Wild thing - speaker fart

I've always loved that crackling texture in that performance. It's definitely the sound of some piece of equipment about to give up the ghost. And during the whole guitar sacrifice part as well...

The closest I've ever found to that in pedal form is the Small Sound/Big Sound F*ck Overdrive pedal. Not exactly the same, but closer than any starved voltage fuzz. The crackle switch triggers the effect. In this demo, you can see how it works at 3:35 (clip won't embed outside of youtube).

youtu.be/B8lggWXR_Qc?t=215

Within the Fractal world, I've messed around with one of the drives with a good amount of bit reduction to get the tail end of notes to cut in and out, but it's not quite the same.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably the Fuzz Face he's using. Germanium transistors are quite temperature sensitive and Monterey gets pretty cool in the evenings. Weather records show it was about 55 degrees F that night.
Yeah, it’s the sound of germanium (or any mostly older) transistors being starved for bias voltage. Well at least I have messed with fuzz face circuits and a trim pot on the bias and get it at the sweet spot for that sound. Probably could add in extremely pushed amps also.

Hmm interesting, so possible to replicate using the fm3 alone ?
I have yet to play around with the Bias control in the drive block with the Fuzz Face drive to see if gets a convincing sputtering effect, but I would mess with it. It’s probably sensitive to the specific input like pickup type, etc.. Some careful tweaking of the Bit Reducer and/or Sample Rate my yield results. I would see if you can get it with the Bias control since that’s what it is in the real world. The type of amp model it is pushed into will probably be important.

I have heard that referred to as "Cone Cry" I also love that sound. I will follow this thread to see if anyone gets to the bottom of this!

Germanium transistors are quite temperature sensitive and Monterey gets pretty cool in the evenings. Weather records show it was about 55 degrees F that night.
Hey Cliff, can we get a Stage Temperature parameter up in here already (in F/C)?? And also relative humidity and pressure (in atm/psi)??

Edit: ;)

Last edited:
You can already adjust the bias of the clipping. That's basically what the temperature is skewing.
^^^This

Just to add a bit. One other bit of the interplay is the tolerances of early transistors and especially Germanium were not like today. So the point between conducting and not was larger so there was room to have the transistor get into that in between sputtering situation. Todays transistors and op amps/IC’s have such close tolerances that the voltages between conducting and not is very specific mostly due to better thermal stability as @mr_fender has stated. This is a very good thing for making modern devices that function exactly how they are expected, but loses that unpredictability that made the old stuff so cool, but also a pain.

Edit:
I have time today to load the new firmware and presets. I’ll play around and see what I can get. As mentioned above because the FM3 is simulating this effect and also the whole buffering of FM3 input vs. the wacky input impedance of the early Fuzz Face and it’s effect on dynamics will have a degree of difference. However, the FAS stuff is amazing at doing this stuff and I wouldn’t be surprised that it’s doable convincingly.

Last edited:
I just accidentally stumbled on how to get pretty convincing sputtery fuzz's on my FM9. I have not tried it on my FM3 yet, I will post it later if I get a chance to play around on the FM3 tonight. It takes up two drive blocks though. I tried to get it to work the way I wanted with one drive but in order to get it to sputter right, a single drive block always gates off too quick. The first drive block was needed to keep pushing it to make it usable. Once it is set up it is very interactive. Your guitar volume knob will let you dial in the sputter just like a real fuzz pedal that is being starved. I am just not sure if the "special sauce" is what is making it work on the FM9. I found that digital crushing just didn't do it for me.

I made a separate post for this as well. but here is my starting preset for the FM3. It is not quite as dynamic as it is on the FM9 but is pretty darn close and that is probably mostly because I am using double amps on all my FM9 Presets. See the separate post for details.

Attachments

• Sputtery Fuzzy Wuzzy.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
There’s a preset getting around for the axe fx 3 called “bassman about to explode” or something like that. If I was trying to replicate the sound you are after, I’d look at the advanced amp settings in that preset, and apply them to a Marshall amp. That’ll give you the “amp is doing too much” sound he has there. But there’s another thing… it’s like the amp is switching from high to low volume as well… I’d look at the tremolo for that, and maybe use a square wave with 50% and 100% low and high volumes at a starting frequency around 13 hz. Not with the unit right now so sorry if some of my terminology is wrong.

Thanks
Pauly

Does anyone know if there’s a way to replicate the sound I can only describe as speaker farting.. you can hear it on the verses here ( ) , I’d imagine some sort of fizz, I just find it a really cool sound :)

Back
Top Bottom