Why did/would you choose FM3 over Axe FX III?

Every modeller on touch I did, including but not limited to Axe-Fx3, Helix,Kemper with Remote and Stage etc.
So is my taste to touch on Fm3 as well as Neural DSP. That's it!

I remember this conversation back in April 2019, if I recall heat was the main reason they could not get the whole AX3 product minimized into a floor unit.
Yes, so they've said. It's not like there's more heat on the floor than inside a tight rack, but with the smaller expected size of floor units it's an issue. Most people want a smaller/thinner box for the floor, compared to a rack. Also I believe a perception that floor units should be less expensive than the highest-end pro rack systems.

However, there was (at least) one guy who built a big, thick pedalboard case that hid a full Axe-Fx III underneath a hinged tilt top where the footswitches went. Anyone else remember this? Is he on this forum? He could 'pop the hood' to go inside and edit via the front panel controls, then close it up to perform. Big thick box, looked like you'd have to lift your leg up 6-8" to step on a pedal or switch. There was pictures of this beast somewhere, but I can't find them..

I currently use Line 6 Helix products: Floor Helix, HX Effects and Stomp. I have no issues with these products and think they sound great. But I've heard so many good things about Fractal, and with the FM3 being the least in cost of all the products, I'd figure I check one out and see what the hype is. I have an FC-6 and EV-1 sitting at home waiting for the FM3 invite to come across my email.

Will I end up switching fully to Fractal and selling my Line 6 gear? I don't know, but looking forward to finding out.

And .......... I have massive G.A.S. :)

I have been following the Axe-Fx and all its firmware changes for the last 7 years and have dreamed of eventually getting one but have never had enough money until now. The AX8 always seemed awesome but I feel like the FM3 is even closer to the Axe Fx III than the AX8 to the Axe-Fx II. Also the three FC footswitches with layouts and views are incredibly flexible and powerful and I love how compact the FM3 is overall. I am going to put the FM3 on a small board with an EV-2 and possibly an external footswitch or two and call it a day. I could literally have a guitar gig bag on my back with a small FRFR in one arm and the FM3 board in the other, and the two cables id need tucked away in the pedalboard case. (Walking small distances...I’m thin and scrawny) :)

I had an AXE FX3 and will probably buy the FM3 because I just need something simple that sounds good. If Fractal would do a for a modeler what Apogee did with their Element serie interfaces, a box without any controls it would be perfect for me. May be a kind of hardware that would be used with a software version.The size of an Apple TV LOL! I play home so as long as I have the essential of what the FX3 is doing I am fine. The fact that the FM3 has foorswitches will be a kind of bonus for me but not mandatory. Same thing for the audio interface. I already have one. I will put it on the floor and will do all the editing with my MAC.

Last edited:
Having a "carry all" in one trip, in and out of venues is important to me.
FM3 will replace my AX8 on a pedalboard...so it's just that, CLR and guitar.
Using a III would mean adding a separate rack and that ain't happening...:)
I may get a III for home...why not?

One big deal for me is the flexibility to just bring what I need. When I do an electric guitar gig, the FM3 with an FC6 and an expression pedal are very portable but powerful. When I do a mandolin gig or am just playing bass, Chapman Stick or acoustic guitar, the FM3 by itself (with the three switches) covers all I need. I played with a Bluegrass group (mandolin) two weekends ago where I walked in with a Gibson F9 in one hand and a small canvas bag with three cables and the FM3 in the other. I wish everything was that light and sounded that good.

@hippietim may wish to chime in on this as I think he does the same thing with his bass gigs.

One big deal for me is the flexibility to just bring what I need. When I do an electric guitar gig, the FM3 with an FC6 and an expression pedal are very portable but powerful. When I do a mandolin gig or am just playing bass, Chapman Stick or acoustic guitar, the FM3 by itself (with the three switches) covers all I need. I played with a Bluegrass group (mandolin) two weekends ago where I walked in with a Gibson F9 in one hand and a small canvas bag with three cables and the FM3 in the other. I wish everything was that light and sounded that good.

@hippietim may wish to chime in on this as I think he does the same thing with his bass gigs.

Indeed. I’ve just been taking the FM3 by itself for bass and a couple expression pedals for my guitar gigs.

Having said that, I’ve joined a new project that’s going to have me using my Boss SY-1000 as well. So I’m going to move to having two pedalboards - one for the FM3 and one for the SY-1000. I’m a little torn on this because I like the small bass rig but having my guitar stuff prewired would be nice (I’m adding a dual footswitch and MIDI Expression IO for guitar). Maybe I’ll get them to play Black Sabbath’s NIB for the bass gig - then I’ll have a reason to have the bigger board so I can do the bass wah stuff.

My goal for 2020: Getting my FM3 and eventually the SY-1000 although a few budget hits will delay that.

What a great setup to have both.
Kudos and hope to get there one day.

The FM3 has more footswitches than the Axe-Fx III, which clearly makes the FM3 a superior product. It's also why AX8 is better than FM3 and Axe-Fx III.

Of course, I'm being sarcastic. The footswitch complaints are BS.

My goal for 2020: Getting my FM3 and eventually the SY-1000 although a few budget hits will delay that.

What a great setup to have both.
Kudos and hope to get there one day.

I see a GK pickup on your Strat in your profile pic - what 13-pin gear are you using?

Price is #1 for me.

I bought the AX8 because of price, especially when factoring in that I wanted it to be foot switchable.

Having owned the AX8 for 3 years, I can see the value in investing in an FX3 and and FC, however, getting the same modeling at 1/2 the price is nearly irresistible. The FM3 is a cool little unit.

Someday, but I love my AX8 and have no intention of replacing it any time soon.

Not "over the AxeFX III," but in addition to...
One of my AxeFX III's is in a large rack with our digital mixer, wireless and in ears, for when we bring our own PA.
But the FM3 will be perfect for a fly-rig, and shows where we don't have to bring PA, and multi-band events, for quick change-overs...

I see a GK pickup on your Strat in your profile pic - what 13-pin gear are you using?
The picture is old and the GK-3 pickup is now in a box. Have not used 13 pin since 2016.

My main synth guitar which I still have (in storage) is a Squire Surf Frankenstrat where an internal GK-3 pickup was installed along with a Warmoth reverse headstock neck.
Bought an Antares ATG-1 foot pedal when they went on sale before discontinuing and the idea was to use the AX8 in combination with it bypassing the greatest weakness I had with Roland/Boss amp models.

The primary use of 13 pin was the great ability to pick a guitar model, pickup, position, and tuning and tap it up in an instant. It was not for synth strings or wind instruments although in some cases, yeah. Played a lot of drop-D and E-flat at the time. Loved it but not the Boss amp models compared to Fractal after trying my friend's Axe FX Ultra years ago. It was the reason for buying the AX8.

Originally, I was going to use 13 pin into the ATG-1 and send that output to the AX8 but never got around to even testing it.

When I get the FM3 that will be one of the things to try is to connect the ATG-1 and see if it works as originally intended. If not, the ATG-1 goes up for sale and funds partially an SY-1000 which will probably cure GAS for several years... I hope!

1. I don't need all the power and features of AXE FX III
2. I wanted the "sound" of AXE FX III
3. I prefer the form factor of the FM3
4. And the price is very reasonable!

Still waiting for the FM3, but I believe the wait will be worth it. (Got on FM3 waitlist a couple hours after the announcement)

Back
Top Bottom