Who's Planning To "Eventually" Move Up To The III?

During the early beta phase there was a joke in private communications. It went like this.

"The Axe-Fx III has a big problem: it made me not want to use my II."

Great marketing slogan!

"The Axe-Fx III has a big problem: it will make you not to want to use your Axe-Fx II....or your real amplifier, for that matter!"

Me, if there is convolution reverb and if the sample rate is increased to 88khz.
I will give a new chance to the product. :)

Planning to upgrade to the III? Yes.
Loving my II XL? Absolutely.

I've been using my AxeFXII XL for a few years, and during that time I have played about a few hundred gigs, and tracked guitar / bass parts for dozens of recording projects. I have had FOH soundmen tell me (many times) "...that is the best guitar tone I've ever had at the board". Straight XLR in to the mixing board, and this response is from full-time pro sound operators.

So, is the AxeFX II suddenly not good enough? Hardly.
  • When I bought my XL, it shipped with FW 12. There have been a steady stream of updates to my unit - all free - and every time I hear it, I'm blown away at the capabilities of the system.
  • I have a lot of other gear in my world that hasn't been "upgraded"... my main guitar is from the late 80s. Yes, there are new capabilities in the latest models, but my guitar is pretty good just like it is. My backline speaker cabs are more than ten years old. My studio wah pedal is a late 60s Thomas Organ model. My car is a 2010 model. I don't feel left behind or bummed out when new features / models are introduced. I upgrade when I feel it's time.
  • To my point above, I happen to be gigging and recording a lot. Upgrading to the AxeFX III will be nice, but it doesn't invalidate all the work I've done with my II XL. When it's time, I'll make the upgrade. Until then, I'll continue impressing FOH sound operators with the best tone they've ever heard at the board.
  • If you're on the fence about getting a II or a III, keep in mind that the mind-blowing power and tone of the II hasn't been diminished in any way.
When I do fly gigs and can't bring my full rig, I just grab the AX8. It's very very good, and I can perform our shows with the AX8 without limitation. The reason I have the II XL is so I can layer amps / cabs with a more complex signal chain; that deeper complexity is mainly revealed in the studio, and on tour dates where the PA system can produce a detailed / pristine mix. I suspect the AxeFX III will be a bit better in the studio (once I become familiar with its capabilities). For musicians who want fantastic tone, you can't go wrong with the AxeFX II, especially given the price point.

Back
Top Bottom