Who makes a good "Blackmachine" style guitar?

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I guess I'm fishing for names of builders to google that do something in the vein of a blackmachine (i.e. Skervesen Raptor).

USA builders preferred, but not exclusive.

+1 to guys that won't completely break the bank but do quality work.

I think at this point I'm leaning towards Blackwater, but their waitlist isn't even reopened yet. JWVan is definitely on my radar after seeing what he did with my 7... I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anyone.

He's right in my backyard!
And it looks like he makes some cool stuff, but he also says right up front that he's not into "replica" types... not sure if that would disqualify me or not. Might have to drop him a line and find out.

Anyone else have a suggestion or two? Maybe someone with a base model in the Blackmachine ballpark?

I think his replica policy is he won't copy headstock designs or exact model dimensions. So if you want a 57 Les Paul copy, he's not your guy. But if you want a hand made super-strat style guitar, with one of his headstocks, he'll do it up.

He's a good dude too, to top it off.

Somehow I think Ormsby is going to be on the more expensive side of qualified luthiers.

I once got a quote from ormsby for a custom build. It was enough to get two decked out skerves and a decent amp.
I appreciate the suggestion, but if I were looking to play in that ballpark I'd get a daemoness and call it a day... law of diminishing returns as a player, I'm not the guitarist that's necessary to make best use of such an instrument.

He's right in my backyard!
And it looks like he makes some cool stuff, but he also says right up front that he's not into "replica" types... not sure if that would disqualify me or not. Might have to drop him a line and find out.

1. Thanks for checking out my work!
2. Thanks for reading the FAQs! :)

I think his replica policy is he won't copy headstock designs or exact model dimensions. So if you want a 57 Les Paul copy, he's not your guy. But if you want a hand made super-strat style guitar, with one of his headstocks, he'll do it up.

Nailed it! :)

He's a good dude too, to top it off.

Aw, thanks, homie!

Ormsby in Australia. Sully trained under him

That's not exactly true; Perry and I are very good friends, and he's definitely helped me out a ton. Saying that I've trained under him in a building sense isn't true. Not to mention, being under him would be a little awkward; he's smaller than me. :) It's all good, though! He's one of my favorite people ever.

As far as the OP, I don't know how close I'd go to what you're looking for, but my 624 model is a super strat. I was kinda sorta kicking around the idea of doing my own version of one of those styles, but it's mainly because I've got a 1pc mahogany body blank that's too thin to use for a standard body thickness. :)

Sully

Yep!

15612298048_146097102d_z.jpg

djn.jpg

I currently have two more in the channel; another one for Dee J, and one for (Fractal artist) Andee Blacksugar of BlackSugar Transmission and Peter Murphy's band.

15553339727_4f9191fc02_z.jpg

I just have to write notes to myself as I go. :)

Sully

Feline Guitars makes blackmachine b6's that are identical to the real deal. Doug from Blackmachine occasionally even helps them make them.

Back
Top Bottom