Wireless system for Axe FX II - Any recommendation?

Izzyprad

Inspired
I am looking to buy a mid-range wireless system to go along with Axe FX II, any experience on what goes well with Axe FX II?

Have heard some good reviews on Line 6 G90, but Line6 products are always little flacky. Any recommendation?

Line 6 makes the best sounding wireless systems under $600. Under $1000 for that matter. I've had my G90 for just a few months so can't speak to reliability, but I haven't heard of any widespread problems.

I'd recommend Line 6 too, G-50 or G-90, I've used it in lots of gigs and it's been very reliable, I'd suggest you get a better cable then the one included, and use the included one as a backup.

I've had the rackmount Line 6 Relay G90 since the day it came out. Played 100+ shows and no problems.

I have a Line 6 g90 that i'm very fond of. Have been using it for over 2 years and there is nothing I dislike about it which is rare for a piece of gear. The only negative is it is a line 6 product so their support leaves a lot to be desired.

I have the G50 and have been very happy with it, but sometimes wish I would have bought the G90 rack unit. I do get excellent range and performance from the G50.

G90 all the way. Its the best wireless I have ever used. Best part about it to me: it uses AA's rather than 9volts. Cheaper!

I use my wife's X2, which is now the line 6 G90. It's awesome. It gets used an average of 5 gigs a month for about 2 years. She did have to get a new cable for it once, but it was because her old guitar player stepped on the end while it was plugged into the transmitter.

I've only heard 1 complaint from a touring guitarist. Mid gig he took it off and threw it off stage against the wall. He said he's had tons of problems with it and he finally is just done. He then asked about our rigs because they sounded great... Lol.

Had a G50 and upgraded to the G90 for rack ability. Both were/are awesome. Did not like the old Line 6 X2 stuff...that felt cheap. New Relay series is extremely well made. Body pack is fantastic!

There certainly are very good analog systems out there. I haven't used the Carvin one, but I used a Sennheiser for the last 7 or 8 years before moving to the G90. It sounded very good, but in the end, an analog system with a compander is going to lose something. Now, I'll grant that going digital doesn't automatically mean better -- poor A/D converters, slow converters that add delay, or other issues could be introduced to match or exceed the problems of a compander. But the Line 6 gear, from what I've observed both in my own use and from what I've heard others say, doesn't have any of those problems. It's a well implemented digital system. You need a very, very good compander to overcome the inherent problems a compander introduces, and even then I'm not sure you can ever really match a system that doesn't need one. You're taking something away (dynamic range) and then trying to add it back in after the fact. It's tough to do that kind of compression in an analog world without losing something.

Do plenty of pros still use analog systems? Absolutely. Can you really tell the difference in a loud, full band setting? Maybe not. But is a well implemented digital system going to sound better, observed objectively in isolation? Almost certainly. At the price of the Line 6 systems, I don't see why you wouldn't want to have that little bit extra.

i'm selling 2 g90 relays :p but only because i got some line 6 xd-75s !!!

they are all great.

There certainly are very good analog systems out there. I haven't used the Carvin one, but I used a Sennheiser for the last 7 or 8 years before moving to the G90. It sounded very good, but in the end, an analog system with a compander is going to lose something. Now, I'll grant that going digital doesn't automatically mean better -- poor A/D converters, slow converters that add delay, or other issues could be introduced to match or exceed the problems of a compander. But the Line 6 gear, from what I've observed both in my own use and from what I've heard others say, doesn't have any of those problems. It's a well implemented digital system. You need a very, very good compander to overcome the inherent problems a compander introduces, and even then I'm not sure you can ever really match a system that doesn't need one. You're taking something away (dynamic range) and then trying to add it back in after the fact. It's tough to do that kind of compression in an analog world without losing something.

Do plenty of pros still use analog systems? Absolutely. Can you really tell the difference in a loud, full band setting? Maybe not. But is a well implemented digital system going to sound better, observed objectively in isolation? Almost certainly. At the price of the Line 6 systems, I don't see why you wouldn't want to have that little bit extra.

Hello,

but what about latency?. Is it a good idea to use two digital devices (wireless, AXE) and go AD-DA --- AD-DA?
This will increase the overall latency. An analog system doesn't produce any latency. I'm very satisfied with my Shure SLX 4.

Hello,

but what about latency?. Is it a good idea to use two digital devices (wireless, AXE) and go AD-DA --- AD-DA?
This will increase the overall latency. An analog system doesn't produce any latency. I'm very satisfied with my Shure SLX 4.

i can deal with an additional millisecond.

OK, I'm going to go against the grain here. I played with the G90 for two years and while I liked the construction, features and plug-in-and-play simplicity, I noticed I always had difficulty generating nice natural feedback with my cabs. I've no idea why. After I bought my Sennheiser EW500 G3 (which I am still using) I compared it side by side with the G90. It was noticeably easier to get the same feedback notes with the Sennheiser. With the Line 6 I had to stand in different (sometimes awkward) positions to create pleasant harmonic overtones. Usually I would end up with shrill, unmusical tones, and it was extremely frustrating live. I've had no such problems with the Sennheiser. Compander or not, I don't feel I'm losing anything with the analogue system. It sounds completely transparent to me. YMMV.

I should also add that the transmitter pack for the Sennheiser has a sensible screw-on cable that won't come loose during a performance. The Line 6 one always kept falling out and I ended up having to wrap electricians' tape around the assembly to keep it in.

Back
Top Bottom