WISH -> Allow the Foot Switches to Control Which Harmony Key

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
In the pitch block, for the harmony type pitch shifters there is a list of "keys" (A, B, C, Bb, , etc.) and when you select what key you're playing in, the pitch shifter will harmonize along with it.

I really WISH I could control the list of harmony keys with a foot switch; and by that I mean through a foot switch managed in the FC setup area.

I have a poor work-around which is pain. For each scene in the preset, I use a different channel for the pitch block, and each different channel is set to a different harmony key. It's very kludgy since the channels have to stay in sync with the scenes. Sometimes they just change somehow and everything gets messed up.

In addition to the harmony key list, it would be nice to be able to control the harmony type list with a foot switch (like Lydian, Ionian, Dorian, Catchetorian, etc.)

ODDLY - the list of harmony keys has a little gold circle/modifier. But the modifiers aren't really designed for incremental stepping (up one, down one) through a list of choices. I mapped a foot switch on the FC to the harmony key list, but it really couldn't predictably control the increment or decrement through the list.

P L E A S E -----> In the FC setup area - add the ability to control lists, or increment and decrement through a list that exists inside a block.

Thank You!!
ChangeKeys-01.png

ChangeKeys-02.png

There are 13 controllers in the axe-Fx
Three of these, I use for the harmonizers.
Controller 9 for Key
So from the GT I send a CC (#009 - value 0 - 122)
A..........CC #009 - 000
A#/Bb...CC #009 - 012
C..........CC #009 - 023
C#/Db..CC #009 - 034
D..........CC #009 - 045
D#/Eb...CC #009 - 056
E..........CC #009 - 067
F...........CC #009 - 078
F#/Gb...CC #009 - 089
G..........CC #009 - 100
G#/Ab...CC #009 - 122
As you can see, the MIDI CC values from 0 - 127 are distributed over the Key values. So I had to try which would work.
Same for the Voice1 and Voice 2.

The range for the voices is from -24 (- 2 octaves) to +24 (+ 2 octaves)
So I had to work out the values for the different intervals
For example:
+ 1 third: 068
+ 1 fourth: 071
+ 1 fifth: 073
- 1 third: 057
- 1 fourth: 055
- 1 fifth: 052

And so on.
For the pitch shifter it's somewhat similar:
Here we count in half notes:
+4: 073
+5: 076
+7: 081
+12: 094

Hope this helps

Reactions: Rex
Thanks for the reply - way too complicated. Especially for those of us who can't even spell MIDI, and really don't want to.

And the reason I spend $$$$ on the FC (and the Axe) is so that I can control things easily without needing a PhD in MIDI.

In the FC setup - you should be able to assign a specific foot switch to increment or decrement a "list" of items within a block. Now I get it, if the list has 50 or 100 items, that's not useful. But certainly the 10-15 keys, or the 4-6 modes aren't too long of a list. It should be that simple.

Come on Fractal - WISH ===> WISH ===> WISH. We really don't need more amps and cabs, we need more attention on Fx and controlling Fx. [IMHO]

In the interim -- I wonder if there might be a way to change the FC layout to a layout where each switch was mapped to a key?

Part of the problem is the modifiers. The modifiers seem only design to control things across a "range" like from 0 volume to 100 volume. We need modifiers that can control a range in discrete "steps". For example you set the number of steps the modifier has like say 4, because what you want to control is a list of 4 items. I don't know.................... I like simple, and I'm bummed that I have to have such a complicated work around to change keys in a pitch block

:(:mad:

I tried the learn mode, and to be honest, was disappointed
:(

When I specify the key myself, the pitch shifter tracks pretty good - for a violin - as the input. Violins are hard to track, because they generate a lot more harmonics. Pure electric violins generate less harmonics, but with acoustic fiddles with a pickup, which is one of my instruments, the resonance of the acoustic violin body produces an insane amount of overtones, "wolf" tones and all sorts of oddities that make pitch tracking pretty tough.

I have a bunch of fiddles. My main 2 that I use with my Axe Fx are
1) An acoustic with an LR Baggs pickup
2) An electric that I put octave strings on - which makes it sound like viola or cello without any pitch shifting

To be honest, I'm kind of thinking of ditching the acoustic violin with the LR Baggs pickup, and getting a 2nd electric because with the IR blocks and nice violin IRs, I can make it sound as sweet or even sweeter than my acoustic. In addition I wouldn't get all of the acoustic side effects.

Anyway....sorry to be so verbose there.

My "WISH" still stands - and the way I worded it, I think it would add value in lots of places in the Axe-Fx. That is allow lists of any kind inside blocks to be controlled by a switch in the FC, which would be set up through the FC setup screen. The switch could be set to increment through the list (up or down).

I do appreciate the post, and for some people learn mode would be fine. It didn't work well for me. I also feel that even creating internal modifiers that "step" by "step" through a list of values in a block would be beneficial to the Axe-Fx

Couldn't you just use a Scene Controller? If the scale goes from A > G#, then that would correspond to 0-100. Set the % for each scene to the # that corresponds w/ each key. It's a bit of a pain but a little trial and error should get you there.

Back
Top Bottom