM9 default to a given layout or view upon startup, navigate to FC-Edit > Devices, and select which layout and view you'd like with your FM9 upon startup. For example, I've got my FM9 programmed to default to Layout 7 (Perform).

Here's what my FC-Edit > Devices page looks like:

q0hNZ97.png
Yes, that's what I've done and it works. However that should not be a global parameter but something to setup & save per preset (or at least give us the choice).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom