Why did these 5 pin Midi cables not work?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Using the RJM Mastermind PBC (not GT) and these cables messed all my midi settings up and had a clicking thing going on. Educate a midi dork and tell me why these did not work and please tell me which ones I need!
Thanks!

misi cableIMG_0622.jpg

Last edited:
The picture is small and not readable (at least by me), so not sure...

However, I don't think a midi cable of any sort is capable of changing your settings.

I don't know anything about the PBC or what specs it requires for midi pins.

On a different note, I try not to be offended, but as the parent of a special needs child, I'm really put off by the term "retard"... It's offensive.

Midi Roloand.jpg Roland cables. I thought all 5 pins were the same???

@unix-guy what manual? Kidding,...having been with FAS since 2011 I feel like I can get my way around new products but do need to have a look at the manual!

Last edited:
I checked the manual and see this setting:

MIDI Bidir – Turns bidirectional MIDI support on or off. Certain devices support bidirectional communication between the device and MIDI controller. This allows you to have two way communication with a single 5 pin MIDI cable. Don’t turn this parameter on unless you know your device does support bidirectional MIDI. Bidirectional MIDI only works with the first device in your MIDI chain.

Maybe related?

If you are using bi-directional midi, your device needs to support that. I know RJM has updated firmware for some controllers to do that... Not sure if you have updated or had this already working?

Also, make sure that all 5 pins are wired... Some cheap midi cables have only 3 pins wired.

@unix-guy I bought 4x more expensive Roland cables (pictured that did not work) and yes it was all programed with cheap cables, actually one is fine and long enough the other is a right angle crappy cable that works fine but is 4' long so Need a 2nd and don't want to waste anymore $.

By the way I re worded my OP and meant no offense to anyone but was making fun of my self :(

Mastermind PBS FW is up to date

@unix-guy I bought 4x more expensive Roland cables (pictured that did not work) and yes it was all programed with cheap cables, actually one is fine and long enough the other is a right angle crappy cable that works fine but is 4' long so Need a 2nd and don't want to waste anymore $.

By the way I re worded my OP and meant no offense to anyone but was making fun of my self :(

Mastermind PBS FW is up to date
I seem to recall seeing that RJM stuff needs a break out box of some sort for doing bi-directional midi with the Axe Fx III... But I have no experience there. The Axe Fx side would still use midi in and out.

Possibly your cheap cakes worked because they were not actually wired on all 5 pins?

Thanks for updating your OP. As I said, I try not to take offense as I'm sure most people just grew up saying that kind of thing (I definitely did). Once you've been affected by it and see how it impacts a kid who already has enough challenges in daily life, you quickly change your ways. So thanks again.

Ok for reference to all who may run into the this. The RJM Mastermind PBC will work with any 5 pin cable. The Roland ones were deffective is all we can come up with

@unix-guy your welcome and thank you for pointing that out to me. By the way I actually live about 2 hours east of you in the Sonora area!

Last edited:
Some clarity for others who read (craggishred, I know you're all set and have it programmed to do what you want :)). ..5 pin din connectors in/out can be used, Pins 2, 4 and 5 carry midi. A phantom box can also be used utilizing a 5 pin din bidirectional connection too (if one cable vs. two cables are preferred).

The PBC can do quite good at controlling Axe Fx 3. Though the GT is more powerful (I really like the LED's on it), the PBC controls the Axe FX 3 quite well. I have the PBC and still learning to control my axe. The PBC is used for my main stage rig(not Axe)...so since I have it, it's used for the Axe as well for other applications.

Viewing a 5 pin din plug, pins 1 and 3 are not needed for general midi applications. So any general 5 pin din ( 3 pin active) cables will work as mentioned for the PBC. I wouldn't consider a 5 din (3 pinned) cable inexpensive, if that's all which is needed, that's all you need. A 5 pin (with all 5 pins active connections) can be purchased, once again, only 3 are needed/used. 5 pin cables in general, if you're not sure if you need pins 1&3 can be a safer bet as it will work for essentially all 5 din configurations.

...this post can be a good source of info for the group of people that use the PBC for the axe 3 . It's a great controller, and great for those who add pedals within their configuration yet want them completely bypassed when not in use...yet still have a very power midi controller.

Last edited:
Some clarity for others who read (craggishred, I know you're all set and have it programmed to do what you want :)). ..5 pin din connectors in/out can be used, Pins 2, 4 and 5 carry midi. A phantom box can also be used utilizing a 7 pin din bidirectional connection too (if one cable vs. two cables are preferred).

The PBC can do quite good at controlling Axe Fx 3. Though the GT is more powerful (I really like the LED's on it), the PBC controls the Axe FX 3 quite well. I have the PBC and still learning to control my axe. The PBC is used for my main stage rig(not Axe)...so since I have it, it's used for the Axe as well for other applications.

Viewing a 5 pin din plug, pins 1 and 3 are not needed for general midi applications. So any general 5 pin din ( 3 pin active) cables will work as mentioned for the PBC. I wouldn't consider a 5 din (3 pinned) cable inexpensive, if that's all which is needed, that's all you need. A 5 pin (with all 5 pins active connections) can be purchased, once again, only 3 are needed/used. 5 pin cables in general, if you're not sure if you need pins 1&3 can be a safer bet as it will work for essentially all 5 din configurations.

...this post can be a good source of info for the group of people that use the PBC for the axe 3 . It's a great controller, and great for those who add pedals within their configuration yet want them completely bypassed when not in use...yet still have a very power midi controller.
How does a 7 pin cable work with the PBC being that neither it nor the Axe Fx III has PBC has a 7 pin jack?

How does a 7 pin cable work with the PBC being that neither it nor the Axe Fx III has PBC has a 7 pin jack?

oops yea 7 pin...I Mixed it up with my Effects Gizmo. I'll edit it.

A Phantom box can be used with the PBC, it's just not a 7 pin connector used from the phantom power to the PBC (PBC not phantom powered). The box simplifies two midi cables to one bi-directional cable for the PBC.

The phantom box has midi in/out for the axe 5din in/outs, and connects to the phantom box and sits in rack with the axe. From the box another 5 pin which is bi directional connects to the PBC.

Back
Top Bottom