Wireless headphones?

Arek

Are there any wireless headphones that could be used with FM3?
Bluetooth is too lagy.
IEMEI too expensive.
How about IR or RF?

I was thinking of adapting a guirar wireless system for that with transmitter plugged into FM3 and receiver adapted as body pack ie. Samson Airline or one of those mini systems.

Any advice?

The AudioEngine receiver/transmitter would work if you can figure out how to power the usb-powered receiver on your belt that the headphones plug into. If there is a battery pack providing usb power, that would do it.

I have read about these headphones: SteelSeries Artic Pro Wireless. They advertise very low latency and seem like they might fit the bill. They're used by gamers, primarily. I'm going to try them out and see how they do. They're out of stock so it'll be a few weeks though.

lekato (2 pair each guitar, wireless plugs), on diff channels for stereo ,or one pair if mono ok. they have only 3msec latency . Corded headset of your liking ,wire the receivers into the headphones, low volume ,but useable . Add small digital audio amp boards if more volume needed (on amazon). Bread boarded this together a year ago. but to lazy to finish it . It did work ,but you would have too fit it and make look pretty. I put the project away ,and got a waza air headphone and set the channel flat setting. It's mono only , but has its own spatial stuff . Waza works great ,and it is done ,but the price is steep. Sony and Sehnhizer ( bad spelling) still sell the old 900mhz analog stuff . And ir headphones still sold for car audio, but need to find transmitter base unit , but none of the one's have a good qualilty headset.

Last edited:
I use a Boss WL-50 for my guitar input (~200€) and I have a LD Systems Wireless-IEM (~300€) with Shure SE 215 (~70€). Thats my wireless "headphone" solution right now.
I also have a Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset (~180€) for my PC. It's 2.4 GHz based and has low latency. But I think sound quality isn't comparable to good studio headphones (e.g. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ~100€).
All in all I am not to sure about using wireless headphones like these for guitar. I like my in ear solution more.

The AudioEngine receiver/transmitter would work if you can figure out how to power the usb-powered receiver on your belt that the headphones plug into. If there is a battery pack providing usb power, that would do it.
I think justa simple USB power bank will do 5V.
Thanks, I will look into it.

Well I have ordered Sony WHRF400.
They are described ib eBay and Sony web site as bluetooth.
I guessthats why there are so many “open box” available for about $60.
I had those 10 years ago, but gave itto myson who trashed them.
Will post if they are acceptable (lag) for FM3.

Sennheiser RS120 II On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Cradle
This might be analog. listed as fm modulation on amazon site.

I have read about these headphones: SteelSeries Artic Pro Wireless. They advertise very low latency and seem like they might fit the bill. They're used by gamers, primarily. I'm going to try them out and see how they do. They're out of stock so it'll be a few weeks though.
I got a pair of these. They were actually pretty good in the latency department. Only barely noticable. I'd guess <10ms but >5ms. After playing for a bit it got to the point where I didn't care about the minuscule delay. However--I couldn't get over the tone of the cans... They were dull sounding compared to my AKG 550's, which have a much flatter frequency response than a lot of headphones. I returned the Arctics. I might go the IEM route other folks have gone, even though it's more $$$.

IR, Bluetooth, RF and the like, all introduce noticeable latency that is very annoying imo, no substitute for being hard wired when it comes to the guitar i.e. cable and h-phones. maybe one day these limitations will be concord but until then, plug in...

IR, Bluetooth, RF and the like, all introduce noticeable latency that is very annoying imo, no substitute for being hard wired when it comes to the guitar i.e. cable and h-phones. maybe one day these limitations will be concord but until then, plug in...
Not all. There's a thriving market for wireless in-ear monitors. :)

Not with RF... I have an old pair of JBl's that have no latency. Check out gaming headphones. Most of the wireless with use 2.4ghz RF.

OP, you can also use a IEM setup without any lag.

RF is literally the speed of light. c=3x10^8m*s^-1
Nothing is faster than that.
What a punk ass reply USMC_Trev, RF is way slower than speed of light... and you know it despite your formula, and I'm not even scientist but your insulting response is much faster than that I'm guessing.

Not with RF... I have an old pair of JBl's that have no latency. Check out gaming headphones. Most of the wireless with use 2.4ghz RF.

OP, you can also use a IEM setup without any lag.
The headphones I tried are gaming headphones, supposedly the best out there. I still heard a miniscule delay. It was tolerable, much like being a couple dozen feet from your amp in a regular wired situation. Clearly they are doing a great job at minimizing it. It might be similar with an IEM system. I haven't tried yet. At least an IEM system lets you choose your phones, so I think I will enjoy it better once I find some that sound good.

What a punk ass reply USMC_Trev, RF is way slower than speed of light... and you know it despite your formula, and I'm not even scientist but your insulting response is much faster than that I'm guessing.
His post may have been a bit snarkier than necessary, but he didn't deserve that response.

Back
Top Bottom