Who is using the Fractal Expression pedal?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I have a Boss EV/Vol type pedal that I never liked and old Mission pedal that has lame gears and it does not stay up so of course this makes me lean toward the FAS expression pedal.

Who has one and likes it, can you compare / contrast it with others?

I'm interested in this as well. I've had my AX8 for a couple weeks and quickly discovered - I need an expression pedal. I'm on yet another waitlist for a black EV-1.

I ordered mine with the EV-1 and it's supposed to arrive Thursday! That said, I also have the Boss FV500 aluminum boat. It's broken in the way that it still works but it won't stay up and wouldn't mind getting it fixed. I'd much rather get the Mission pedal with the spring and switch but, honestly, I don't even know what model that is :rolleyes:. Everything I've been reading on the EV-1 says it's the best taper.

I'm interested in this as well. I've had my AX8 for a couple weeks and quickly discovered - I need an expression pedal. I'm on yet another waitlist for a black EV-1.

How does one get on this waiting list for it? I'm wanting that one for contrast against the silver for different parameter controls.

I've had the Mission Pedals(work great for Wah feel), EB VP converted to expression pedal, old wah's that were converted to expression pedals.......hands down the EV-1 is the best expression pedal I have ever used for the Axe FX/AX8 for volume or general expression controls. You will still want a Mission Pedal to use as a Wah just because of the limited range of motion(it feels more like a traditional wah when using it), but the EV-1 will cover every other need!!!

I have never used an EV-1, I have been using an EB Jr for so long as an expression pedal I'm guessing it will be weird for me to use something else.

I have a Boss EV/Vol type pedal that I never liked and old Mission pedal that has lame gears and it does not stay up so of course this makes me lean toward the FAS expression pedal.

Who has one and likes it, can you compare / contrast it with others?

I bought 2 about 6 months ago. I use one for volume and the other for wah. They work great for me but some folks don't care for it as a wah pedal. They're larger than a normal wah pedal so there's a longer throw from min to max. They're built like a tank.

Incidentally, I've also used one as a regular volume pedal when I play acoustic guitar through an acoustic amp. That capability was an additional selling point for me because I don't have a volume control on my acoustic pickup.

I ordered mine with the EV-1 and it's supposed to arrive Thursday! That said, I also have the Boss FV500 aluminum boat. It's broken in the way that it still works but it won't stay up and wouldn't mind getting it fixed. I'd much rather get the Mission pedal with the spring and switch but, honestly, I don't even know what model that is :rolleyes:. Everything I've been reading on the EV-1 says it's the best taper.

How does one get on this waiting list for it? I'm wanting that one for contrast against the silver for different parameter controls.

You know the drill:) ...email waitlist@fractalaudio.com with EV-1 Black in the subject line

Love it.

Had a Boss and a Mission. Both are sold. The FX8 has a nice solid feel, very smooth taper. Excellent for fine control over whatever parameter you assign it to. And once I got use to the longer throw, it I like it for Wah too.

After looking at my black , dirt covered Fractal expression pedal , my only regret is not getting the silver one instead.

I use 2 Ernie ball vpjr's with the guts ripped out and moded with a single linear taper pot wired strait to a trs jack. I also remove the back rubber stopper and stick a 7/16 nut under it to limit the travel and put a longer screw in.

This setup is much better than my mission pedals imo.

I've had the Mission Pedals(work great for Wah feel), EB VP converted to expression pedal, old wah's that were converted to expression pedals.......hands down the EV-1 is the best expression pedal I have ever used for the Axe FX/AX8 for volume or general expression controls. You will still want a Mission Pedal to use as a Wah just because of the limited range of motion(it feels more like a traditional wah when using it), but the EV-1 will cover every other need!!!
I am just curious. Why not increase the slope of the controller on your wah, and just use less of the throw on the EV-1?

I may be biased, but I have also owned about every expression pedal you can name. I love the EV-1. Its super-wide travel, planetary gearing, and smooth feel are unmatched. Its tension adjustment mechanism is also extremely well-engineered. I also love the large recessed area on top where you can place labels (EXT1, WAH, etc.)

I do also still keep and use several other expression pedals, but the EV-1 is my favorite.

I'm with Mr. Picone: the EV1 is my favorite of the three different styles I own (2 x Mission, a modified EB VP and the EV1). I would go all EV1 if I was buying expression pedals all over again. I thought I might miss my one, spring loaded Mission but nope. I just set the off zone to be toe down instead of up and it works great.

I got 2 and really like them. I really like the build quality and designs mentioned above. Reading about calibrating the expression pedals I wondered if the EV-1 would need to be calibrated, since it is built to FAS specs and tolerances. When going through the cal procedure they were just 1 off. So I guess they really did not need to be calibrated. I'll have to try Joe's suggestion to see if I like that, I have just accepted the EV-1's throw for wah. I have not got into much tweaking, I needed support to get the Vol and Wah to work with AX8.

FWIW I went with an EV1 and a Morley M2VC for my AX8 rig. I like the EV1 as an expression pedal for all the reasons M@ mentions but the lack of spring precluded me wanting to use it as a Wah and for me a custom slop is also needed for the EV1 depending on how you use it as the long throw compared to normal pedals takes some getting used to. As I have used Morely optical wahs for a very long time the M2VC fit the bill for familiarity of feel. The Morley pedal doesn't come with a spring but they will sell you a spring kit for $20 including shipping if you are OK to fit it yourself which isn't difficult.

For what it's worth my 2pence worth, the EV-1 is a damn great pedal and the best I've tried for the AXE FX, in general. It has a long very smooth sweep and works effortlessly with just about everything the AXE may need it for....However, I don't think it offers the best solution for a wah, the long sweep is just not to my taste - Yes there are ways to limit this by setting the throw parameters when setting it up with the axe for the first time (Calibrating) or adjusting the parameters when setting up your patch, but I find you still will tend to loose the smoothness if you go past the threshold of where you have re calibrated it to....It's my opinion but an honest one.
On another plus though, and this is reason I actually purchased two of the EV-1's is the jacks are to the rear, which helped free up a bunch of space on my pedal board. I still use a 1967 VOX script for my Wah though.

I have 2 EV-1 pedals, plus a couple of Mission controllers on other boards. The EV-1 is by far the smoothest and is ideal for fine control. I prefer the feel of the Mission controller for wah, because I'm so accustomed to the action of the Crybaby pedal. For everything else, the EV-1 is by far the best.

I am just curious. Why not increase the slope of the controller on your wah, and just use less of the throw on the EV-1?
I thought about this too. But before I changed all of my presets I decided to try adjusting the tension on the pedal for a looser feel. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Back
Top Bottom