Which Sennheiser Headphones?

Hi, I have 2 pairs of the Audio Technica ATH-M50's that I use in the studio and with my Axe FX III and FM3...and love them. I needed one more pair of headphones and thought instead of getting on more of the same thing, I would try something different. I picked up a pair of Sennheiser DT 990 Pro's (250 ohm ver). I notice that the are significantly lower in volume than my other headphones. Is this normal and is it due to the 250 ohm version? Is there a suggested way to bring them up to comparable volume as my ATH-M50's?

Thanks
Derek

Hi, I have 2 pairs of the Audio Technica ATH-M50's that I use in the studio and with my Axe FX III and FM3...and love them. I needed one more pair of headphones and thought instead of getting on more of the same thing, I would try something different. I picked up a pair of Sennheiser DT 990 Pro's (250 ohm ver). I notice that the are significantly lower in volume than my other headphones. Is this normal and is it due to the 250 ohm version? Is there a suggested way to bring them up to comparable volume as my ATH-M50's?

Thanks
Derek
Simply bump the volume in the OUT block. Yes volume drop is due to higher impedance.

I have hd650’s , I really don’t find any need for a headphone amp, I also have a pair of audio technical atm50x’s but I found close backs a lot less comfortable long term.. hd650’s are also great for mixing

Simply bump the volume in the OUT block. Yes volume drop is due to higher impedance.
Thanks. Part of the reason for not bumping the out is that I have electronic drums, the Axe FX III, a Kemper and an FM3 feeding into a mixer and then the all players (just a small non-professional home studio setup for quiet jamming) are listing to the mixed audio out of the mixer. I just want my headphone volume levels to match watch everyone else is hearing. I guess my two options are to get a third pair of the ATH-M50's or to bump up the volume of the DT990 Pro's using a small headphone amp.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I am really not a headphone guy, I prefer to listen what I am playing through monitors or amp/cab but a year ago I bought the HD600s and tried them with my AF3...I dug'em...obviously, I still prefer listening what I am playing through monitors or amp/cab but I could sure live with those too...

No experience with any other HDs so I can't compare...

I own an old pair of HD555, like 10 years old maybe but they sound good enought for me. Do you guys think that the HD650 would be a noticeable upgrade or should I stick with my current ones until they break one day?

I own an old pair of HD555, like 10 years old maybe but they sound good enought for me. Do you guys think that the HD650 would be a noticeable upgrade or should I stick with my current ones until they break one day?
660's would be an upgrade - not 650's - had both 660's were worth upgrade - my 800's not much better for a fraction of the price

I’ve been using DT990 Pro. For me the volume is high enough already when knob is at noon.

I like the open form, because there is no pressure. Can play whole day😀

However, the low end has more kick with closed headphones. Much more.

I know this is kinda a standard response, but I absolutely hated mine. Many claim them flat but I felt like they had a more harsh response tilting towards upper mids and highs and if that wasn't enough I found them very uncomfortable. I'm using Audio Technica ATH-M30's now which are OK, not great but not bad. I got them as I had another pair of AT headphones which got destroyed that I loved and thought these were the same model but they are not.

I had exactly the same experience with the HD280 Pros. Very uncomfortable (maybe I have big ears?) and harsh to listen to. I now have some HD 598SE and they are a huge improvement in both regards.

I know this is kinda a standard response, but I absolutely hated mine. Many claim them flat but I felt like they had a more harsh response tilting towards upper mids and highs and if that wasn't enough I found them very uncomfortable. I'm using Audio Technica ATH-M30's now which are OK, not great but not bad. I got them as I had another pair of AT headphones which got destroyed that I loved and thought these were the same model but they are not.
I have the HD 280 and they sound like they have that upper mid thing going on but I thought that all headphones emphasized this frequency range because that’s the only pair I’ve ever had. I find them comfortable and they do the job well for me and the upper mid emphasis is enjoyable to me as I like a dynamic tone. What I find annoying is the cable that hangs in front of me and bothers me for playing.

Austrian Audio 65x :)
Sorry!
@Chromatizm just got a pair. While they are awesomely detailed, they have a dip in the 1-4kHz region, which doesn't pair too well with guitars. In a mix that moves guitars a little to the back, especially when compared to vocals and drums.

In the FM3 I add almost 5db at 1k and 4k which improves the sound a lot. Any EQing you're doing with the X65?

Back
Top Bottom