Will putting a monitor on the axe fx unit be a bad thing to do

Just wondering how sturdy the metal case of the unit is. Currently have a man cave set up using the axe with a set of bx 5 monitors.

Would putting one of the speakers on the axe fx itself cause any issues ie weight or vibration from speaker

Speaker is probably less than 2 kg

Just buy a cheap rack, or build a little stand. Sure it would work, but not designed for that. Monitors tend to produce better results when decoupled from your work surface.

You'd probably be fine, honestly, but I wouldn't use an expensive piece of gear as a shelf. You might be better off getting a monitor stand thing like this. I don't know if this one will fit the Axe FX; I just picked a random stand. You'll want to check out the size dimensions.

My AFX sits to my right with a table top fan on top of it. Never had any issues from vibration or the EMF from the motor. In fact, I never even gave it any thought until this thread.

In all seriousness, the laptop that I use with my AxeFX throws off a huge amount of EM interference, right into my guitar pickups. In addition, I was stupid enough to build my music room 2 feet away from the electrical panel for the house.

On top of that, the humidifier in the music room music room - which I need because the winters here in Canada dry out all of my guitar necks so that they bend backwards - also makes noise that gets picked up by something and comes out the monitors.

I think the weight of the speaker is the least of the concern. I'd be more concerned about the speaker magnets and related interference. I'd be slightly more concerned about the vibrations from the speaker on the circuits.

Mostly, the thin metal case of the AxeFX is probably about the worst surface you could put a speaker on for sound quality. Most speakers need a solid surface to sit on accurately produce the sound.

You'd be better off building a shelf that can straddle the AxeFx that the monitor can sit on.

Back
Top Bottom