Will it sound like an amp in the room?

No.

A lot of IR's were captured with neutral test microphones. The mic sims are a way of EQ'ing an IR and were born from those "neutral" IR's.

Today, the overwhelming majority of IR's are captured with close microphones setup like conventional close mic guitar tracking in a studio. As such, the microphone is "baked in" to the IR's.

The default for the mic sim is "None" because of this.

Disabling or enabling the mic sim will not make a preset sound like an amp in the room because the IR's are captured with microphones close to the speaker grill. The mic sim can't change that.

Understood thanks for setting me straight! (;-}

No, it can sound better. Why? When we play with two guitarists, the Atomic CLR sounds much more even across the room, whereas the 4x12" shoots the beam of death at knee level, which will fry your ears if you cross it, and sounds muddy anywhere else.

The real question you're asking has nothing to do with the AX8. What you're asking is: "Will your FRFR speaker sound like a guitar speaker?" and the answer to that is no. An IR will not change the laws of physics as the design of these speakers is drastically different.

Plug your AX8 into your amp return and you have your "amp and cab in the room" sound.

a78bf371bea82d0efd33ad7804227864.jpg

I'm running 2 XiTone wedges in stereo on each side of the stage as my backline. Has plenty of amp feel for me. Guys in the band haven't complained yet. My Friedman has a killer sound as well but it's just to damn heavy and awkward to lug around.

Back
Top Bottom