Windows 10 Kills For Audio

If you're running a personal WiFi network, you should restrict it to using the MAC addresses of your own devices, and ONLY those devices, blocking all others. Simple, effective, end of story.

Agreed but beyond the capability of a vast number of people.

If you're running a personal WiFi network, you should restrict it to using the MAC addresses of your own devices, and ONLY those devices, blocking all others. Simple, effective, end of story.

That's an important piece, but if that is all you do for security, hackers can listen to your WiFi chatter for what MAC addresses are valid, then mimic that for traffic they send out. You also need cryptographic methods to hide the content of what is wirelessly transmitted, and to provide integrity that you can trust who is the source of that. The details of these are what all the ugly options for wireless settings are about: "WPA2" and "LEAP" and "PEAP" and all the other acronyms. For example, if you just use "WEP" for an open access point, that is like blasting on a radio transmitter to your neighbors and hackers driving by your house, saying "I'm clueless please come hack me."

so i lurck a lot here :) but for those who are worried about someone hacking your wifi.. do you really think someone would want to hack into a home network using packet sniffers and then spoofing the mac address?

anyways.. i love win10. everything runs freaking smooth as butter :)

I use reaper and it SCREAMS on 10, I have been a long time beta tester for MS, and did not even bother with windows 8,
I ran the 10 beta, and was jumping for joy. Windows 7 on steroids, do the upgrade, I OPT OUT of everything because
I use a daw. Also, a little trick for you guys, right click on the windows start button and it gives you access
to everything from, control panel, to disk management, I love it.

I installed Windows 10 this weekend after my Windows 7 install became un-salvagable.

I noticed the update sharing feature was defaulted to local network only. Maybe they've changed the default? Maybe by turning off all the reporting/tracking/big-brothering options in the initial setup process it also set update sharing to local only? Maybe it's because I installed W10 Enterprise?

So far I haven't hit any show stoppers with drivers (for my Presonus Studio 16.4.2), Cubase 6, Ableton Live 9, Waves plugins, PSP Vintage Warmer plugin, etc. So it seems like a 'go' in terms of permanently moving on from Windows 7. The interface is silly and puts the in-your-face in 'interface' (sorry, bad pun). Most of it can be disabled, fortunatly; I really don't need to click the 'start' menu and see a huge window popping up telling me the latest news about Jay-Z or reminding me that Donald Trump is lunatic, or that I can buy something in the Microsoft online store.

As far as it running faster? Placebo. Well, placebo and the fact that it's a fresh install. Wait until it's bloated up and full of various little issues and it'll run just like Windows 7. ;-) Running anything Microsoft always feels like running beta software...but installing Windows 10 this early in the game gave me the uneasy feeling of installing something in alpha state.

No one is seeing that MAC filtering is the be-all-end-all of security. But it's another layer of security that can be deployed, with minimal effort. If someone is smart enough to start sniffing wireless packets for MAC addresses, then yes, they can perhaps defeat this method. That's why security is deployed in layers. None of these techniques should be the only one used.

Layered security works by layreing something which actually do something useful. Layering helps is something goes wrong. Stacking up worthless measures isn't layered security.

Layered security works by layreing something which actually do something useful. Layering helps is something goes wrong. Stacking up worthless measures isn't layered security.

Actually, it is worthwhile. Which system is someone going to attempt to break into - the totally unprotected machine sitting on a totally open WiFi router, or the system that has 20 different layers of security? Even if some of those layers have ways around them, they all add up to increasing the work someone has to go through. If you're gonna steal a peach do you climb the tree to do it, or do you grab one right at eye level? :encouragement:

I did my win 7 laptop last night. Win 7 home premium to Win 10 home.

Acer Aspire 5755G

Only issue was the Dolby Advanced Audio had a driver error and require uninstalling and reinstalling the Acer Realtek HD Audio driver.

Oh and networking required joining the homegroup to see shared folders from my Win 7 PC's.... otherwise everything seems to be working the same....

Actually, it is worthwhile. Which system is someone going to attempt to break into - the totally unprotected machine sitting on a totally open WiFi router, or the system that has 20 different layers of security? Even if some of those layers have ways around them, they all add up to increasing the work someone has to go through. If you're gonna steal a peach do you climb the tree to do it, or do you grab one right at eye level? :encouragement:

Do you want to protect yourself from a peach stealer or from a real criminal? Keep in mind that keeping out a criminal will keep out also the peach stealer.

Anyway, I'm not going to reply further, this discussion is way off topic here.

Back
Top Bottom