which parameters open up the amp sound?

stm113

Power User
Which parameter(s) should be used to make an amp in the Axe sound more open/organic? I was playing the EuroUber and it sounds very compressed (though compressed may not be the best term maybe I should say focused) and I want to give it a little more "breath".

I like to raise the amp bias a little bit as well seems to open things up a bit dynamics counter clockwise opens it up too

Agree on the Xformer Match. I often run it at 0.7 (defaults at 1.0). My new Dumble project has it at 0.5, the lowest I've ever run it.

I don't know about the EuroUber, but the Dumble has two gain controls. These make a HUGE difference in the openness of the amp. With the Dumble, I run the Input Drive at 2.0 and the Overdrive at 9.0. Also, I tried backing off the Input Trim, but left it at 1.0.

Okay, EuroUber only has the one gain control - I just checked. First place I'd look before going deeper is the Master Volume location relative to the Input Drive. I'd start with MV at 10 and work down. There is a happy spot with every amp, I've found. Turn Compression off, don't use a Compressor block, probably turn Depth off. I'm not sure what Master Volume Trim does - but I suspect it's a piece of the puzzle.

Finally, IME, IRs have a huge effect. I splurged $40 on the two new OwnHammer packages and have found them worth every dime. The hard part is there are so many great choices, but I tend to stick with Live/Vintage tones and go for cabs related to the amp when I can. However, my Dumble patch is running a Celestion G12-65 and Alnico Blue for IRs. These sound so good together - very alive and open - I will definitely try these on other patches. Lacking the OH IRs, I'd stick with the Fractal Mix series.

With a monster like the Uber I'd suggest to start from 0, turn up until you found the sweet spot between tight and full.

I actually just messed with the Uber for the first time in a long time. It the past it had been really boomy and I didn't like it. This time, I kept the master really low and turned the mids and treble around 9 and the presence around 5 and it really opened it up. Also, the 'Cut' really helps to tame the boomy low end.

I seem to recall a post by Cliff talking about a common mistake he sees is running MV amps with the MV to high. I believe he recommended starting at 3-4 MV (to find sweet spot for power amp compression) and use block mixer-level to increase volume.

I'll try to find the post.. I'm sure I butchered it.

edit: The post I was talking about

Last edited:
I seem to recall a post by Cliff talking about a common mistake he sees is running MV amps with the MV to high. I believe he recommended starting at 3-4 MV (to find sweet spot for power amp compression) and use block mixer-level to increase volume.

That's about the size of it as I recall too :encouragement:

MV too high can make things get pretty flubby, pretty quickly

Sure fire: MV down and or Xformer Match down. Turning down the Compression in the amp block works as well. (FWIW): a little goes a long way. :encouragement:

Thanks guys I am going to mess with each and every one of these suggestions tonight. I am also going to try out my newly purchased OH Modern IR Package. Now I gotta figure out which ones I want to try...

edit: The post I was talking about

Thank you for sharing this. As with almost all of Cliff's posts there was very useful information. I also agree with the suggestion of some kind of advanced tutorial.

Lower the preamp gain. ;)

This is something that I have been wanting to work on but I am caught in that battle between lower gain and having enough sustain, especially when recording direct. Any tips?

Back
Top Bottom