Why do the TS style drives use so much CPU?

Somewhat a tangent
Now we're getting outside of my jurisdiction, but the rule of thumb I follow is:

.1V - .2V = single coil pickups
.2V-.5V = passive humbuckers
.5V and up = active humbuckers

(These are peak voltages- basically the max output you'd hear from a pick attack)
@FractalAudio

what range of voltage is the A/D converter for the instrument input designed for the AX3 if you may share? (before clipping)

I stopped using drive blocks in the Axe in favor of using a Helix HXFX in the loop because of the high CPU cost in the Fractal. I wish I could upgrade to a Turbo, but that would cost more than the Helix and the HXFX also adds a bunch of utility (great 6 button looper, two external loops with footswitches which I use to run a couple real OD/Fuzz pedals, etc). The only downside is that using MIDI from the Axe to switch scenes on the HXFX is not gapless.

I stopped using drive blocks in the Axe in favor of using a Helix HXFX in the loop because of the high CPU cost in the Fractal. I wish I could upgrade to a Turbo, but that would cost more than the Helix and the HXFX also adds a bunch of utility (great 6 button looper, two external loops with footswitches which I use to run a couple real OD/Fuzz pedals, etc). The only downside is that using MIDI from the Axe to switch scenes on the HXFX is not gapless.

Not all drives use a lot of CPU. Choose wisely. You can cover a lot of terrain with the FET, Shimmer, Tube Drive etc.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drive_block#CPU_usage

Not all drives use a lot of CPU. Choose wisely. You can cover a lot of terrain with the FET, Shimmer, Tube Drive etc.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drive_block#CPU_usage

Yes, that's true and thanks for the link Yek. Missing from the list is the Klon, which I believe would be in the higher CPU category. That's what I run for all my cleans and the Helix nails it as well. Fingers crossed that Cliff adds the Klon to the Pre section of the Amp block some day!

Back
Top Bottom