White Rabbit - Ever succeeded?

Deltones

Experienced
If there's one that that always freaked me out (in a good way) about the Jefferson Airplanes' White Rabbit, it's that breakup happening at 11-12s in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0

Have you ever been able to re-create that sort of breakup on one of your clean patch when recording direct? For that matter, have you ever been able to create that kind of clean tone on your Ultra?

AndrewSimon said:
That almost sounds like a string buzz.... maybe it is.
;)

Nah man, I'm an expert in string buzz, and no string buzz of mine ever sounded that good :mrgreen:

It just kinda of reminded me of a little amp
I had along time ago. Cranked up, still clean,
Pluck soft sounds good, pluck hard, it'd
cause the speaker to break up.

Don't know what it is (my 1st guess was fret buzz but on closer listening, sounds like a real cheapo speaker to me).

I do know one thing - - that guitarist CAT sure is GROOVY - - I suspect he may have popped a LID or 2 earlier in the day and had to avoid the FUZZ who were getting HIP to the band's FAR OUT HAPPENINGS in the HAIGHT where LOVE and PEACE abounded for FREAKS and CHICKS who took time to DIG THE SCENE and TUNE IN / DROP OUT back in the day. MAN.

But seriously - If I'm not mistaken, I guess that's Paul Kantner of whom I am a big fan but more from the STARSHIP days which I was a wee bit older.

Yeah, to me it just sounds like breakup from digging in to the string hard. The rest is picked very lightly which cleans it up.

Holy crap, I forgot how hot she was back then. Thanks for the refresher :mrgreen:

My band does this. I'm using a solidbody anyway so I don't expect to get the sound perfect. I just have it set hot enough to break up when I pick hard.

Stringtheorist said:
My band does this. I'm using a solidbody anyway so I don't expect to get the sound perfect. I just have it set hot enough to break up when I pick hard.

Yeah, but have you achieved this when going direct with your Ultra/Standard?

Deltones said:
Stringtheorist said:

Yeah, but have you achieved this when going direct with your Ultra/Standard?
I'm only going direct for volume support. Most of my sound comes from my backline.

It actually sounds more like solid state clipping - you can nail that sound when overloading just about any solid state mic pre or board channel input.

Oh man, Starship... How many incarnations of a band name did these guys go through? I got to open for them years ago when they were "Starship featuring Mickey Thomas" and the guitarist was a real jerk. It felt pretty good though when Mickey was pissed at the monitors and said from stage, "How long would it take to get that other band's monitors/sound guys in here?"

Back
Top Bottom