WISH: Ability to use external switches 1-4 to select layouts or MLM

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Really blown away with how flexible the FC6, and is really no bother at all to switch between layouts for effects, scenes, presets etc I'm finding verses my expectations of wanting the 12 simply to have more stuff instantly accessible.

What would be really cool though is if I could use a few of my external switches to select certain layouts, which would then give me some extra functionality as I could have 6 switches for scenes, effects etc, and I could not have to do the 2 button MLM feature, which while very clever, has resulted in me accidently triggering a scene change etc if I didn't hit it quite right.

On top of that, it is a 2 step process, where if I want to go between say scenes and effects, requires hitting the MLM mode, then selecting scenes or whatever. 2 quick steps, but still 2 steps none the less...

Now since I've got a whole box full of little switches I've built over the years, and we've got 4 switch jacks on the unit, those would work fantastic for changing layouts.

Obvious alternative is to use one of the 6 buttons for a given layout, such as a scene/preset toggle, which would work, BUT, then I've only got 5 buttons to work with at a given time, and 6 is better than 5 right ?

Or to piggy back on what others have requested, being able to dedicate a switch to tuner etc, so then we don't need to use a button, or a hold function for tuner.

Yeah, yeah, if I wanted more buttons I should of bought the 12, but I do like the size of the 6, and it does have 4 switch inputs, and I've got a ton of hardware switches. ONLY problem is that as of right now, there isn't enough useful stuff to do with them!

I'd honestly like to built a little hardware box, to match the size and shape of the FC, and have each of the 4 switches select preset/scenes/effects/looper layouts, with the 6 switches then changing to reflect those controls.

Really would make the FC6 into something more like a FC8/10, while keeping the foot print really small, and saving $200 (provided you already have some external switch boxes lol)

On top of that, it is a 2 step process, where if I want to go between say scenes and effects, requires hitting the MLM mode, then selecting scenes or whatever. 2 quick steps, but still 2 steps none the less...
Not that I disagree with the wish, but you do know you don't need the MLM to change layouts, right?

Not that I disagree with the wish, but you do know you don't need the MLM to change layouts, right?

I do, and it can work well to have a dedicated tap button change between layouts, BUT, if you are saying bypassing effects, AND you have a tap button dedicated to a second effects layout (and a way to get back) you then only have 5 switches to work with instead of 6....

Now you can use an external switch to bypass a block, and that is better than nothing, but the issue for me is that using the external switch kind of pales in comparison to the FC switches where you've got a LED ring for status, a mini LCD for a label etc, so it really works better using the FC switch than an external for things like effect block bypass state, and you can set up an A/B with the hold function too

Again, kind of comes back to if I really like the FC switches they make a 12, I should of bought that, but... changing layouts would really be a near ideal function for external momentary switches, because they don't need to reflect a status, they don't need to show a LED indicator etc. You just put a switch or two wherever you like it. Maybe across the top of the unit above the main LCD for example, and you can label that "presets", "looper" etc, and its as simple as tap a switch, change your FC layout switches and LCD

Only real "downside" I could see with this added ability is that fewer people might buy a FC-12 as it would take the FC-6 up quite a bit in available switch options and maybe would be enough for those who find the 12 too many, and the 6 alone not quite enough.

I think across the top of the unit would be near perfect for me in terms of form factor as I can deal better with added depth than width of a 12 plus pedals.

“I really love the 6, but I need more switches! I should of bought the 12, but.....” ha ha ha....yer killn’ me here bra!:D:p;)

But seriously, I hear ya! I have the 12 and love having the extra switches, but wish they would have gone three rows of four!

“I really love the 6, but I need more switches! I should of bought the 12, but.....” ha ha ha....yer killn’ me here bra!:D:p;)

But seriously, I hear ya! I have the 12 and love having the extra switches, but wish they would have gone three rows of four!

Wouldn't of been practical, but would of been nice if they offered both a 2x6 and 3x4 layout. I can have three EXP pedals and the FC-6 which takes up about as much width as just the FC-12 would alone, and then with the 12 your naturally going to want to your pedals on the sides of it, so then your spanning even more width, which I find is where the space issue comes from. Adding a bit more depth usually isn't too big of deal in comparison

Yep, I have the 12 plus 2 EV-1s, so as you can imagine, it’s footprint is fairly large.....good thing it stays put....:)

Back
Top Bottom