WHICH POWER AMP TYPE TUBE/SS

thehunter

New to the family.

Trying to decide on tube or SS for the AXFX-U, Been playing Tube for a long time, tired of the hassle.

I dont play out much, if at all, basically want a power amp to jam through my cab and play with friends.

I play mostly metal. Am interested in Carvin TS100, ART SLA-2, ROCKTRON VELOCITY 300. Am leaning toward the Velo 300.

Any thoughts here?

well the Carvin TS100 is a tube power amp so you might want to skip that if you are tired of tube things. I'd say the ART SLA-2 is a good choice but it's 25lbs. The Carvin DCML line of solid state amps are all lighter from 4-16lbs and offer a bunch of different options. I use one and they suit me fine. Might be worth a look http://www.carvinguitars.com/poweramps/ . Good luck.

I have the Velocity 300. Sounds great and the reactance and definition controls give LOTS of color to your tone. It's around 20lbs.

rsf1977 said:
well the Carvin TS100 is a tube power amp so you might want to skip that if you are tired of tube things. I'd say the ART SLA-2 is a good choice but it's 25lbs. The Carvin DCML line of solid state amps are all lighter from 4-16lbs and offer a bunch of different options. I use one and they suit me fine. Might be worth a look http://www.carvinguitars.com/poweramps/ . Good luck.

Does this provide you with enuff power? How does it sound in the SS harsh dept, I read the descrip and they say they have eliminated that. Does it allow for the AXFX to sound organic (tube like) enuff?

iceman said:
I have the Velocity 300. Sounds great and the reactance and definition controls give LOTS of color to your tone. It's around 20lbs.

I have heard great things about this amp. Does it respond in a tube like way. Ho does the resonance knob change the feel, does it just add bottom end or does it actually lend to a tube like charactaristic?

D

I have the ART and a Fryette 2/50/2. No comparison. I don't really use the ART cause the Fryette sounds way better.

Had the Velocity 300 and A/B'd with my tube power amp (2 monoblocks with 6L6's). Unfortunately, the Velocity didn't come close, SS amp search continues ...

Depends on what you are looking for.
CD sound? FRFR solution
Real sound? Tube poweramp into a real cab

mhenson42 said:
I have the ART and a Fryette 2/50/2. No comparison. I don't really use the ART cause the Fryette sounds way better.

I had the Art - now have the VHT 2:50:2. Ditto the above.

However, for home playing - and the benefit of eliminating valves, the Art is 95% there.

Are you the Hunter from the MTS forums? Welcome aboard........as you can see it's real subjective the answers. I'll throw one more out there to confuse you........I use a dirt cheap Randall RP2/200 SS Analog power amp. Pretty loud, warm........kickass with the Axe... :cool: :lol:

Sixstring said:
rsf1977 said:
I'd say the ART SLA-2 is a good choice but it's 25lbs.

Did you weigh the SLA2 and find it to be heaver than the claimed 19.8 Lbs in the manuel ? Just curious.

I just googled it for the weight maybe I got an inaccurate number somewhere there a ton of guys on here that could verify it's actual weight

I use the ART and I honestly have zero problem with it's weight. It's not even a factor for me because it's in a rack with my Axe and I could helicopter the whole rack over my head if I wanted to. Still saving up for the Fryette though, as is my other guitarist and I can't wait. For less than 1/5 the price though the ART is definitely a good alternative and a worthy buy. It's also loud enough to completely overtake my volume-obsessed drummer if I ever needed to. I give it 4/5 stars

rsf1977 said:
Sixstring said:
rsf1977 said:
I'd say the ART SLA-2 is a good choice but it's 25lbs.

Did you weigh the SLA2 and find it to be heaver than the claimed 19.8 Lbs in the manuel ? Just curious.

I just googled it for the weight maybe I got an inaccurate number somewhere there a ton of guys on here that could verify it's actual weight

I have never taken the time to weigh it to see if it's actually the 19+ Lbs ART claims. based on how heavy it seems I would bet that the 25 Lbs you found is a packaged weight.

shred-o-holic said:
Are you the Hunter from the MTS forums? Welcome aboard........as you can see it's real subjective the answers. I'll throw one more out there to confuse you........I use a dirt cheap Randall RP2/200 SS Analog power amp. Pretty loud, warm........kickass with the Axe... :cool: :lol:

SHRED,

Its me bud.

Sold all my crap and came to the dark side.

:twisted:

I played the AXE for the first time last night. OMG im impressed, if the presets sound as good as they do then I know that what I put into will sound even better. But thats the KEY with this unit I suppose.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I think for now Im going to get some sweet KRK monitors and go that route. I mostly record these days so I have little need for live setup. But I think in july I will buy a power amp, monitors need to come first.

So I think im gonna look into the ART or the VELOCITY 300 at this point. Some day Ill save and get the FREYETTE :D

D

It's about time you came over.........I sold my RM 50 and modules a couple of months back.......that was after it sat and got dusty for months and months post AxeFX..... :lol: :twisted:

shred-o-holic said:
It's about time you came over.........I sold my RM 50 and modules a couple of months back.......that was after it sat and got dusty for months and months post AxeFX..... :lol: :twisted:

So you like the AXE better I take it? :twisted:

You able to get similar or better tones from it than the RM series? :?:

thehunter said:
shred-o-holic said:

That question to me is laughable I'm afraid........the answer is INFINITELY better tones than anything I've owned....Pete does some fine work on the mods for those MTS modules but to me nothing sounds like the Axe-FX....get cracking on your own patches.....you will leave those presets far behind I predict......

^hey Jim. Are you just using the Axe now - sold off all you tubes?

I don't know if I'm ready to go 100% Axe yet. I've been thinking about selling my Herbert because I have a/b'd extensively with the Axe and have come really close. I'm too attached to that damn amp. I keep buying amps though. I just got another Bogner Uber over the weekend - gonna make an Uber patch now. :lol:

shred-o-holic said:
thehunter said:
[quote="shred-o-holic":2z8cqtuo]It's about time you came over.........I sold my RM 50 and modules a couple of months back.......that was after it sat and got dusty for months and months post AxeFX..... :lol: :twisted:

That question to me is laughable I'm afraid........the answer is INFINITELY better tones than anything I've owned....Pete does some fine work on the mods for those MTS modules but to me nothing sounds like the Axe-FX....get cracking on your own patches.....you will leave those presets far behind I predict......[/quote:2z8cqtuo]

Do you have anything on the AXE-CHANGE I could download? Like to see what you comeing up with on this unit. I am a little overwhelmed right now with verything this little box has, HOLY F**K BATMAN!!! :twisted: so a push in the right direction would surely help a bro. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom