Who's gone from the III to the FM9?

Yep, one thing I did was set up layout links for my two per-preset layouts which will show the opposite per-preset layout on a connected FC controller when one of those two layouts is selected. I considered getting an FC6 initially but scenes + OFM9G gets it done for me.
I also use the hold function to switch channels on my drives, delays and mods...but honestly try to use either scenes or best case when I have the time to program, automated changes from Ableton.

Since I'm typically MD'ing as well as playing lead the less I have to tap dance the better.

The biggest drawback, other than the amount of blocks you can have in a preset, is the scene change switching speed. I am running both amp and cab blocks, with dyna-cabs. The FM9T is considerably slower with my presets that hover around 70% usage.
Unless you're talking about the audio gap when changing channels on the Amp block, you're statement is confusing to me.

Scene changes are pretty much instantaneous - that's a big part of what scenes are for.

Do you have a lot of modifiers in your presets?

Are you sure it's not related to your switch setup? Do your scene switches have a Hold function assigned? If so, they fire on release, not press, and that can make things appear slow if you're not a "fast tapper" of switches.

Recently switched things up a bit and set up my FC6 on the FM9. Lots of wide open space for stuff....
20230815_233622.jpg
It's more or less similar to my old dual FC6 "6LOL6" setup, so maybe it's "6LOL9"....

Here is a screenshot of my worship kitchen sink patch in the Axe Fx Mark I 86% and FM9 76% (non Turbo) and a bonus one of my patch plus a plex reverse delay block as a bonus which is only active on my ambient scene 83%. My top 3 buttons are layout switches which got to quick mod, time, or, reverb whenever I need to differ from my scenes.
NOTE: Using dyna-cab as well and reverbs are on ULTRAHigh in both units.

I turn on my Fm9 almost exclusively.
A. I like using drives with it.
B. I have a separate patch that I run into the front or into the effects loop of my amp when I don't want to turn everything in my studio on. I find it much easier and 1000% more inspiring.
Axe Fx.pngFm9.pngFm9 Layout.pngFm9 with external drives.pngImage.jpeg

Last edited:
This has been a helpful thread to read through.

I have an FM9T that I use for gigging and a Axe III Mark I in a 6u shallow rack with Furman Power Conditioner and FC-12 Mark III at home for studio work, but I've not done a ton of that lately due to being a new dad and another one on the way...

I feel like the Axe III is a great form factor for studio work in addition to capability (dual pitch blocks is the main one I think I'd miss but I'm not even 100% sure of that). So far the CPU on the FM9 is pretty much equal IME, just like others have shown in this thread. The III will never go anywhere so the real debate is will the FM9T serve me as a home studio unit and my feeling is yes.

I have been debating selling off the whole III rig for another FM9T to take up some less space and put a little cash in my pocket. But I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom