Which power amp, SS or Tube when using a 4x12?

tlingen

Inspired
What power amp type and model is everyone using when playing their Axe-Fx II into 4x12's?

I have my Axe-Fx II going out to my DAW over S/PDIF for recording and also have it going to an Art SLA2 and out to my 4x12's. I'm looking to replace the Art SLA2 but I'm not sure if i should replace with it with another SS amp like a Matrix or a tube guitar power amp. I welcome everyone's thoughts or ideas.

That's a preferential question and will be answered with what that individual likes. That said based on what is being said about the Matrix with respect to feel and response you could go that direction.

I have nothing against tube power amps but if your giging a lot and have to haul your own gear around I would opt for the Matrix. The fact that it is light, powerful and small backed up with the lack of maintenance that is required is a big plus.

Another factor is how loud do you need it?

If using a tube amp for color/distortion/compression sans the Axe's powr amp sims then you'll want a tube power amp that you can drive to it's sweet spot without being too loud etc.

If using the Axe's power amp sims and a SS amp that issue goes away.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not currently gigging, just jamming with others at high volumes and recording some. When I'm playing loud, I still like to monitor through my 4x12's. I was just wondering what others are using when playing through their 4x12's? So I'm thinking a Matrix, Atomic FR Tube 50/50 or a VHT guitar power amp. I'm wondering if the Atomic FR Tube 50/50 would be the best of both worlds. Tube and still FR so I can use the Cab sims in the AxeII.

I've used the rocktron velo as well as an EHX 44mag(plenty loud) but my 1000GT matrix is tough to beat. Looking forward to their passives. Matrix has/is working on powered/unpowered wedge type thingys. If you are playing through any standard 4x12, you probably wont want can sims on. I use power amp sims for all of the power amps I have tried.

Back
Top Bottom