Which speaker should you use? This should help..

They chose really dark mic placements, so it’s tough to hear what the speaker actually sounds like. It was cool to watch though and I made notes about a few I’d like to try sometime. Thanks for posting!

Hard to tell from this video. But Heritage Rola 65's are a good re-issue. But since this is a celestion thread, regarding celestion for Fractal, Celestion digital does not capture IRs with fine mics like a vintage M160, 4047, or an SM7b or U87 or even U67 would be nice. They only just use 57s and 421s. They do dave some R121 captures but an m160 is a whey better ribbon in my opinion.

I don't even know why people use 57s because then it needs to be blended with other mics. I find it to not be a great sounding mic unless the capsule is in the Sm7b format. 421 is also overrated. I prefer a beyerdynamic M201.

If celestion digital would capture their Heritage 65 reissue or Lead80 with nicer mics then their IRs would not sound so bright and shrill. Their only IRs that tames that is an R121 but that mic lacks the full mids that a vintage M160 has.

I don't even know why people use 57s because then it needs to be blended with other mics. I find it to not be a great sounding mic unless the capsule is in the Sm7b format. 421 is also overrated. I prefer a beyerdynamic M201.
I think, there are great classic rocksound done only with one or two SM 57. Same as the 421 - there are for shure better mics, but it has been a standard on so many records.

I think, there are great classic rocksound done only with one or two SM 57. Same as the 421 - there are for shure better mics, but it has been a standard on so many records.
I agree with you, but that is because the speakers made back then sounded whey better and were a lot less harsh sounding than the cheaper shrill sounding speakers of today which simply are a write off with so many of these IRs all over the place.
The chinese made v30 is so harsh that its not even usable if you put a 57 on it alone. Lots of scratchy earbleed. It akes lots of blending with mics like royer 121.
The lead 80 is ok but also very bright.
But have to use finer mics.

Back on those records, the engineer could put on 57 on the speaker and it would sound amazing without even needing to blend mics but they sometimes did with the white 421-N I think it was with the copper capsule and that tuschel connector or whatever its called. Very thick sound capture to blend with the cut of the 57.

But so many of todays speakers just don't sound good due to so much shrillness caused by cheaper magnets like they are doing in China and cheaper materials in general. Which is why one will find the need to blend mics (or IRs) a lot.

But apparently there is some Italian Rola production happening now again with the heritage 65.

Last edited:
I still think a single 57 is the standard for a reason. If you can't get a good sound out of a single 57, then something is wrong. I don't like blending mics, nor ribbon or large diaphragm condensers on guitar cabs. At least when close micing.

Back
Top Bottom