Who's the best guitar player of all time to you and why?

dupere11497

Experienced
For me, it has to be Vito Bratta! He was very melodic and yet, unbelievably technic at the same time!! He would incorperate every guitar technic in one guitar solo and still, it would sound melodic!! This guy would be a god now if he would have play in a major band!! And his tone was to die for!! He is the most underated guitar player off all time to me...and the best there was!! I miss your playing Vito!!!

I don't think "best" is the qualifier that matters in this, I think it's the "to you" part in which he DID include, so really his statement is valid :D

Ok guys! The best for you!!! Is that more clear?? I've bee playing for 25 years also, and still, I have favorite ones!! What about your's! This is what this topic is about!!

There so many guitarists that I really like, and all for different reasons!

Just a few in no particular order:
Andres Segovia
Joe Pass
Allan Holdsworth
Charlie Christian
Les Paul
My nephew
Jimi Hendrix
Django Reinhardt
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Wes Montgomery
Frank Zappa
Pat Metheny

OK... too many to list.

Last edited:
To tell the truth, I have no favorite guitarist; none whom I consider the best from my own personal viewpoint. There are just too many styles and approaches to playing, and too many ways to approach excellence. Having said that, here are just a few of the ones I really like.
  • Mark Knopfler — very melodic, very dynamic and very expressive; he excels at becoming one with his instrument and making it talk. Clean fingerstyle playing will really expose a guitarist's connection to his guitar.
  • David Gilmour — a master of phrasing, and a master of weaving those phrases into a complete essay.
  • EVH — he combines spontaneity and shred, with a touch of randomness, in a way that few players ever achieve.
  • Paco Peña — he has really refined his unique approach to flamenco. Yes, Virginia, you really can shred without an amp.

Ok guys! The best for you!!! Is that more clear?? I've bee playing for 25 years also, and still, I have favorite ones!! What about your's! This is what this topic is about!!
Wow-OK then. I guess it's just me and that's fine. I cannot answer the question. I certainly have many favorites. So I won't bother the thread again, sorry :-(

Considering there was no real precedent, and that he did it with a maimed left hand, Django was amazing.

Jimi also blazed a lot of unprecedented territory.

My current favorite is probably Steve Kimock.

john petrucci, jimmy page, jimi hendrix, steve vai, joe satriani, tom scholz, wes montgomery, larry carlton, eric clapton...

what're your qualifiers? what defines "best," "favorite" etc.

Last edited:
For me I have a few... so

Eddie Van Halen, because he taped into something that forever changed guitar... pun intended,
Brian May, for his phrasings and killer studio work,
Steve Clark, for his uncanny ability to come up with riffs that put a smile on your face and compel you to want to pick up the guitar,
Steve Vie, for his technical abilities.
Paul Gilbert, For his speed and agility.
Jimmi Page, way ahead of his time at the time.
The Edge, for his ability to riff chords and for making delay cool popular tool.

Andres Segovia
Joe Pass
Allan Holdsworth
Charlie Christian
Les Paul
My nephew
Jimi Hendrix
Django Reinhardt
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Wes Montgomery
Frank Zappa
Pat Metheny

OK... too many to list.

Excellent list! I'd trade Jimmy Bruno for Pat Metheny, tho.

In no particular order:

Shawn Lane
Wayne Krantz
John McLaughlin
David Grissom
Eric Johnson
Frank Gambale
Joyce Cooling
Lyle Workman
Marco Sfogli
Paul Brown
Ray Montford
Sonny Landreth
Chet Atkins
Brent Mason
Larry Carlton
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Pat Metheny
Jimmy Herring
Phil Keaggy
Tommy Emmanuel
and (of course)
Me

Why?

Because I like 'em.

'nuff said.

(probably left a few out)

Last edited:

Andres Segovia
Joe Pass
Allan Holdsworth
Charlie Christian
Les Paul
My nephew
Jimi Hendrix
Django Reinhardt
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Wes Montgomery
Frank Zappa
Pat Metheny

OK... too many to list.
Joe Pass and Les Paul were amazing guitarists. I've heard few songs from them but they blew me away and left a great impression on me. Man Les Paul suprised me though. If he had a dual rectifier with an 808 pedal that guy would melt faces with his very impressive clean shredding skills. Joe Pass is probably what I would hold as a jazz standard of excellence guitar player. His song Windows was simply amazing. I wish I could play real jazz.

Far too many to list. I love just about everyone listed so far.

If I narrowed it down a bit: Lifeson, EVH, Rhoads, Hendrix, SRV, Satriani, Vai, EJ, Shawn Lane, Robben Ford, Petrucci, Beck...

So do I... good to see some love for Kimock and Rothery on here ;-)

Steve Howe, Page, Gilmour, Carlton, Jake Cinninger, Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes, Roine Stolt, EVH, Trey Anastasio, McLaughlin, Edge, Fripp, Jerry Garcia, John Scofield, Pete Townshend, Michael Hedges, Kimock, Bill Nelson, Carlos, Gambale, Dave Navarro, Steven Wilson, Peter Buck, Mike Campbell, Trevor Rabin...

(it all starts and ends with Yes! ;-)

Well, if I have to choose just a couple, I have to go with Joe Satriani and John 5, both of which amazed me many years ago and continue every album they put out. I'm happy J5 is finally getting the public recognition he deserves. He's been blowing minds in the industry for a lot of years and has played on an incredibly impressive list of gigs, but just didn't get the "guitar magazine" coverage until a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom