Which powered FRFRs?

Just Joe

Powered wedges -- Xitone, Atomic CLR, RCF or Matrix CFR12??

Havent used any so it's a blind judgement call - with some of your input maybe...

Anyone compared any of these?

Oh...and none of them are cheap :)

Hi,

Matrix make some great speakers, both powered and not, I have 2 CFR12's and a GT1500FXBD Power Amp. I use this with my AxeFX 2. Hands down the best rig I've owned and I've played many amps and owned or tested most of the forum favourite monitors.

Why the Matrix speakers? Not only are they FRFR but they feel like a guitar cab which is a big factor when switching to an FRFR rig. Many PA speakers, IMHO, don't give that cab vibe and you therefore feel that something is missing. Matrix was the missing link for me.

Here is the link Matrix Guitar Amplification

Drop me a line if you have any further questions?

Spence

Do have you ab'd these with Rcf's? I have them and with the right Ir it' all cab. I have 2 , but was visiting a friends studio and put one nx12sma on the opposite side of his stacked 4x12s and he kept shaking his head saying I cannot believe so much sound comes out of such a small cab! It's a bigger sound with more 3d vibe than one 4x12 cab. And it has the power section I the wedge.

Let me tell you the only way you can decide is to try all the options for yourself. The Forum is full of opinions some of them informed many not so to the point it's funny. There are also fanboys of particular products who pop up all the time. Decide for yourself by going some critical listening to each product. Most of the behave a grace period to decide. You would be foolish to take other people's opinions one.

Let me tell you the only way you can decide is to try all the options for yourself. The Forum is full of opinions some of them informed many not so to the point it's funny. There are also fanboys of particular products who pop up all the time. Decide for yourself by going some critical listening to each product. Most of the behave a grace period to decide. You would be foolish to take other people's opinions one.

Completely agree! You should test as many options as possible, I've played and owned many speakers and each had its own positive and negative points, what works for one may not work for another, however, I don't see the harm in asking other peoples opinions on a public forum to help form that list....

Spence

Thanks all!

Unfortunately it's impossible to 'try' these cabs without buying them - and that's a lot of dough.
I realize everyone has their own opinion, and it may be biased, but looking for that too. Typically someone who IS a fanboy has had good experiences and I'm good with that info.
Spence makes a great observation of his Matrix cab - 'feels like a guitar cab'...that's one I'll take into consideration...
Or my wife will neuter me when the CC bill comes in with a $4k balance from me buying all 4 that I'm considering... :)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I've now played or heard most all of those.

I'll toss this out now, though it is premature: CLR. Holy moly. It's real, it's freaking for real. ;)

I'll be posting *much* more next week. I have a lot of testing and some gigs to get through. It's been worth the wait, I'll tell you that. First impressions are first impressions... but ****!

I'll toss this out now, though it is premature: CLR. Holy moly. It's real, it's freaking for real. ;)

I'll be posting *much* more next week. I have a lot of testing and some gigs to get through. It's been worth the wait, I'll tell you that. First impressions are first impressions... but ****!

I am very interested in hearing your thoughts Scott. Your reviews plus a few others lead me to the RCF and I know you love it so it will be interesting to hear your two cents

So you already have your CLR??? Cool!
I'm already on the waiting list, looking forward to hearing it. Do you feel it stands heads and shoulders above the previous solutions you've heard so far? At least I hope it ends my quest for an FRFR.

Last edited:
Why is there so little love for the mackie hd1221's on this site? I got one on a recommendation from a friend and I love it.

So you already have your CLR??? Cool!
I'm already on the waiting list, looking forward to hearing it. Do you feel it stands heads and shoulders above the previous solutions you've heard so far? At least I hope it ends my quest for an FRFR.

First impressions are that it's insanely accurate while being totally musical. That's important to mention; often times razor accuracy isn't always pleasing. This is totally neutral sounding - program music of all sorts sounds amazing. "Heads and shoulders above..."; too early to call that. It's damned impressive at first blush, no doubt. The CLR remains to be gig tested by me, I have very high standards and requirements. First impressions only, it's very close to the best I've ever heard anywhere near it's price point. The RCF is still sounding pretty good too ;) . But, there is no question based on my tests thus far that the CLR is more accurate; it is as close to professional studio reference level accurate as I've heard under $3000. I'm quite surprised at how 'present' and just... good it sounds so far. I will fully test this speaker in EVERY way I do and give a fully honest opinion. It's the first powered speaker that's really wow'd me off the bat since the RCF. I've got stress tests and other things to do... the proof is always in the pudding on the gig.

Scott, did you get the cab or monitor version?

Powered wedge.

I'll do my best Scott. I'm DEFINITELY not experienced in doing reviews on FRFR powered wedges though haha.
It's a little hard to review something that I feel doesn't seem affect my tone! I'll go through the features/controls though.

Is this CLR wedge monitor coaxial? Like Q12a?

Just wondering if it can be used as backline amp, not only the monitor. 8)
Hi Az,

The CLR is the only system in its market segment that delivers a true coaxial system that is also coincident - this is a key differentiator. The term "coincident" denotes a multi-way (two-way in this case) loudspeaker that functions as a single, well-behaved source of sound at all frequencies. The crossover transition is undetectable via listening OR measurement and its response at positions within the speaker's radiation pattern is essentially the same as the response on-axis. This type of behavior is not possible in other 2-way systems.

Atomic offers both cab and wedge format loudspeakers both of which can be used very effectively in a backline situation because of their dispersion characteristics (you can learn more about this on the products page of Atomic's site and in the manual). The cabs, however, more look the part, of course.

-TK

Thanks Tom, I do really appreciate your help. ;)

Just one more question - will CLR handle low-tuned 7 and 8 stringed guitars and bass guitars?

Last edited:
Hi Az,

The CLR is the only system in its market segment that delivers a true coaxial system that is also coincident - this is a key differentiator. The term "coincident" denotes a multi-way (two-way in this case) loudspeaker that functions as a single, well-behaved source of sound at all frequencies. The crossover transition is undetectable via listening OR measurement and its response at positions within the speaker's radiation pattern is essentially the same as the response on-axis. This type of behavior is not possible in other 2-way systems.
Tom - can this coincident feature be said of the passive crossover versions too? Or simpler put, what's better about the active CLRs as compared to the passive CLRs?

I understand that the DSP features of the actives are obviously not there in the passives - but what comparative set 'voicing' from the active would you say applies to the passive's tonal balance? IE Do the passive wedges have the 'pointing in your face' sound of the active's DSP setting and the cabs have 'a cab behind you' sound similar to the active's DSP setting?

Thanks Tom, I do really appreciate your help. ;)

Just one more question - will CLR handle low-tuned 7 and 8 stringed guitars and bass guitars?

The CLR's can handle a frequency response of 70Hz and up, so it should easily be able to handle down-tuned guitars. Anything under that is just sub frequencies which don't really belong in guitar tones and would cloudy up a live mix.

I actually just ordered one myself and I mainly play heavier 7-string stuff, so I'll definitely report back with my impressions ;)

Back
Top Bottom