Will the Freidman BE do clean?

Rich G.

Experienced
Many firmware revisions ago I would adjust the Drive and MV in the Freidman BE to go from a clean sound to a dirty rock sound. With more recent versions of firmware it seems the BE won't clean up nicely. I tried decreasing the input trim, MV and drive while increasing the Level to keep the volume the same. This clean things up but it sounded very thin and brittle. Will the BE clean up nicely?

I have no problems cleaning up the BE, it's not a pristine clean but it's rather difficult to get that type of clean from this circuit anyway so more of a dull clean if you know what I mean.

I have no problems cleaning up the BE, it's not a pristine clean but it's rather difficult to get that type of clean from this circuit anyway so more of a dull clean if you know what I mean.

What are your settings for:

Drive
Input Trim
Master Volume

Also- is your bright switch on? I have my Bright on. I think that might be pushing me into brittle clean territory.

Don't forget that the "Damping" until the advanced tab has a big impact on cleaning up a signal. When ramping it up towards 10, it may be my imagination, but it does make the amp feel a little stiffer, so I balance that by decreasing the Transformer Match a bit.

What are your settings for:

Drive
Input Trim
Master Volume

Also- is your bright switch on? I have my Bright on. I think that might be pushing me into brittle clean territory.

Input Drive 2.64
Input Trim .362
Master 6.02
Bass cut is on and so is the FAT for the mids. I also have the boost assigned to an I/A so I can rock it up. EQ to taste and all the advanced setting are stock.

Screwing with Beta 11 I was playing the BE (ususally i play the HBE)

Rolled back the volume on an evolution pickup and got a great clean result

Screwing with Beta 11 I was playing the BE (ususally i play the HBE)

Rolled back the volume on an evolution pickup and got a great clean result

That pickup has roughly the same OP number as the C22B in my carvin which is fairly hot @13+Kohms.

Input Drive 2.64
Input Trim .362
Master 6.02
Bass cut is on and so is the FAT for the mids. I also have the boost assigned to an I/A so I can rock it up. EQ to taste and all the advanced setting are stock.

Those were about the same settings I had when I rolled back the Exp pedal. I messed around with it a lot tonight and found I just wasn't happy with the clean sound with the bright switch on, but I also wasn't happy with the crunch sound with the bright off. Catch 22...

So I ended up putting a mixer block in line and a second amp (Triptik Clean) and now I'm very happy. I can morph from clean to dirty and I'm happy with both sounds.

Back
Top Bottom