Why so many amps?

MNG

Inspired
I am posing this question not to be controversial, but to get an understanding of how other folk use the amps in their Axe FX. It takes me a while to learn an amp and then, from there, I can usually get a wide range of tones using the standard amp controls and my guitar controls - I am pretty old school in terms of manipulating my guitar controls all the while to get tonal variety.

When you add in boost and drives and EQ‘s and compressors, let alone the plethora of effects, many more tones are available. With the advanced parameters in the Axe FX, you can manipulate an amp to get huge flexibility and I have found that I enjoy fine tuning these parameters to create my own ‘modded‘ amps.

So far, I have stuck to the few amps that I know and have not felt any need to explore all the others, so I haven’t even scratched the surface in terms of the total amps now available in the Axe III. I could happily live with only 10 amps in the Axe FX because of the enormous flexibility available beyond that. I also don’t use many patches and basically use the Axe FX in the same way as I used a traditional amp plus effects rig, just with massively more flexibility now.

So my main question is why do people want so many amps and then still ask Cliff for more - what am I missing by limiting myself in the way that I do?

There are numerous ‘modded‘ amp models, for example numerous modded Marshall’s in addition to a load of Marshall’s own amps. Why would you use several different variants instead of learning one amp in depth and tweaking it to get the same or similar tones or create your own modded version? I can get pretty much any Marshall tone I want from just 3 Marshall amps.

I don’t want to start any arguments, just curious as to how people do it and whether I should change my ways!

I think I know where you’re coming from - I felt really similarly when I first got my Axe-Fx.

This is how I like to think about it - it’s not expected that any one person will audition or use every single amp and cab combo in the Axe-Fx. Like, it would be like walking into a Guitar Center and pledging to never walk out until you’ve tried every single thing they sell. Rather, the huge catalog is there to cover the tastes of as many people as possible, to make it more likely that any one person will find their handful of sounds and stick with them. It’s the same reason a guitar store will stock thousands of different products.

You shouldn’t feel obligated to try everything in the Axe-Fx, and you shouldn’t feel guilty for sticking with just a handful of sounds if you like them. The benefit, IMO, comes if you ever get GAS and start yearning for something new - rather than having to buy something new, you already own the something new! Then, and only then should you start searching for new amps, cabs, or effects you haven’t spent much time with.

Hope that helps some!

One of the beautiful things about the axe is we now have access to amps that most of us would never have seen let alone get to plug into. Some amps are just blantant rip offs of others, but many have a "thing" that makes them unique. I bet you'll find several that put a huge smile on your face.

I understand the OP's thinking, and also think I could get by just fine with a handful of amps, as long as they were somewhat flexible. With the amount of amp parameters there are in the Fractal amps there's a ton of flexibility in each one. I guess what post #3 said is that the 5 or 10 I'd choose would not be the next players choices, so there's something there for everyone.

Reactions: MNG
Got an FX III a couple of months ago...so far, I have "played" over $20k worth of rare and boutique amps that I've heard, loved and wanted to have. For me, I get more use out of the different amps than the myriad of ir cabs. I may be in the mood for a Fender Tweed today, and move over to a Mesa TC100 just for giggles....like I did earlier this morning.

Why limit the fun? :) !!!!

Not being sarcastic, but... would the Axe-Fx have been as appealing of a purchase if it only came with 3 amp models?

Perhaps there are "too many" if you only need/use a small handful. I personally only use about 4 different amp models most of the time, but I also don't feel compelled to explore all the others just because they're there. I figure better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

I used to sorta be like that: lock into a few amps and not try anything else. I had an Axe FX II forever and I never really explored any other amps but the ones I had in patches. Now with my 3 I explore and build patches with new amps and it is fun. I think it is awesome that we have so many different amps. I know for a fact that I wouldnt even know a lot of the older vintage amps if it werent for the axe fx III.

There are a lot or models. It does make it much easier to find one that you like. I only use a few different amps, but finding the one that has the character I want may involve trying several types.

I found a handful of options that I liked, then created about 6 Global amp blocks, and basically did some testing at rehearsal volume with my band to see which version matched best with my band and complemented our other guitarists tone with his Carvin V3 amp. I settled on the JP2C+, but I think I will have to try the new TC100 and give it another test. So, for me, even though I limited it to around 6 hi gain monsters with about 3 different options for my clean and lower gain crunch channels, I find the verstility nice. There were amps I thought would work that didn't mix well with the band, like the Uber and the Diezels. Covered too much of the same range our other guitarist was taking, and he doesn't have the flexibility I have. Lol

I'd never use that many amps myself, but there are a lot of people who take a lot of time to try to sound as much like the original recording as they can, whereas we.try to own every cover we do and play it like we wrote it. More fun for us, and the audience seems to enjoy hearing songs you wouldn't expect done in a bit heavier vibe.

Well, except Metallica. We only do the older songs and we try to pay them proper tribute. Lol

Not being sarcastic, but... would the Axe-Fx have been as appealing of a purchase if it only came with 3 amp models?

Perhaps there are "too many" if you only need/use a small handful. I personally only use about 4 different amp models most of the time, but I also don't feel compelled to explore all the others just because they're there. I figure better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.
For me, yes. I have an FX8 MKII for fx and several tube and SS amps. My next purchase was going to cost at least 4 times what I paid for the FX3 and FC12 and I still would not have the ability to tweak parameters like I can with the magic box. And, I would still be gassing for additional amps for fx pedals and such, not to mention the space and weight considerations for all that extra gear. YMMV though.

I've had my III since August 2019, after a few months I'd just about settled on half a dozen or so amps that I liked, but sometimes it's great to pick one at random and have a play around with it, see what you get, it's great fun and serendipity can be very rewarding. I'm in no mad rush to try them all, but the thought that they're there, waiting for me, puts a huge smile on my face. :D

I know what your saying ,I only use a hand full of different amps . Funny thing is I alway seem to make them sound the same ,just the tone I like . But it’s nice to have the variety😀

Is it possible to flag amps as favorites like we can with color coding cabs? That would be helpful. Or to filter the list with what we flag as favorites.

I am posing this question not to be controversial, but to get an understanding of how other folk use the amps in their Axe FX.

In real life I tried out many different amps over the years and bought the ones that I liked best. I used a combination of various Fender, Vox, Hiwatt, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie amps live and in the studio. I was totally happy with my palette of sounds. When I got the Axe FX the first thing I did was to try and re-create the sounds I used on all of my real amps. That is what I like best and mostly what I still use.

I discovered the Friedman amps from using the Axe FX and really like them. They remind me of my old Plexis. I had not tried a real Friedman amp. I had tried a real Supro, but did not own one. The Axe FX has a Supro in it that I like. So the Friedmans and the Supro are the only amps I use regularly from the Axe FXIII that I don't own and use in real life.

I try out new amps when they are added, I but tend to mostly use the same Axe FX amps as the real amps I own. It's a lot easier to carry around than the real amps.

Back
Top Bottom