Who's using in-ears straight from the Axe?

somata

Inspired
Our drummer just converted over to an electronic kit so it looks like my band will be starting to run all direct. I'm thinking about going with some in-ears over a powered FRFR speaker. I'm not sure where to start my research, all I know is that I'd rather not/can't spend a fortune...any advice?

how are you going to get your in-ear mix? does your band have its own soundguy? the mix is the most important part.

I do... i use a behringer mixer that has 4 xlr's in. I split my axe at the panel, go stereo to 2 channels on the mixer, split my vocal mic, one to FOH, one to my mixer, then i get a band mix back from the FOH, if he is unwilling to supply I use my whirlwind director directbox and get a feed off of one of the wedges. Then out to my carvin em900.

I have custom triple driver buds... probably the most important part, nay... the most important part.

I made the xlr splitters, you can buy them though, also helpful to have a bag of adapters, gender changers so you are ready for anything.

I have picked up a K12 recently and will add that so there is no void in the stage volume for people up close or on the side of the mains... last time I was told i was not loud enough.

I use both.
In-ear monitoring via the Output 1 (to FOH) & FRFR (RCF Art10a) via Output 2.
I like to be able to quickly adjust the volume i'm hearing onstage with the front panel output2 pot.
The FRFR wedge gives me the the onstage vibe and the In-ears give me the clarity and stereo image.
We have a VERY loud drummer so i have to be able to get over the volume that he delivers.

In Off Broadway USA we use in-ears: the Axe is run stereo and via splitter runs into FOH and into our Allen & Heath monitor console with the rest of the band. Each band member has his own personal mix on the A&H, works really well. I also use an FRFR on a pole to move a little air onstage.

We use Shure PSM 700s, great units, the receivers are all metal and built to take a beating. I personally have tried tons of buds, from the ridiculously expensive to the cheapest Skull Candy's, and have found that simple Apple iPod/iPhone buds give me exactly what I want. I had custom molds done that are able to take the standard iPod/damn near any brand ear bud so I can swap 'em out if a pair goes out. Nice alternative to spending a ton on customs only to have the drivers go and then have to spend the same dough all over again. I had the molds taken by an audiologist, who had them made at Westone- each pair only cost me $145 and will pretty much last forever. UBER tight seal in both my ear and between the mold and the bud, I'm practically deaf with them in, which makes for a fantastic clarity in my mix. Really makes a difference on those harmony vocals ( I am the main back-up vocalist as well as rhythm/lead guitarist).

Back
Top Bottom