Who is recording the FM3 on Reaper DAW

Chiguete

Experienced
I would like to know if your recordings look like this?
before and after normalize track.png

On the top left is the level I'm getting using direct thru USB and on the top right is how it looks after normalizing. The bottom ones are a backing track for refferance...

What is your preset's level in the OUT 1 block VU meter? 0 dB on that meter should correspond to about -14 dBFS in Reaper.

Mine is fine, must be a per preset thing cause yes they vary quite a bit. Personally I never normalize unless its a one day turnaround on a commercial job- audio.

I record in Reaper. I usually crank the output to get a hotter signal in, if the preset level is ok. Wav looking like the one on the right.

I record in Reaper. I usually crank the output to get a hotter signal in, if the preset level is ok. Wav looking like the one on the right.
The one in the right is how I would it it to be but I can only get that by normalizing the track.

Go to your output block and make sure the rig is running hot enough. If it's low, turn the amp level up until it's close to peaking. Make sure this matches up in reaper by using the output knob on the fm3. Your tracks will be super noisy if you dont hit the daw hot enough and have to normalize like this.

Because in this one I want to get feedback from people that use Reaper and maybe ask them something specific about that DAW that is done different than other ones.
As was explained to you the last time you asked this, it has nothing to do with Reaper. If you’d like to know what to do about this, see the instructions you were given in that other thread.

I record with reaper all the time. The waveform/level is completely dependent on what's coming into reaper via audio interface/sound card. So this must be solved before it hits reaper. Reaper just records what it's given.

What is your preset's level in the OUT 1 block VU meter? 0 dB on that meter should correspond to about -14 dBFS in Reaper.

That's still quite a db gap. Is this true for everyone using the FM3 interface to Reaper?

I think a good way to troubleshoot your levels at first is to run a looper block in a preset, and record it looping your playing while you dial the output block level, watching the wave fluctuate to where you want it to be. Then save that level where you're happy with it and you're good to go.

It's not a gap. They are two completely different decibel scales. VU meters are relative to some chosen reference level that 0dB corresponds to. Digital audio uses dBFS (decibels Full Scale) that corresponds to the available range of values in the chosen bit depth of the audio signal. 0 dBFS = the maximum allowable value that a sample can store (all bits are 1). There's no such thing as positive dBFS values. 0 dBFS is the absolute maximum so the signal is hard clipped there. With a VU meter, positive values are common. In the case of Fractal units, 0dB on the Output VU meter corresponds to a chosen signal level that provides a good recording signal level yet still provides ample headroom for peaks in dynamic signals. This happens to correspond to around -14 dBFS in your DAW. In other words, when the Out block VU meter reads 0dB, you still have about 14 dB of headroom available for peaks.

No, it's basically fine:

1643402973034.png

The fact that they're smaller than, say, full mastered/limited tracks isn't a problem. There's plenty of signal over the noise floor.

Back
Top Bottom