Why do so few contribute to the Axechange?

For me, the idea of sharing the preset made a lot of sense in the beginning. Namely Scott Petersons patches (e.g. the Matchless) were really great, again thanks for that, Scott. Mostly one patch on the very old patch exchange called "Joe Bonamassa" with two amps and two cabs influenced me (I don't even know from whom that patch originally was), and I have refined it since I think firmware 6. This is my number one patch.

But then I realized how different my patch (even with my guitar) sounded in the hands of somebody else (Peter Autschbach, excellent player for sure) but my patch just sounded better with me, his patch better with him. And if you have a different guitar, you can forget it.

Secondly it became so easy to dial in new sounds with the firmwares 9 and newer, that exchanging patches was getting more and more uninteresting to me.

It's not that I don't want to share (everybody can have all of my patches, no problem), but I just see a limited reason to it.

If a new Axe owner wants to learn how to get the maximum out of the Axe, my advice would be: search the wiki and the forum. Best tip for me is Cliffs "reduce flubby bass" trick with the enveloped low cut filter, Radleys reverb thread, the Vox trick (less highs, more presence) and the chorus settings, plus the various advices for drive and master depending on the amp type (vintage vs. high gain).

Personally, I'm waiting for the update.

I'd like a bit more control over any contributions I might choose to make, especially the ability
to update my patches when I "improve" them without leaving old versions posted along with the
capability to remove obsolete postings altogether.

Improved search and cataloging would also be nice.

I have available web space already so it's no big deal to stage patches there and post links, but a sense of community is nice as well.

And that's why I post patches. I learn from looking and listening to what others do/have done in their patches.

My chorus is based on one Larry Mitchell shared.

My delay I based on what Mark Day does added to what I learned from the "Circle delays" thread on this forum.

My flanger settings and many more things learned came from Java Junkie among others.

Matman has taught me in more ways than I can count through the forum. Jay Mitchell on IR's, reverb, EQ and many other topics. Radley on reverb and EQ. Yek on most anything. Cardinal of Crunk and even Joe Gold and Clark Kent - whom I often have disagreements with on various topics - have taught me I both appreciate it and respect them for it. Not to mention when Cliff shares knowledge. I am not even mentioning other guys that go to great lengths to share knowledge and the wealth of their experience. The wiki is a treasure trove and everyone should seek it out.

The Axe-FX is a palette, a tool box full of 'blank' easels and it is up to us to learn, utilize and apply those tools. In a million ways, with a million colors and varieties of tastes and goals and rigs.

So some preset is nothing more than a group of parameters really; teach a man to fish.

The Line 6 mentality of 'share a preset' is like swimming in the kiddie wave pool. Fun, easy and quick. Great.

When it is time to swim in the ocean, then you need to KNOW how to swim. Learn to swim, not just use floaters in the kiddie pool. "Share your preset" to me means, let me study how you did that. Not, "oh good, now I don't have to learn anything, I'll just use that as-is" until the next 'great' preset comes along.

It's like guys buying an amp, playing it and then hearing a clip of another amp... so they sell their amp and get the amp from the clip. I mean, really?

Very well put, for instance when I first received my ultra I was trying to make a patch or edit a patch through the unit it's self, I was totally over whelmed and felt like I made a mistake in going with the axe fx, then I down loaded the axe editor program and life became much easier for me and was the difference in me keeping the axe fx.

So I agree every little bit helps.

This sounds interesting hhjh.de. Can you help me to locate the advice / article as I'm relatively new here? Thanks in anticipation.

From Yek's How-To's:
How to get tight bass control

To keep the low end under control (including palm-muted metal tones!), add a Filter block before the Amp block. Select Highpass. Go to Frequency and hit Enter (modifier menu). Select Envelope and use the default settings. In the Filter parameters set Scale at 40% and Offset at 22%. You have now added a dynamic filter that adjusts itself according to how hard you're hitting the strings. The harder you pick, the more low frequencies are removed from the signal hitting the amp. No need to set a frequency range. This is great for palm muting and also takes care of those flubby low notes with certain amp sims such as the Vox. You can finetune the filter by adjusting the Envelope settings.

I'm glad people do post.

I don't see any reason why a person should hold back posting a patch because it won't sound the same on someone else's set up. That applies to every single patch and preset ever made. Just post them if you want to and let the user decide. I've used quite a few - some from threads and some from the exchange. Sure a good 90% are not going to make it but it's me who is trawling through them and not you and I've got the rest of my life to look through the patches.

Keep up the good work for those who do share - you're appreciated. I don't think it matters if it's 'share a preset' or for 'learning'. Does it matter? Nope. It's only a patch and not world peace we're talking about.

I'm looking for a nice Chris Rea Road to Hell Sound for the standard. You've got half an hour to come up with one and the clock's ticking.

Back
Top Bottom