Who uses Proximity in the Cab block and why?

I am for when I need more of that "thump" below 250Hz that you get when you close mic a real guitar cab. Having a sub in your setup makes the proximity control stand out a bit more FWIW.
I have often wondered if adding a sub would add more of that "amp in the room" feel when playing through studio monitors.

Thanks. I use low cuts regularly. I use a para eq block before the amp block to control gain mush, and after the cab block to tailor the amount of bass in the overall sound. I use the low cut in the cab block as well. One thing I like to do is set the filter order to -6, and set the frequency a bit higher than you would using a higher order filter. I run anywhere from flat to 200Hz or more depending on the amp model, which IR I'm using, and what I'm looking for.

I was joking with my comment about the proximity control, I sometimes turn down the LF resonance of the the speaker impedance on the amp speaker page to achieve something similar.

I've auditioned every IR in the Axe III, numerous times, and have IR packs from several vendors. I have recently bought a new IR package that I really like, it requires much less bass cut than others I've used in the past.
Cool. You might want to check out the Input EQ lo cut in the amp block. Using that set to 100Hz to 233Hz in heavy bass content amps can really help snd you may not need that ParaEQ block, could save some PEQ!

Cool. You might want to check out the Input EQ lo cut in the amp block. Using that set to 100Hz to 233Hz in heavy bass content amps can really help snd you may not need that ParaEQ block, could save some PEQ!

I agree the amp block eq functions are excellent and would cover everything I do with the external eq blocks. One amp block eq function that can't be accomplished any other way is the ability to add an eq between the preamp and power amp. That's a great place to cut mush from the power amp.

The main reason I started using the external eq blocks is so I didn't have to tweak the amp blocks as much when auditioning amps. I found I was making the same pre and post amp eq adjustments over and over, so it made sense to pull them out just to save a little time.

I can also use the para eq in front of the amp block as a clean boost by adding some gain and/or a mid bump. I generally get better results doing this than by adding a drive block. I realize I can get pretty much the same results with the amp block boost function, but I feel I have a little bit more control doing the shaping with the para eq.

Anyway, the great thing about the Axe is that there are so many tools that can be used in so many ways. We can all have our favorite way of doing things.

I have often wondered if adding a sub would add more of that "amp in the room" feel when playing through studio monitors.

It does I think, it's certainly better if you're listening to full range music with extended bass. But if you tune your system for extended bass, you may find that low cuts in the guitar are necessary, at least I did.

I agree the amp block eq functions are excellent and would cover everything I do with the external eq blocks. One amp block eq function that can't be accomplished any other way is the ability to add an eq between the preamp and power amp. That's a great place to cut mush from the power amp.

The main reason I started using the external eq blocks is so I didn't have to tweak the amp blocks as much when auditioning amps. I found I was making the same pre and post amp eq adjustments over and over, so it made sense to pull them out just to save a little time.

I can also use the para eq in front of the amp block as a clean boost by adding some gain and/or a mid bump. I generally get better results doing this than by adding a drive block. I realize I can get pretty much the same results with the amp block boost function, but I feel I have a little bit more control doing the shaping with the para eq.

Anyway, the great thing about the Axe is that there are so many tools that can be used in so many ways. We can all have our favorite way of doing things.
Totally agree. And I do sometimes still use that GEQ in the amp block sometimes to lower the 63K down by a db or two. Lots of tools, lots of ways to get there!

Yeah, I’m with you guys on the limitless placement of EQ. I pretty much always keep my amp block eq set to Pre PA since that’s the only EQ that can sit there, then I can do anything I want before and after. I found crazily great results with Pre PA followed by one between the amp and cab blocks, with yet another EQ after the cab. None of it’s strictly necessary, but the flexibility is very helpful, especially to fit in the mix.

I use it to add a bit of depth and weight to specific IRs that are thin. I seldom add bass via the amp itself (on guitar, of course), but I use the Proximity rather frequently between 120 - 200 Hz. Adding between 1 - 3 of a given frequency is more than enough for most IRs.

Use with precautions...can easily make you walk on the bass players' playground and on FOH may nerve sound engineers if you push it over 5. I like it a lot for fattening up a bit overall guitar sound and bring in some 'wood' but never more than between 1-2.
What frequency do you usually set it to?

Back
Top Bottom