Wish: Ability to change Preset IA’s using Preset Start IA setting

Johan Allard

Power User
Hi guys,

I propose a new setting for the MFC - Preset Start IA, to enable Presets to start on other IA’s than number 1. With this simple setting, it would offer a lot more flexibility of the layout of the MFC, especially now when Scenes are such a popular and powerful tool.

With this setting, the first and most obvious settings would be using the default bank size of 5:

• Preset Start IA: 1 - everything would be as it is now (and would be the default setting).
  • Preset Start IA: 6 - presets would be selected on row 2.
  • Preset Start IA: 11 - presets would be selected on row 3.

But with this setting, someone could for instance set a bank size of 3 with a start IA of 13 (the 3rd button on the 3rd row) and program 6 scenes on IA’s 1, 2, 6, 7, 11, 12, so the first two columns would select scenes, the two bottom rows of the 3 rightmost buttons would select IA’s like Drive, Delay, … and the 3rd row would select presets 1-3 (4-6, …).

As you can see, this one simple setting would enable a lot more flexibility for other layouts than the default.

What do you think? Good idea? Is this something that you would use?

I would LOVE to have my scenes 1-5 on the bottom row!

I like the way your thinking about this, but will the hardware configuration of the MFC allow for this kind of change?

great idea and concept.

but there seems to be some hardware something forcing Presets to start on IA switch 1. i'd love to know what this is just for curiosity's sake, yet also hope it isn't a hardware limitation so they can do something like you suggest.

I think is more something that have to do with midi language ... So simple and effective but "limitated " by his simplicity

Yeah, it’s really strange to me (having worked with computers my entire life so my brain is naturally wired to think about controllers and programming). IA1 is obviously not absolutely hardwired to Preset 1 as pressing reveal will add another function and there’s the looper as well for a third function. Midi language limitations also makes no sense what to me - preset change would just be a Midi command just like any other command and there must be some programming to map IA1 to preset 1. The only logical limitation to me is firstly that this was just the way that the MFC was built from the start and the programming always just assumed that IA1 should select Preset 1, and now either it’s just not been a priority to look at it again or no one has come up with a good way of setting the configuration in such a way that it’s easy for us users to understand how to configure this, or both. I’m hoping with this suggestion that the latter reason is addressed so that this change can be implemented in the simplest and easiest way. Or if there is indeed some form of hardware limitation in the MFC it would be interesting to know what it is?

I have a Rocktron All Access too and as far as I remember it have the same "rule" on prest rows if Bank size is 5/10 or 15

I'm for it. Of course it can be done, anything can be done with enough time, money and effort. Hell, some guy in a crappy cover band could invent a box that takes the often failed theory of amp modeling to point where real rock stars will abandon their rigs. It could happen. ;-)

In January of this year Cliff said this:
Once Matt gets back from NAMM we'll look into this as a feature for the next firmware.

and Admin M@ said this:
This feature has been officially in the pipeline since about 2.12
Now that the Mk III is out we can pick up and try to make this happen.
I've just dusted off the spec.

It is a doozy, and MFC backups from previous versions would most likely not be compatible with the new version.

In this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...-cant-get-great-answer-one-but-here-goes.html

Hopefully this can happen (and soon). :)

Back
Top Bottom