Which speaker..... EV ELX112 or EV115?

Kdogg14

I didn't even get my Axe FX2 yet and I am about to buy a speaker. The reason why I am doing this now is because I found a great deal on the EV ELX speakers. Any input would be appreciated. I do not gig. However, I do play in my basement in a band with a loud drummer. I play mostly thrash and death metal with some hard rock mixed in on a sevenstring. I play in normal and one whole step down tuning. What size speaker would suite me, the ELX 112 or ELX115? I am leaning towards the 12 but wanted input on the 15 as I don't mind spending the extra money. Also, do I need to get 2 or will 1 be enough? Thanks everyone! BTW... would it safe to assume that my name might come up on the waiting list within a month from now as I put my name on the list Feb 2.

I got 2 12 inch and they rock rock rock, all for me in a bedroom. 15 inch I would not recommend likely very boomy and bassy, mine already are bassy with reverberations off corners and in a bedroom. I turn the bass down on my global master. When I was deciding in the first place I saw a thread about this, and the suggestion from a "guru" was 15 inch speakers arent "proper" for guitar frequencies. I didnt have the ability to listen so I went with 2 12s and happy. Nice to have stereo separation

I like the 12 but I also tried them both out. I suggest the doing same. Only you will know what you like.

Ive been debating between these and an Alto 112a. Not sure exactly if I should get passive or active. I think 1 would be enough unless you wanted to run stereo

Either will do fine and personal taste, try before buying if you can... I'm running a pair of elx115p... it would appear most people prefer the 112p (and as mentioned, one of the moderators recommend 112 over 115, something to do with cross-over frequency in middle of guitar range if I recall correctly) anyhow I DJ as well so wanted that extra umph on low end without having to lug around a sub. If they are sitting on the the floor yes they are boomy for guitar and turn down bass on the board (as with any speaker on the floor). When they are on stands at practice no issues and center the bass again... playing out they are killer and fill the room. We recently flipped our bass player over from an old crate cab to the bass expansion pack on a XT live and mic'd the drummer as well and run the entire mix through them period, quick, easy, portable and loud as hell... love them. You more than likely can get by with one unless you plan on tinkering with stereo or running multiple instruments through it in which case recommend panning for clarity.

Back
Top Bottom