Why do you think people are selling their AXE IIs ??

i know that when i first got the ultra it took me a while to be able to really dial in a sweet rock patch that i liked. But after a few months you get a handle on how the thing works and thats when your like holy crap this thing is amazing. At least thats how it was for me:)

Same. My first impression of the 2 wasn't very positive and except for the extra features, I preferred my ultra in many ways. Recent firmwares are sweet tho :)

1. Don't have good system to reproduce sound
2. Unwilling to learn how to use
3. Unwilling to let go of tubes are best theory
4. Living too close to the edge and should have never bought to begin with
5. Profit

I'll add one more: the junkies who forever thinks that the "next" piece of gear will magically turn them into a guitar superstar. Then follows a cycle of wild enthusiasm, disillusionment, and then wild excitement about the "next" piece of gear (and a quiet sale of the "old" gear).

These junkies exist in all areas of music thankfully. If you can find one, never let them go. I've saved thousands on microphones through buying the "cast-offs" from this one "cash-rich, talent-poor" guy who is forever convinced that the next mic or preamp is going to be the one that will make him sound good.

At the end of the day it is just a piece of gear, it is not strange that some people don't like it.

I can imagine that if you are used to amp/pedals then it is hard getting used to not being able to tweak things at your feet
while playing, and that is not possible with the axe, no matter how it sounds and how easy it is to program.

Another thing I've noticed when subbing in especially pop bands is that other musicians and especially band leaders don't trust
the fact that you don't show up with a tube amp :D I did not really have the gear to do these kind a gigs before the axe, so
that was a surprise to me. I get called back so I am winning people over though :)

Jens

The ultra doesn't have the "crack" they expected.

But seriously, people are selling it? Weird.

I guess it's similar to the reasons why some folks prefer pedals to multi-effects units. Fewer knobs to tweak. If it's any good, you can make it sound good in five minutes. If not, go buy some other pedal.

Truth be told, my Ultralead rig with TC Flashback and TC Hall of Fame in the loop is all I really need. And then not all of it. I'd remove half the knobs and switches from the Ultralead if it was up to me. I do use Axe quite a bit, too, but if I could keep only one rig, I'd stay with tubes+pedals.

The Axe like all other boxes that require programming I think sometimes people buy expecting an instant result. I have known people get rid of other multi effects and go back to stomp boxes.
When a device has huge flexibility there is a learning curve and the device lacks familiarity of knobs. Some folks don't persist to go through the learning curve, get buyers remorse or just buy and sell gear often in a search for a panacea that perhaps may not exist.
The 5 reasons luke mentioned are a good summary.
Why are we here,
because we're here,
Roll the bones

Because they get money in return for it. Something that wouldn't happen if they just gave it away.... Duh... ;)

Some users won't bond with it like others do. That's fine. Different people different ways. There's really no need to diss them.

Because they get money in return for it. Something that wouldn't happen if they just gave it away.... Duh... ;)

Some users won't bond with it like others do. That's fine. Different people different ways. There's really no need to diss them.
Absolutely at the end of the day its a choice.

People sell gear for all kinds of reasons and it could be anything from financial to it simply not fitting their needs. Everyone has a different situation and what works for one or even a million doesn't work for everyone.

I also think that there are some people out there that just like checking stuff out to see what it will do and are habitual gear junkies. They are always going to be looking to see what else is out there regardless of what they have in front of them. Chronic GAS if you know what I mean.

If a person doesn't have experience with creating patches the axefx can seem impossible, even with experience it can seem overwhelming at first.

I think its alot of people being overwhelmed with all the technology and it being packed into such a small box. Some players may have troubles using a computer, its possible right? My first few weeks with it were a little confusing because it wasnt something you could just open up from the awesome box and then plug in and play, you have to be smart and make sure its routed correctly and everything is ready for IT to turn on, not the other way. I agree with everyone else saying it takes a while to get your own patches, the stock ones just get you in the water, its when you create your own that you start swimming.

I'm amazed sometimes at how some people turn over gear at the first sign of challenges. Must be very expensive. Personal taste I guess but I to keep the last piece until the new piece proves itself. Then you can take your time to sell the old stuff and get a better price.

I don't think more are selling the AxeII and going back to analogue but it is strange the number that seem to want to go back to the Ultra. I'm baffled by that.

I sold mine because I found I spent more fine tweaking then playing. Also, I didn't use it to its full potential (more of a 3-4 sound guy, don't need 50 amps ). Lastly, it was tying up a lot of money..axe ii, good foot controller, good frfr system, good expression pedals, etc. sold my axe II and other gear, bought a Mark V and a bogner 2x12 and life is so much simpler! Not knocking the Axe, I just like the simplicity (and resale of traditional amps). Mesas rarely become "obsolete" haha.

Back
Top Bottom