Will there ever be FM9 hardware in an FM3 size box?

jzucker

Experienced
I want multiple amps and enhanced spring reverb and other algorithms but I'm not keen on the larger form factor. I'm sure this has been asked about ad naseam...

it probably depends on other companies to create more efficient chips for them to make new gear with.
uneducated guess is that based on the quad cortex and some other smaller units out there, that the subminiature chipsets are already available. It's probably just a matter of time and market demand.

uneducated guess is that based on the quad cortex and some other smaller units out there, that the subminiature chipsets are already available. It's probably just a matter of time and market demand.
The next small FM (generation) may well have such power, but the question is if that would please you, or do you mean you always want the latest and greatest in a small package too? ;)
It would sure be cool if you could custom order your chip and memory to some degree.

Last edited:
The next small FM (generation) may well have such power, but the question is if that would please you, or do you mean you always want the latest and greatest in a small package too? ;)
It would sure be cool if you could custom order your chip and memory to some degree.
i don't need the latest and greatest. I've never had that or needed it. I'm perfectly happy with the FM3 but would like the better reverb algorithms, the ability to use 2 amps and additional block capacity

Agreed.

I honestly wouldn't mind a few more switches and have thought about upgrading to whatever high-end FM9 is current (turbo, mark whatever), but I don't want a bigger board or a 2-piece setup (an FM0 with the FM9T2+whatever DSP and a morningstar would also work).

Ugh...first world problems.

Agreed.

I honestly wouldn't mind a few more switches and have thought about upgrading to whatever high-end FM9 is current (turbo, mark whatever), but I don't want a bigger board or a 2-piece setup (an FM0 with the FM9T2+whatever DSP and a morningstar would also work).

Ugh...first world problems.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an FM9 or AxeIII for recording purposes. Neither one fits the small studio setup I have.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an FM9 or AxeIII for recording purposes. Neither one fits the small studio setup I have.
If you were to opt for the III, then you'll likely end up with an FC-12 and now you've got both the III and the 12 taking up space. Just something to consider.

I'm with you though on the size of the 3; it's perfect. Will the power of the 9 ever be housed in something smaller? If history is any indicator, then "yes". We just don't know how long that will take. ;)

I too would immediately buy a stronger FM3 sized product (stronger than the FM3 Turbo etc), which shouldn't be impossible, and I would have no problems with a louder more aggressive fan setup.

The hard part is keeping that small enclosure cool, as it needs to function on stage etc, including outdoors in hot environments.

Yep, how about a dual CPU MB and additional fan(s) upgrade for the FM3 enclosure, as they're just specialized computers LOL?

Last edited:
A hard question to predict! though market will always have a say it would have to be a pretty large one I would think. If FAS is anything it's consistent with their platform. Once they came up with the Axe FX III / FC, FM line it was obvious that it was all designed to be uniform and was tiered to address function, size and price based on what a lot of people were asking for.

If neither fit in your space, then you're stuck with what you have for now.
Will there be a new unit....someday likely. Until it's here, or until you have more space, you have the best product available.

I want multiple amps and enhanced spring reverb and other algorithms but I'm not keen on the larger form factor. I'm sure this has been asked about ad naseam...
Agree 100%.
I too want the processing power and all the effects algorithms of the FM9 in the FM3 form factor.
I have a Boss FS-7 dual foot switch for moving around all 8 scenes and back to presets. I also have the Boss EV-30 expression pedal attached. Thats all the switches I need, just give me all the processing power and gap-less switching ;)

A hard question to predict! though market will always have a say it would have to be a pretty large one I would think. If FAS is anything it's consistent with their platform. Once they came up with the Axe FX III / FC, FM line it was obvious that it was all designed to be uniform and was tiered to address function, size and price based on what a lot of people were asking for.
i think there will be a lot of pressure to come out with a smaller pedal form factor unit based on what the reaction has been in the market to tonex and KPP. The next product fractal might come out with could be something underneath the FM3 in terms of power and flexibility.

Additionally, the processing power of fender tonemaster pro and quad cortex is driving the market to put more powerful processors in smaller floor units.

Even though those units pale in comparison to fractal's offerings (i like the FM3 better than tonemaster or QC), the market is pushing for having more power in smaller units.

Regardless of fractal's desire to be consistent to their existing platforms , we will likely see that change somewhat in the future.

i think there will be a lot of pressure to come out with a smaller pedal form factor unit based on what the reaction has been in the market to tonex and KPP. The next product fractal might come out with could be something underneath the FM3 in terms of power and flexibility.

Additionally, the processing power of fender tonemaster pro and quad cortex is driving the market to put more powerful processors in smaller floor units.

Even though those units pale in comparison to fractal's offerings (i like the FM3 better than tonemaster or QC), the market is pushing for having more power in smaller units.

Regardless of fractal's desire to be consistent to their existing platforms , we will likely see that change somewhat in the future.
Cliff's philosophy seems to be to build a really good the best product at a fair price and treat people well. Do those things and they will come. I just don't see him sacrificing any integrity for market share. (i.e., using less capable chips to be able to produce a smaller product). The man has done really well so far.

Back
Top Bottom