white sweet potatoes

I cut them in thin slices - only to the near of the bottom so that the slices holds together. Brush them with olive oil and butter. Springle black pepper, salt, garlic powder and thyme on. In a hot oven for about 45 min. Brush them every 15 min.

I "candy" the sweet potatoes.

Cut potatoes 1/2" slices.
Boil until soft.
In a pan that you will later cover. Heat pan & melt 2 Tbsps of butter.
Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar. The sugar will liquify. To help speed up the liquifying add 2 Tbsps of water.
Add potatoes, more butter, cover pan & simmer. Occasionally mix to cover potatoes with the syrup.
If you find you need more syrup, add some pancake syrup.
Measurements are a starting point. Adjust to taste.

My Dad grows massive red and white sweet potatoes most every year and usually gives most of them away. I usually bake them until soft, split them add butter and sometimes honey or brown sugar and cinnamon.

Works for Yams or Sweet Potatoes:

Spicy Yam HomeFries

(P.S. you can replace the coconut aminos with Braggs aminos or soy sauce or worsteshire sauce. I am on a grain-free Paleo diet, so I use the coconut aminos. Not easy to find locally, but readily available at Amazon and other places on-line. This recipe conforms to the Whole 30 Paleo Eating guidelines. Ghee is clarified butter, because the Whole 30 is 'dairy free', and Clarified butter has none of the milk proteins like casein - but you can just use butter if you like. Garam Masala is a friggin' awesome indian spice that also kicks righteous ass in a chicken salad. It is more readily available, but again, if not near you, online.)

You need:
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
one medium yam
1 TBSP ghee
1 TBSP Coconut oil
Sprinkling of shredded coconut
Salt
Pepper
Coconut Enzymes
Garam Masala
Cayenne pepper powder (optional, but you really want it, trust me).

put the yam in a microwave for 3 minutes (1/2 done), or bake until 1/2 done (softish but still firm, not mushy on the inside). cut into small cubes. Set it aside.

Slice onions into 1/8 thick slices. Roughly mince the garlic (not too small). Set aside together

Melt the oil and ghee in a frying pan

When it's hot, add the garlic/onion mixture and saute past translucent to a little browned/carmelized
then add the diced yam. Saute 1-2 minutes, add oh, 5 shakes or so of the enzymes. Saute a minute more, then add the salt, pepper, garam masala, cayenne, coconut to taste (I recommend a light two-finger sprinkle of sea salt, 4-5 grinds of a pepper grinder (preferably containing a multi-colored peppercorn melange), 3-5 shakes of the garam masala, 2-4 shakes of the cayenne, and 1/8 closed palmful of shredded coconut).

Stir it up a little more, and EAT IT!

Last edited:
I usually prefer to throw a fork block in front of my WHITE sweet potatoes. Red ones, fork or spoon, doesn't matter.

Regardless of which variety I use I always add butter block behind the potato in the signal chain. Sometimes I'll add in a cinnamon based cab block, and maybe some brown sugar wah (always controlled by a very flexible external wrist controller though). You have to be mindful of the controllers sensitivity on the wah though. Too much can make it taste a little too sweet, and you want to retain a lot of the original flavor of the....

Oh, wait....

Love sweet potatoes, sometimes I just add them to soups. Or cut them small and cook into black beans to make sweet potato tacos.

Thanks all for sharing your recipes!

I recently discovered the white sweet potato variety and find them to be quite delicious. While dieting, I had taken to steaming my veggies with little or no seasoning, and the traditional, darker orange colored sweet potato was a staple. As an alternative, I tried the white sweet potato and have fallen in love with its more delicate flavor.

Happy Easter to those of you who observe.

Not on my low carb diet. Shouldn't be in paleo either?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom