Why do you use FRFR with your Axe-Fx?

Why do you use FRFR with your Axe-Fx?

• You dislike the tone you have with a power amp.

• You don't have a cab and don't want to buy one.

• To stay away from "amp in the room" feel

• Because your friends/fav band do it.

• Others

Results are only viewable after voting.
As I mentioned in the other thread. I personally don’t feel the need for a cab in my playing situations. Live I go direct and IEM’s or floor monitor for monitoring. And cabs are big and expensive, and presently don’t have the space and budget that a “just for fun” cab purchase would necessitate

1- because it lets you hear exactly what you record, how your tone sits in the mix.

2 - It does not need ridiculous volume levels to sound good, feel right, like a traditional cab does

3 - it simplifies your chain and in situations where you work with an inexperienced engineer or in general an engineer who does not know your band, music, tone….you are on the safer side to sound closer to what you have in your mind.

i could find some more reasons…if i was not feeling as lazy i am now….ohh yes i use FRFR cause i am lazy…to move around cabs, mics in the studio(even though i have some great vintage mics, cabs, axe fx actually sounds BETTER period :)) plug and play.

Every gig I’ve ever done since 1983, I always went thru my amp/guitar cab… including when I got the Axe FX in 2008.
A few years ago I got the III MKII and a pair of Atomic CLRs (but still using my ‘gig rig’ live… which is with the Axe II XL+).

The ‘thing’ with a good FRFR, is that when using IR’s, you really get the various tones that the amp block with the IR was intended to get… that a single guitar cab CANNOT offer, ‘IF’ you go for a lot of different sounds.
A guitar cabinet has its (color) that is ‘baked’ into every tone you create… FRFR with IR’s does NOT do that.

I still think the best go is to use both a power amp/cab and pair of FRFR all at once......best of both worlds.

But for everyday jamming, FRFR all the way.

I went FRFR because I had back surgery and needed to go lighter on equipment. So that awesome Mesa 4x12 and power amp just wasn't possible anymore for me. Now that I've gotten used to it I like using different IR's and not being limited to one cab sound.
This!!
2 back surgeries and another one coming soon. Plus most of my gigs have been with in-ears the last few years.

tell me your poll has an agenda without telling me your poll has an agenda.

because I want the most accurate representation of what's coming out of the Axe.

these choices are crazy biased
How’s that?
With a conventional guitar cabinet, loaded with whatever speakers it may have… how would that give a true representation of the hundreds of amp sims and IR choices you have? Plus, running IR’s thru a guitar cab would color the sound twice… same with running the power amp sims thru a tube power amp. You ‘can’ do it, but you won’t get the optimal results.

Back
Top Bottom